Tavor First Impressions

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Superman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tavor First Impressions

Post by Superman »

I got my Tavor a couple months ago and love it. I've only had the time to take it out to sight in and took it out for a 3-gun match. It's awesome...the only thing I'm changing on it is the handguard so I can put a small rail section on it for my light. I also just got my suppressor (haven't even shot it yet) that I'm going to put on this thing :mrgreen: It's my first bullpup (and suppressor) so I don't have any comparison knowledge, but I totally dig this gun!

I'd go shoot with whoever if it's BYOA (bring your own ammo), but can't go in July (too busy until first week of Aug.).

Topic author
RSJ
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RSJ »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
RSJ wrote:If anyone has questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them.
Yeah.... if I can get you out to a range with a 275 yard backstop, can I shoot your Tvor? :mrgreen:
Of course you can.
NRA Member

bnc

Post by bnc »

The Annoyed Man wrote: The main thing standing between me and a Tvor is price. Don't get me wrong, I think its a pretty good piece of kit. I just don't think it is worth $1,700 of my dollars right now. Someone else's mileage may vary. They've got a great idea, and it may simply be that price is being dictated by availability, but I think its intrinsic (to me) value is probably $500-$600 or more less than what they seem to be going for.

I'm not knocking it at all. I think most high-end AR15s are overpriced too for what they are.
I completely agree. I would take a $1200-1300 Tavor in a heartbeat.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 5

Post by MechAg94 »

psijac wrote:The x95 variant looks great. It's even shorter and the mag release button is in the right place. I'd love to see a tavor in .300 blackout

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012 ... 5-45x39mm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One of the reasons I started looking at the Tavor was because they were going to make a 5.45 conversion kit. They canceled that. I doubt I would buy a separate 5.45 version unless it was cheaper. Would love to have one though.

74novaman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 74novaman »

bnc wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: The main thing standing between me and a Tvor is price. Don't get me wrong, I think its a pretty good piece of kit. I just don't think it is worth $1,700 of my dollars right now. Someone else's mileage may vary. They've got a great idea, and it may simply be that price is being dictated by availability, but I think its intrinsic (to me) value is probably $500-$600 or more less than what they seem to be going for.

I'm not knocking it at all. I think most high-end AR15s are overpriced too for what they are.
I completely agree. I would take a $1200-1300 Tavor in a heartbeat.
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but they are drifting down in price. I picked one up for ~$1500 recently.

When the x95 comes out, the old style Tavors may hit the 1300 range.

I am very, very happy with mine so far. Worth every penny.
TANSTAAFL

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Beiruty wrote:Too much money with a trigger issue, If Bullpup is not an issue, I would pick the new ARX100 or SIG556xi. If you want a bullpup get the Styer Aug.

That's the way to rain on a guy's parade.

Edit: oops, didn't realize this is an old thread that was revived. Parade raining comment is still valid.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

mojo84 wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Too much money with a trigger issue, If Bullpup is not an issue, I would pick the new ARX100 or SIG556xi. If you want a bullpup get the Styer Aug.

That's the way to rain on a guy's parade.
If the internet is to be believed, the Tavor trigger is a nightmare and everyone on the planet should be ashamed of it. Every time I've shot one, its been more than acceptable. Add in the multiple drop in options and I'd say the "issue" isnt that big a deal

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Then my comment is retracted.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Taypo wrote:
If the internet is to be believed, the Tavor trigger is a nightmare and everyone on the planet should be ashamed of it. Every time I've shot one, its been more than acceptable. Add in the multiple drop in options and I'd say the "issue" isnt that big a deal
Yep. Much like the M&P trigger that gets trashed alot online, I find it to be tolerable. No, it's not a bench rest shooting competition trigger. Given the lack of an enclosed trigger guard, I'm pretty okay with a slightly heavier trigger for the gun and I've found it manageable for minute of man shooting from 25-300 yards....which is all I really ask of the gun.

There are aftermarket options that are supposed to make a drastic improvement if you need one, but if I want to shoot a nice trigger I'll just grab my SSA-E equipped AR.
TANSTAAFL

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 5

Post by MechAg94 »

The upgraded to the Gieselle trigger on mine. That was the easiest trigger change out I have ever done. I am mulling over the other add on options that are available. IMO, the stock trigger was't any worse than a stock AR trigger. It just had a different feel to it. The upgraded trigger is

Didn't the Steyr Aug have a lot of issues back in the day? A bad trigger being one of them.

I was disappointed in the 5.45 conversion being canceled also. It wasn't the only reason I got it though.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”