AR Project, I may have caught the bug

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 17

AR Project, I may have caught the bug

Post by Scott B. »

It's a Del Ton upper kit on an SAA lower. Had a blast putting it together and have been pleased with how it runs. Of course, it's in pieces because the second stage of the madness has set in, "what can I do to it now?" My wallet realizes this is a dangerous phase.
step-1.jpg
A new Magpul buttstock and pistol grip are en route. Easy step and not budget busting.

Removing the bleeping A2 sight tower so I can put on a free floating guard and low profile gas block was as difficult as advertised. A medium sized sledge hammer, a quality tapered pin punch, and about eight mins of frustration got the pins out.

Don't have the new guard in hand. I screwed myself by installing an Osprey gas piston kit (it was laying around)--it severely limits the guard options--and I'm too stubborn to convert it back.

Next, I get to spend more on optics than the rifle cost. That doesn't seem right. :headscratch
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR Project, I may have caught the bug

Post by ghostrider »

Next, I get to spend more on optics than the rifle cost. That doesn't seem right.
actually, I think that's the unwritten golden rule: spend "at least" as much on the optics as you did for the rifle
:-)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

It sure sounds like you've caught that bug. It is very infectious and easy to catch.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Yes, it's one of the more enjoyable bugs I've caught.

I've been researching the middle price range of optics hoping for something that makes more sense than a six or seven hundred sticker price. I don't mind the money so much, I'm just finding it hard to believe you can't get something of quality until that range.

My beater Springfield runs just as good as the tricked out Kimber. Ditto my every day Timex versus my 'don't scratch it' Omega Speedmaster. The higher ticket items look and feel nicer, but improved function is down more to perception than reality, IMHO.

Of course, I'm going to end up spending the money for a nice optic so it's a lost cause.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I suppose it also depends on what you want to do with your rifle. I have a nice Colt M4 that I, fortunately, bought before the post Sandy Hook insanity. I don't have any burning desire to shoot out beyond the 200 yards that my range can accommodate and generally stay within 50 yards. I tried out an inexpensive RDS for about a year to see if I would like that type of sight or not before going all in. I ended up getting an EoTech and it works great for my application and only spent about 30-40% of what I did on the rifle itself. Both sights work well, but the Eo is easier to work and is much tougher and has a better warranty and holds its zero better.

Conversely, I bought a $250 20-60x Redfield spotting scope that has been pretty good for me until I tried to do a match at 200 yards. Luckily, the match director let me use his scope because I couldn't even see the holes for my 30-06 at 200 yards and we were going to shoot 5.56 after that. I don't remember the brand of his scope, seemed to remember looking it up the next day and they started around $800 and went up yo about $2000 for that brand. There was a tremendous difference between the quality and usability between what I though was a decent scope and what really is a decent scope. Maybe mine is okay for real world hunting, but it definitely will not work for matches on paper targets.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Is your EOTech as bad on batteries as I've read and which model did you go with?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Scott B. wrote:Is your EOTech as bad on batteries as I've read and which model did you go with?
I don't leave it turned on all the time as I would if I'd gone with the Aimpoint. I've had the original battery in it for several months now and am not sure exactly how many hours I've actually used it, but less than 100 hours would be a safe estimate. EXPS-2

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Tried my hand at a little arts & crafts project. Used some Testors enamel paint and only had to redo my work once.
IMG_20140906_092857694.jpg
(the red needs to be color adjusted in the photo, it's much brighter than it appears)
Overall, I like the results. There's still a little cleanup with a q-tip to do, but I'd do it again I think.

If you want to experiment yourself, there are some decent instructional videos on youtube. Keywords, AR Color Fill or Slide Color Fill. Pistol shooters have been doing this for a long time, but I'd never taken the plunge.

I found using some fine weave scrap cloth worked much better than paper towel for picking up the excess paint. It's smoother and doesn't grab the softened paint as aggressively. I let my paint dry overnight before removing the excess.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

After reading about optics all weekend, I may have narrowed down a good candidate for my build.

The Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic (Aimpoint PRO) runs about $400. For $150 ~ $200 below, the CompM3 lineup, I think I could live with 20k fewer battery life hours and a couple of setting clicks. Plus, it comes with the mount.

http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/all ... oduct/PRO/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody have hands on experience with this unit?

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

Scott B. wrote:Tried my hand at a little arts & crafts project. Used some Testors enamel paint and only had to redo my work once.
IMG_20140906_092857694.jpg
(the red needs to be color adjusted in the photo, it's much brighter than it appears)
Overall, I like the results. There's still a little cleanup with a q-tip to do, but I'd do it again I think.

If you want to experiment yourself, there are some decent instructional videos on youtube. Keywords, AR Color Fill or Slide Color Fill. Pistol shooters have been doing this for a long time, but I'd never taken the plunge.

I found using some fine weave scrap cloth worked much better than paper towel for picking up the excess paint. It's smoother and doesn't grab the softened paint as aggressively. I let my paint dry overnight before removing the excess.
Brownell's sells lacquer sticks that make this job a lot easier.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

Scott B. wrote:After reading about optics all weekend, I may have narrowed down a good candidate for my build.

The Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic (Aimpoint PRO) runs about $400. For $150 ~ $200 below, the CompM3 lineup, I think I could live with 20k fewer battery life hours and a couple of setting clicks. Plus, it comes with the mount.

http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/all ... oduct/PRO/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[ Image ]

Anybody have hands on experience with this unit?
The Aimpoint Pro was my choice too for exactly the same reasons, as well as it has much better eye relief than most of the cheaper optics. I found it very easy to use.

The only problem is that I shot my son's gun with the Aimpoint magnifier for reaching out further. That is a neat piece of kit, and now I want one, but it and a good LaRue mount cost more than the scope.

Now when the wife asks what I want for my Christmas....... :mrgreen:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

:iagree: It's a vicious cycle.

I've promised to stop before I buy a new trigger assembly, but the Aimpoint PRO has gone to the top of my list.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Got the low profile gas block and free floating rail installed tonight. Still waiting on other pieces to arrive.
seekins-ff.jpg
It's a Seekins 12" MCSR V2 Mod Rail and accepts Keymod accessories at the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions. I'm pleased with its construction, the way it locks up to the upper rail, and how light it is.

Not sure if I'm going to stick with the Osprey gas piston kit. Going to have to run it some more, but I will stick with this rail.
osprey-kit.jpg
osprey-kit2.jpg

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Showed the in progress build to my dad.

Dad, "Hey, want a compensator for that thing? I've got a little box of 'em."

Me, "...inarticulate babbling...." Opens box. Out fall two low profile gas blocks (I'd just bought one) and a handful of sweet compensators.

Took off the A2 Birdcage and added this fine looking example. Can't wait to try it out.
comp-profile.jpg
comp-top.jpg

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Got the Magpul buttstock and pistol grip added. Went with 'flat dark earth' color mostly to differentiate this rifle from anything else in the safe. I ordered a pack of the guard grip sections in three different lengths. Should have ordered three of the longer ones. The panel sections are thin and I am wondering how they'll hold up to heat.

The buttstock is definitely worth the upgrade.

Although I'll probably add a bigger charging handle and change out the trigger guard, I think I can call this build/rebuild done.
new-furniture.jpg
Now I need to restock the gun fund and buy the optic ;-)

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”