Ruger 762

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
markthenewf
Posts in topic: 3

Ruger 762

Post by markthenewf »

I have a 18" FAL. It is a beast and a fun one at that.

Ruger now has a gas-piston AR-type rifle. It is not so much of a beast and everyone gives it thumbs up. It also takes Magpul 308 mags.

I want one, but I'm at a stage where if one comes in, the other's gotta go! Considering the condition and type of FAL (DSA metric w/trigger, top cover, n' goodies), I'm sure I'd make money going from it to the Ruger.

I'm kinda/sorta feeling like.....

Ugh.... it's such a decent rifle for a reasonable price. Any other available maker wants in excess of $2k for it...... but I likes me FAL, darnit! Oh the humanity. At least it's the weekend and I can drink n' think about it.

Anybody shot/seen/used/heard anything about this rifle? I've not seen much at all, and I've never actually seen/held one.
Cheers!

Mark

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ruger 762

Post by SQLGeek »

Hickok45 had a video on it not that long ago and seemed to really enjoy it. It's on my short list for .308 rifles.
Psalm 91:2

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

I am kinda in the wanting stage for an SR-762.

Can we hear from someone who has touched one?
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

sooperdooper

Post by sooperdooper »

I have been reading a lot about the SR762 lately as well as handling one a lot. Over all it seems to be built very well and strong. I like that the lower internals are all AR15 parts. That makes it real easy to drop in a trigger and fond replacement parts. The buffer tube is a milspec tube, just an inch or so longer than a standard AR15.

My one gripe, and the only gripe, is the piston system gas block and handguard. The handguard is NOT a free float. It's mounted at the front of the upper receiver and attached at the gas block as well. The size and position of the gas block prohibits swapping the hand guard. At least it seems to be that way when handling it. I've also heard a lot of complaints about the block/piston system being very difficult to disassemble and clean.

Don't let that scare you away from it, those are just my observations. At the price point of $1599, I think it's a great value piston driven AR10. The Sig 716 is just a couple hundred more, that too is a great rifle.

In the end, I purchased a Patriot P308. Way more than I intended on spending, but that was due to one of my ARs getting stolen from my truck.
46 days MB to MB

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

It looks good from the aspect of the Ruger website. Ruger makes good guns no question about that, I would wait a while (1 year) and see what is said about them then or, see if there is a recall. It's your money and your aggravation if there are problems.

Just a little friendly advise. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
markthenewf

Post by markthenewf »

I hear ya. I got a first gen LAR-8 and it was a jam-o-matic. After that, I had a real lust for the RFB when it first came out. Since I had a metric FAL, I could use the same mags. They're now in Gen 3, and they appear to be getting even better. Perhaps I'm better off just saving my dough for one of those.
Cheers!

Mark

Topic author
markthenewf

Post by markthenewf »

One of my local gun shops had one, so I fondled it a bit. First impression is that it's solid. Everything is tight and nothing rattles, but it feels heavier than my DSA FAL. Perhaps it's the big handguard. The trigger was unusually heavy to me and the break of ok but not great. I'm still on the fence, but the weight might be an issue.
Cheers!

Mark

rotor

Post by rotor »

I bought one. The early models had teething problems with failure to feed, etc. The later versions were supposed to be over that. Well, not true. I bought a later model and everything jammed. Called Ruger, they said send it back and they fixed it and it feeds everything and doesn't skip a beat including cheap steel cased ammo so I am a happy camper. they also got the trigger down do a more reasonable 5+ # from the 8.5 pounds that it was. Ruger stands behind their products and at least it comes with a set of fold down front and rear sights. I am happy with it but I did waste money on ammo on initial firing to see what the problem was when I first got it. So, if you buy one save the box as you may need it to ship it back.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Actually, markthenewf, Gun-Tests magazine just recently did a comparison between the 762 and the Springfield Armory Socom 16.....which if I recall correctly, you have experience owning. If you have a subscription account, you can read the comparison here: http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/26_9/fe ... 326-1.html
308s: Ruger’s SR-762 Versus Springfield Armory’s Socom 16
We recently tested these two production rifles built on familiar, but vastly different, gas platforms to see which one we’d buy as a handy rifle for self defense, hunting, and all-round fun.
They gave the Ruger a "B", and the M1A a "B+".

They said that the Ruger top end was really nice, but that the bottom end had a horrible trigger, with a pull of 10.5 lb.

The M1A has a 4.5 lb trigger, and at an MSRP of $1905, it costs $300 less than the Ruger's MSRP. I'm not trying to sell you on the Springfield, but since you've had experience with owning and shooting one, you've at least got something to compare to with the Ruger..... if that helps.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

For shorter ranges, the M1A SOCUM is a hell of a handy rifle to shoot. IMO, the weight is better balanced to the rear with the shorter barrel. Also, if someone gets to close, it is easier to use the butt stock as a weapon.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”