Springfield M1A-1

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Springfield M1A-1

Post by MechAg94 »

My only other suggestion is that if you are only looking for shorter ranges, the SOCOM or Scout models will be shorter and a lot handier to carry around. My SOCOM while not light, is decently balanced to carry around and good for the shorter ranges it is intended for.

Topic author
Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

I am definitely not ruling out the Scout. Qualifies as long range relative to my use case and can also be more readily scoped.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

markthenewf wrote:Had one, shot great, but some substandard parts (produced elesewhere) gave me fits so I got rid of it. The only other bummer I remember is that mags were a bit pricy at the time.
I still have 5 or 6 mags from mine....... just in case I buy another M1A.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Barron76
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Barron76 »

One of my favorite rifles, you wont regret the purchase.

jtran987
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jtran987 »

M1As are awesome! I have the Socom 16 and a Loaded in an EBR stock. If you go with a scout mount, it's a bit hard to find a correct optic that will work due to the very long eye relief.

Topic author
Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

My father-in-law wants to sell me a Swarovski 2.5-10x42. Does anyone know if this would be a proper scope for a Scout Squad? Also, looking for a quality scope-smith in the DFW area. Pardon my noobishness.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:My father-in-law wants to sell me a Swarovski 2.5-10x42. Does anyone know if this would be a proper scope for a Scout Squad? Also, looking for a quality scope-smith in the DFW area. Pardon my noobishness.
You should only buy a scope that is specifically marketed as a "scout" scope. Other low magnification variable power scopes do NOT necessarily have long eye relief.

Examples: Edited to add: The links I have provided above are all from SWFA, which is located in Red Oak, just south of Dallas. I have purchased a number of scopes from them, although they are not my exclusive supplier. But I usually check SWFA first because they have a HUGE inventory. If you bring your rifle (with the bolt removed from the action), they can also mount and bore sight for you.....for a fee. I purchased my last scope, a Vortex Viper PST, from Cabelas in Fort Worth, and mounted and bore sighted it myself.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Thank you, TAM. This is exactly what I needed. :tiphat:

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”