AR Project, I may have caught the bug

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 17

Re: AR Project, I may have caught the bug

Post by Scott B. »

Now, my build really is final - except for the optic. There are other quality weapons in the safe, but this one is my favorite because I built it.
build01.jpg
Magazine well with custom laser etching ensures I'll not sell this one.
Magazine well with custom laser etching ensures I'll not sell this one.
Best value add-on? It's a coin flip between the stock or charging handle. I was surprised at the difference the BCM Gunfighter charging handle made (ease of use), but the Magpul buttstock was a solid improvement over the slop of the milspec M4 stock.

Long term, the gas piston kit will save me ton of cleaning time. But I've never minded that task, and enjoy it actually.

Had several minor challenges in the build, but only one weird showstopper. I had two magazine catches from separate bagged lower parts kits that were a 1/4" longer than carbine spec. Borrowed the correct one from an unused rifle. See attached image. Oddities have been tagged and put in the spare parts bin. If I knew what lower they went to...I'd probably have to build one of whatever it is. :mrgreen:
2 incorrect magazine catches top, Osprey operating rods bottom showing standard and nonstandard
2 incorrect magazine catches top, Osprey operating rods bottom showing standard and nonstandard
Build list:

SAA SA-15 Lower
Del-Ton 16" Upper
Seekins MCSR V2 FF Rail
YHM-9383 Low Profile Gas Block
Osprey OPS-416 Gas Piston Kit + nonstandard operating rod for longer barrel nut travel
Magpul MOE-K2 Grip
Magpul CTR Buttstock
Magpul MBUS Gen 2 sights
Gladio Compensator AR15-AM
Midwest Industries KeyMod Panel Kit
Bravo Company Gunfighter Charging Handle Mod 4 (Medium)
Enhanced Trigger Guard, manufacturer uncertain, possibly Field Sport
Fortis QD End Plate

Optics. I'd narrowed my choices to the EOTech EXPS2 or Aimpoint PRO. With my less than 20/20 vision, I think I've reluctantly eliminated the EOTech. A new contender is the Mepro Tru-Dot RDS Red Dot by Meprolight. All are in the same price range give or take $50 from what I can find.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

For kicks, I painted the front sight post of the Magpul MBUS on this rifle. Turned out pretty good, but I need to get it out in the bright sun to see if I can pick it up better.

And, I'm loving the Mepro Tru-Dot RDS optic.
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg

goose
Posts in topic: 1

Post by goose »

Scott B. wrote:I had two magazine catches from separate bagged lower parts kits that were a 1/4" longer than carbine spec. Borrowed the correct one from an unused rifle.
wider for the new double stack magazines? :biggrinjester:

I am an AR noobie but thuroughly enjoying my bug infection as well. Some of the roll pins have been my nemesis. Something like you describe might have driven me bonkers trying to figure it out. Did you notice it before you tried to install them or did you have to fight it for a bit?

Nice build, BTW.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

My wallet says I'm enjoying it too much too! Next on my list is either a AR pistol/future SBR or a 20" A4 (maybe an A2).

The odd magazine catches turned out to be for AR-10s, so I've got an excuse to build a 308 someday. The manufacturer sent me the correct catches for free and said to keep the others.

Edit: I'm confusing two of my threads.

The mag catch threw me for a couple of minutes before I decided I wasn't crazy and they really didn't fit. It just didn't compute but fortunately had others that I could compare with.

apostate

Post by apostate »

What build steps are easy for a solo first timer and which go much smoother with some help?

The lower build kit I want is still out of stock. What parts are worth buying a la carte if I go to a build party? The idea being I could add the easy stuff on my own when my preferred parts are available.

Much obliged. :tiphat:

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

You can do it all yourself, but if you have access to a build party that would be a fun way to learn. Having all the right tools make it easier. You can get by with basic tools, if you are patient and don't get frustrated easily. I watched a ton of youtube videos for visual references and had a couple of build guides printed out.

This guide at AR15.com is solid: http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steps that are tricky first time:

Installing the Bolt Catch. Not hard, but it is ridiculously easy to put a gouge in your lower's finish. Tape off that side of the lower with a couple of layers, paying attention to where your hammer and punch might strike. The 'pliers' method of installing the pin works great if the lower isn't on a vice block and you don't have both hands free.

Pivot Pin installation can also be frustrating. There is an installation tool, but you can hold that detent pin down with a thin knife blade, or a small frosting knife, and slide the pivot pin past it.

Trigger and Hammer installation. Make sure the springs are correctly installed. Getting the pin into the hammer can be tricky when you're dealing with spring tension.

A good method is to use a punch through the lower and trigger/hammer assemblies to hold them in place. Then push the punch out with the pin.

A la cart parts that won't break the bank and make a big difference? Buttstock, and it will only take a minute to swap.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Pivot pin is the hard one. Note the trick above.
I bought a CMMG parts kit. Comes in color coded bags.
From there, it's just a matter of following this video: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Scott B. wrote:For kicks, I painted the front sight post of the Magpul MBUS on this rifle. Turned out pretty good, but I need to get it out in the bright sun to see if I can pick it up better.

And, I'm loving the Mepro Tru-Dot RDS optic.
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg
If you haven't purchased a magnified scope for this build yet, I just ran across this new item from Vortex this morning: http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... dc-reticle.

MSRP is $429, which means that you might be able to find it for less somewhere. In fact, I see that SWFA has it for $329: http://swfa.com/Vortex-1-6x24-Strike-Ea ... 79101.aspx.

It is a second focal plane scope, but you do get Vortex quality. If I were looking for an entry level 1-4x or 1-6x, I would take a real hard look at this one.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

It's enjoyable to build an AR. But it's more of an "assembly" rather than a "build". Compared to an AK, it's a piece of cake. I got on an AR pistol kick and built 3 uppers. And I only have one pistol lower to use for them. Guess I need to get busy on another pistol lower.

I saw a guy on YouTube who posted a video called "Stop buying AR's". He totaled up the cost of all the upgrade parts and it's more than a complete rifle. So you're better off just building what you want from the get go. I do believe that there is merit to his argument.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

The Annoyed Man wrote: If you haven't purchased a magnified scope for this build yet, I just ran across this new item from Vortex this morning[ Image ]
Nice. I'd considered their VMX-3T Magnifier, but haven't thought about a scope.

I'm slow rolling a pistol/future SBR build at the moment as I find bargains. Got a stripped lower and upper, looking at barrels currently; WES, Faxon, MAS Defense, etc.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

XinTX wrote:I saw a guy on YouTube who posted a video called "Stop buying AR's".
Saw that and agree. Build, or assemble, your ARs the way you want if that's your thing. Other people have other things.

Have fun with it.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I understand why people are not willing to build an AR for their first one.....I bought store-bought too the first time. But having done a couple or three now, looking back I wish I had started from scratch. (BTW, I "build" from parts the same way as a home-builder builds a house from pre-formed bricks and pre-cut lumber. I differentiate "building" from "fabricating" - which is when someone actually makes the part that goes into the gun by machining it from metal billets.)

There is another significant advantage to building your own besides the final cost of the rifle, because final cost is not a fixed price and depends on what you build. The second advantage that remains unchanged no matter what you build is that you will never know as intimately how a rifle works until your build your own. Even if you're the kind of guy who detail strips his bolt when cleaning the rifle, most people never disassemble either the lower or the upper receivers once the gun has been built. They don't remove the fire-control parts. They don't remove the various assembly pins and detents scattered throughout the receiver halves. They don't remove the dust cover. They don't remove the gas-block or gas-tube. Etc., etc., etc. The reason they don't is that, unless you break something, there is no real reason to know these things. Some of these assemblies, once put together, will probably never need to be taken apart again for the life of the rifle, barring some kind of major failure. However, you can't really know how all of these parts work or go together unless you either A) detail strip the entire weapon down to its smallest part, including all pins, springs, and detents, and then reassemble it afterward; or B) you build it from the ground up in the first place. If you know where everything goes and how it works, then in the event of a major failure of some kind to anything except the major components (receiver halves and barrel), you will already possess the knowledge to repair it yourself, and save on gun smithing costs.

It is never a bad thing to fully understand how your rifle (or pistol or shotgun, for that matter) is built, because you can otherwise never fully appreciate its strengths, or understand its weaknesses. The AR-15 platform is one of the few types of guns which goes together or comes apart in detail with so few tools. It is good to know these things, and building your own is a good way to acquire that knowledge.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

The Annoyed Man wrote: It is never a bad thing to fully understand how your rifle (or pistol or shotgun, for that matter) is built, because you can otherwise never fully appreciate its strengths, or understand its weaknesses. The AR-15 platform is one of the few types of guns which goes together or comes apart in detail with so few tools. It is good to know these things, and building your own is a good way to acquire that knowledge.
Knowing you can tear it down to the smallest pin if required provides a lot of comfort. There's also the enjoyment of "I built that."

NAVY CHIEF

Post by NAVY CHIEF »

Scott B. wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: It is never a bad thing to fully understand how your rifle (or pistol or shotgun, for that matter) is built, because you can otherwise never fully appreciate its strengths, or understand its weaknesses. The AR-15 platform is one of the few types of guns which goes together or comes apart in detail with so few tools. It is good to know these things, and building your own is a good way to acquire that knowledge.
Knowing you can tear it down to the smallest pin if required provides a lot of comfort. There's also the enjoyment of "I built that."
There's also the enjoyment of "I built that."
- Just don't let, you know who, (his residence is the White House) hear that! :anamatedbanana
CHL class: 8/29/09
Plastic Received:22OCT09

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”