Building an AR-10

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
PBratton
Posts in topic: 3

Building an AR-10

Post by PBratton »

So, I just could not resist the deal that Palmetto has on their new AR-10 upper and lower.

Guess I'll be collecting parts to get 'er done.

Was thinking I'd do an 18 inch barrel, let's hear your ideas on which ones I should look at.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Building an AR-10

Post by MeMelYup »

What caliber and what range (300, 600,,,1000) are you contemplating?

Topic author
PBratton

Post by PBratton »

MeMelYup wrote:What caliber and what range (300, 600,,,1000) are you contemplating?

Would like to try out to the limits of the round, but practically, 3-600 would be MY limits.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Rex B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rex B »

Tempting. They also had some other great deals:

16" upper complete less BCG & CH $199.99
Walther P22 camo $239.99
Weaver 1x20 scope for $20
VZ2008 $399.99
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

PBratton wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:What caliber and what range (300, 600,,,1000) are you contemplating?

Would like to try out to the limits of the round, but practically, 3-600 would be MY limits.
An 18 inch barrel will get you 3 possibly 500 yards no problem, if you want 6 and better you would be better off with 22 to 24 inches.

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

I have the Sig 716 Heavy that has an 18". Once I got it sighted and stable, I was able to do 500 yards (about) with some training and instruction.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Topic author
PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Well, I don't want to put wheels on the thing to get it out to the range...

Guess I'll look for a good 18" barrel. Any suggestions?

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Respectfully, why make an AR-10 if you can't take advantage of the round for longer distance shooting? A longer barrel is the bee's knees if you're going .308.

EDIT: TO be clear I'm not being critical, but a major claim to fame on semi-auto .308s vs. .556s is their range and that people who like them typically are people who want long distance tack drivers. Is that not a reason you're building the AR-10?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

MeMelYup wrote:
PBratton wrote:

An 18 inch barrel will get you 3 possibly 500 yards no problem, if you want 6 and better you would be better off with 22 to 24 inches.
Agree. At least a 20". Mine has an 18" bbl, and it is extraordinarily accurate, but although I haven't chrono'd any loads out of it, I suspect that they are down from what I get with the same loads out of a 26" bbl R700. 18" bbl is loud, too.

The guy I bought it from gave me the shooters log that he kept, and the furthest he had ever shot with it was 647 yards........at which distance it was printing 4.5" groups.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Palmetto now has AR-10 complete uppers.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... andle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

This will be an interesting thread.
TSRA Life Memeber

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Yeah, and I have this funny feeling like it's going cost me some $$.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

Me too. I just learned about PSA selling these parts. I just know I won't be able to stop myself. Darnit!!!
TSRA Life Memeber

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”