First time building an AR 15. Fun and educational

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jayinsat
Posts in topic: 3

First time building an AR 15. Fun and educational

Post by jayinsat »

I just assembled my lower receiver last night and it was so much fun. This can be addictive! It was way easier than I expected and i'm tracking coming in less than $600 for the entire build. As is detailed in the second video, my lower receiver came from Fat Boy Tactical out of Oklahoma http://www.fatboytactical.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It was a blemished lower for $39. I could not find any real blemishes. That thing was perfect! I purchased the lpk from Palmetto State armory. I got the PTAC Blackhawk lpk for $79. Altogether, I've spent just under $150 including S&H and FFL transfer fees. Sweet! Still trying to decide on which complete upper to buy.

[youtube][/youtube] This is my pre build review

[youtube][/youtube] Post build assessment.

I studied a bunch of great youtube videos before I attempted the build. There are so many out there. That made this project a snap! I feel like I learned so much about the workings of the rifle and am confident I will be able to repair and maintain it well.
:fire :txflag:
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Re: First time building an AR 15. Fun and educational

Post by Scott B. »

Great job. I'll echo you on the addictive qualities, it's hard to stop at just one! :thumbs2:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by drjoker »

I am thinking about doing this, too. How many hours did it take you?

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

jayinsat wrote:I just assembled my lower receiver last night and it was so much fun. This can be addictive! It was way easier than I expected and i'm tracking coming in less than $600 for the entire build. As is detailed in the second video, my lower receiver came from Fat Boy Tactical out of Oklahoma http://www.fatboytactical.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It was a blemished lower for $39. I could not find any real blemishes. That thing was perfect! I purchased the lpk from Palmetto State armory. I got the PTAC Blackhawk lpk for $79. Altogether, I've spent just under $150 including S&H and FFL transfer fees. Sweet! Still trying to decide on which complete upper to buy.

[youtube][/youtube] This is my pre build review

[youtube][/youtube] Post build assessment.

I studied a bunch of great youtube videos before I attempted the build. There are so many out there. That made this project a snap! I feel like I learned so much about the workings of the rifle and am confident I will be able to repair and maintain it well.
:fire :txflag:
Building the upper is even more fun than the lower, but you won't save any money that way because of the cost of the tools and gauges needed to do it right.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

drjoker wrote:I am thinking about doing this, too. How many hours did it take you?
You're first time? A couple of hours, maybe.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

drjoker wrote:I am thinking about doing this, too. How many hours did it take you?
It took me maybe 40 minutes to put the lower completely together, and that was including a phone call while I was installing the bolt catch! (that is one of the trickier pieces because of the tendency to marr the receiver driving in the roll pin). My advice, watch the "how to" videos (links included in my videos) and it should be a cinch!
Building the upper is even more fun than the lower, but you won't save any money that way because of the cost of the tools and gauges needed to do it right.
I plan to buy the tools and guages for the upper as I plan on maintaing this rifle and am sure I'll need to change barrels sometime in its lifetime. Next build will be complete.
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Think about how many different uppers, in different calibers, you can assemble to fit that lower. All you will need is different buffer springs for the lower.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My son put together my first lower (his second). It took him 30 minutes.

Now you have a better understanding of how your rifle works. Nothing wrong with hanging a nice store bought gun, but it doesn't compare to the satisfaction of building your own. Same with loading your own ammo. Nothing compares to exceeding the performance of even really good commercial match ammo with cartridges you loaded yourself.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

The Annoyed Man wrote:My son put together my first lower (his second). It took him 30 minutes.

Now you have a better understanding of how your rifle works. Nothing wrong with hanging a nice store bought gun, but it doesn't compare to the satisfaction of building your own. Same with loading your own ammo. Nothing compares to exceeding the performance of even really good commercial match ammo with cartridges you loaded yourself.
Baby steps TAM. Let's not introduce reloading....yet!
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jayinsat wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:My son put together my first lower (his second). It took him 30 minutes.

Baby steps TAM. Let's not introduce reloading....yet!
That was supposed to be "having", not "hanging" :oops:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”