My new Steyr SSG 04

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 10

Re: My new Steyr SSG 04

Post by Beiruty »

I love the scope and the rifle, the only disappointing issue is that the scope moved forward under recoil. The screws were tightened as much as possible. Still I had to unscrew, reposition the scope and tightened a bit more. The net result is the scope has now scratches marks from the underside of the scope. :grumble
As for recoil, there is almost none more than a 223 or 240. Very soft in my book, thank to the amazing factory muzzle brake.No need for gel pad of any kind.
I was able to get initial zeroing with 1" at 50 yrds in 4 rds only. Sweet scope clicks. If the scope did not move I would not have needed to adjusted again.
Total rds fired 20.
Now time to develop some hand loads :hurry: :hurry: :coolgleamA:
Here is the initial zeroing with lowest cost possible brass hunting loads (Herter's select brass):
Target was at 100 yrds.
Last edited by Beiruty on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Beiruty, we'll have to get you out to PCSC and see how it groups at 250 yards.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Beiruty, we'll have to get you out to PCSC and see how it groups at 250 yards.
Sure where is the place?
Beiruty,

The Annoyed Man

It's about an hour and 10 minutes NW of Grapevine. It's a private club which I just joined: http://www.parkersportsman.com/. There are three rifle ranges there. One is 25 and 50 yards. One is 100 yards. And one is 200 and 250 yards.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:It's about an hour and 10 minutes NW of Grapevine. It's a private club which I just joined: http://www.parkersportsman.com/. There are three rifle ranges there. One is 25 and 50 yards. One is 100 yards. And one is 200 and 250 yards.
We can go also to http://www.topguntexas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They have 500 yrds range. Nice folks and friendly on the range.
Now it is time to press some rounds.
Beiruty,

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Digging up this post to link to it the photos of yesterday shooting meet. I am so happy that I was able to shoot Sub MOA at 500 yards.
https://goo.gl/photos/WeUucYrZRZBRY5pW6

Oh I need a limbsaver on the SSG. My shoulder pocket is reddish and sore Maybe shooting some 120 rds of 300WM and 30-06 is to be blamed :evil2:
Beiruty,

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bitter Clinger »

AndyC wrote::thumbs2:

I need to make the next one once I get my gear all squared away and presentable in public :)
Clearly you have over-estimated us :oops:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

The Annoyed Man

AndyC wrote:Oh, you didn't see my spectacular 2/25 on skeet with a 12ga-to-410 converter cartridge :lol:
He didn't, but I did. The only time I ever scored higher in skeet than AndyC.......

#TINVOWOOT

Lena
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lena »

by Beiruty » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:29 am
Oh I need a limbsaver on the SSG. My shoulder pocket is reddish and sore Maybe shooting some 120 rds of 300WM and 30-06 is to be blamed :evil2:

One fine day in years passed we were off duty snooping in the Arms room and found some WW2 HE rifle grenades and got to inquiring about them, we found a FM on them, I had to shoot one so we got a Garand and launcher & crimped blanks from storage with our CO with us and researched it, there was a picture showing of shoulder firing, Col Fielding said it is you idea so have at it we shall watch, well after a quick read we were off to the range with medics as per regs. I loaded the grenade and pushed it all the way down for max range and chambered a blank, my target was an old fuel tank I day lighted it as told and fired from the shoulder, the back blast blew my muffs off, head cover off & safety glasses were barely still on I over shot the tank on the other side we heard a loud bang, the recoil made my 458 seem like a 22 rf, never have I felt that amount of recoil , they all were having a big laugh. I asked someone else to shoot one where I could watch, no takers, I offered to shoot another if they would no takers, I shot 1 more and got a hit, that was my recoil event, the trap door on the Garand buttstock outline was very visible in my skin.
Stay Safe

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”