Wife says "OK", let the building commence

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Selina Kyle
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Wife gives the "OK"

Post by Selina Kyle »

How wonderful! That's great that she is warming up to firearms. I was never anti-gun, but I had zero experience with them, which made me fearful. I can tell you that what ultimately made me comfortable was learning everything I could. I personally learned mostly from my husband, and that was best for me. But all women may not feel that way.

Best of luck with this, and be sure to share pics of that AR when you get it!!! :cheers2:
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Keith B wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
sbrawley wrote:She asked about getting a CHL the other day mainly due to the layout of the retail store she works at. She wanted to know if she could carry while working. I told her that since her store isn't posted that she possibly could as a "customer" but she would need to check store policy for employees carrying.
She should NOT check the store policy.

If she has not been given written notice using 30.06 language (such as an employee handbook), or been given verbal notice by a person with authority to do so, then it is legal for her to carry in the store.

However, if the store is large enough that she needs to ask someone, the answer is very likely to be "no". If it is a large retail operation with an organized Human Resources department, the question of firearms will create consternation, concern, and a strong desire to "do something". Then she has been given notice and it would be a Class A Misdemeanor to carry. She will have also inadvertently made herself on focal point of concern.

Of course, if she is working in a small Mom & Pop outfit where the owner likes to go shooting with the employees, that is a different scenario all together. My concerns apply to large businesses and are based on 35+ years experience interacting with HR/Legal/Risk type people.
She needs to refer to any employee manual or new employee orientation she was given concerning weapons. As JF states, if there is no verbal notification or written notification in the form of 30.06, then she can LEGALLY carry. However, if the store has an employee policy about not carrying she could be subject to dismissal, whether they notify her or not.
I am also aware of employers that include 30.06 language in the employee manual, subjecting a violator to arrest and prosecution.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

TomsTXCHL
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TomsTXCHL »

sbrawley wrote:She asked questions about how I would safely keep it and I told her that I would keep the rifle hidden behind my dresser and the ammo locked in the safe (we have 4 kids, so obviously that was the most important issue).
Hmmm why would you think "behind the dresser" will work? Not with any kid I've been or have ever known. :shock:

Get at a minimum a cheap Stack-On metal cabinet; the smallest one is $100 bucks--if you have a Tractor Supply near you they will have the best price I think.

I suppose as an alternative you could lock the bolt-up in your safe, but I'm still not sure I want my kids playing with America's Rifle when I'm not around.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

jbarn wrote:I am also aware of employers that include 30.06 language in the employee manual, subjecting a violator to arrest and prosecution.
In the HR field, best practices will include having all new employees sign an acknowledgement that they have received a copy of the HR manual and agree to abide with its terms. These signed copies are then kept in the HR file to be produced as evidence if required. Careful employers will even require annual signed acknowledgements. This practice is primarily intended to assist in defending wrongful termination lawsuits, but it obviously also assists in criminal prosecution as applicable.

Conversely, many employers will have elaborate HR manuals, however, no means to demonstrate the employee ever actually received a copy. This would obviously aid the defense of such charges.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

DocV

Post by DocV »

TomsTXCHL wrote:
sbrawley wrote:She asked questions about how I would safely keep it and I told her that I would keep the rifle hidden behind my dresser and the ammo locked in the safe (we have 4 kids, so obviously that was the most important issue).
Hmmm why would you think "behind the dresser" will work? Not with any kid I've been or have ever known. :shock:

Get at a minimum a cheap Stack-On metal cabinet; the smallest one is $100 bucks--if you have a Tractor Supply near you they will have the best price I think.

I suppose as an alternative you could lock the bolt-up in your safe, but I'm still not sure I want my kids playing with America's Rifle when I'm not around.
:iagree:

I keep my bolt carriers in a separate safe just to be on the safe side. No little ones here but one never knows when a neighbor might want to put one under Mrs DocV's watchful eye.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

what you do "in the meantime" is you put an exterior door lock on your closet. it's cheap, and easy. then you can put your gun on the top shelf in your closet, put your keys in your pocket, and in your wife's pocket, or on the top ledge of the closet door. this is exactly what we did back when ours were young and we couldn't afford a safe.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

sbrawley wrote:*UPDATE*

After consulting with a few friends and discussing with the wife, I have decided to build my AR15. The reasoning is my wife wasn't thrilled about the price of the rifle I want, and the rifles priced in her range weren't very suitable for me. So I figured I would "extend" the cost of what I wanted over a period of time in order to maintain our monthly budget while building.
Excellent idea.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

sbrawley wrote:My journey towards building my AR began last night after purchasing the lower receiver, a lower receiver parts kit, and the stock. Today, my FFL agreed to accept the lower when it arrives. :woohoo

Hopefully within the next 2 months I'll be able to purchase the upper and accessories. :rolll

I am ready to take on this new and exciting challenge of building my first rifle and learning the mechanics of these well designed machines.
Awesome!!!! Best of luck with your build & keep us posted. :)
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

AndyC wrote:
sbrawley wrote:My journey towards building my AR began last night after purchasing the lower receiver, a lower receiver parts kit, and the stock. Today, my FFL agreed to accept the lower when it arrives. :woohoo
Excellent news - it's exciting :)

The one bit of advice I can give you (not from personal experience, but from the writings of others) about installing the LPK (Lower Parts Kit) into the receiver is... be careful when tapping in the trigger-guard - you don't want to break off the ears like this guy:

[ Image ]
:cryin :cryin :cryin Making me afraid of building my own because that would be me sure as anything. My nickname has been Murphy at various times over the years.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”