Bug a Salt - new kind of shotgun

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Bug a Salt - new kind of shotgun

Post by philip964 »

http://www.thedailyepic.com/this-might- ... -get-this/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wish there was more information and not just the dramatic slow motion shooting scenes.

Topic author
philip964

Re: Bug a Salt - new kind of shotgun

Post by philip964 »

A review of the gun shows more information

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unicorn Rancher
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Unicorn Rancher »

Not so new. search.php?keywords=bugasalt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Unicorn Rancher wrote:Not so new. search.php?keywords=bugasalt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, as noted in the other thread, I have had mine for a couple of years. They do a pretty good job, but it's a lot like having a shotgun with no bead, the sights are there but pretty much useless and the effective range is just a couple of feet. They work pretty good on flies, but grain moths (the bane of bird owners) usually take a couple of shots, and mosquitoes only hold still when they are mounted on skin so . . . at short range the salt hurts.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Guy tried to sell me one at the monthly local firearms show. He had a complete story laid out as to the benefits and everything. I think a 6mm airsoft is better. A person must practice all the safety and techniques of a regular firearm. They are quite accurate 10+ feet and you don't get stung while shooting yellow jackets. The juicy buggers splatter nicely. I've even shot down nests with one. Great fun on the porch with flies also.

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

I like it, but wonder about cleaning. Can't imagine that table salt doesn't absorb moisture and stick together such that the works get gunked-up after a while.

I guess diatomaceous earth, which btw kills bugs unfortunate enough just to WALK ON it, would likely be too fine and leak into the innards or some such.

Owners, what alt ammo have you tried!? How to clean the thing when the salt makes like a dessicant? :???: :cool: :lol:

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I haven't had any problems with cleaning, nor have I had any clumping problems, even with the one that I keep loaded next to my chair.

I would characterize accuracy and effectiveness at ten feet as being totally non-existent. I have patterned mine against newspaper and find them to be effective out to about three feet.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

jimlongley wrote:I haven't had any problems with cleaning, nor have I had any clumping problems, even with the one that I keep loaded next to my chair.

I would characterize accuracy and effectiveness at ten feet as being totally non-existent. I have patterned mine against newspaper and find them to be effective out to about three feet.
I wonder if you have large clumps of Daddy Long Legs spiders in Allen, and how the Bug-A-Salt might do from a foot or so again some of these balls we get around our house...?

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

Cabelas sells them for anyone who is interested.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Rugrash

Post by Rugrash »

Ambushed a fly in the living room tonight with mine. First shot incapacitated him and the second it was lights out. My daughter loves it.

Napier

Post by Napier »

I find that it is a great aid for learning to shoot off-hand, like getoffame style. I shoot mine gangsta now all the time. But be very careful shooting around others. The ricochet off of a flat surface is wicked.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

England's George V had a bespoke bug assaulter.
at 3:10 you'll see one of three 1/6 scale hammer guns made for him. Two were presented and the third kept at the shop as a loaner should one need repair.
[youtube][/youtube]
George was a keen sportsman and reportedly shot 2 dozen tigers over a 10 day period in Nepal. Another report has him downing 1000 pheasants(driven birds on a private estate) in 6 hours.
The guns were a gift to commemorate the silver jubilee of his reign and were something of a comfort as his health was in decline and he was unable to visit the shooting grounds. He was heard to complain about the price for the Kynoch shells, the equivalent of $5.00 each in 1935. That's $87.00 in 2014.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Very interesting vidio.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

I got to play with one last weekend. It's good sport at the lake.
I found it to be effective within less than 12" on big flies... More distance than that and it just pushes them around.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I donated to the indiegogo campaign, and got two of them at a discounted price way back when.....probably a year ago or longer. Fun, but I rarely use mine now that the novelty has worn off. I gave the other one to my son. I doubt he even knows where he left it last.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”