Poll: AK-47 or AR-15 ?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Which Military Rifle do You Prefer?

AK-47
23%
AR-15
77%

Total votes: 82

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Poll: AK-47 or AR-15 ?

Post by drjoker »

Ok,

I've always thought that the AK-47 is the best rifle that shoots inexpensive ammo. 7.62x39 was all that I shot 95% of the time when I go shooting. However, recently, I joined a gun club and they don't allow any rifles other than .22lr, BUT there's no such thing as a .22lr AK-47. There are crappy guns that kinda look like AK-47s that shoot .22lr, but nothing with a similar action nor same looks/feel with 100% reliability. I needed a way to train with .22lr that will allow me to train for the full size gun.

That's when I decided to buy an AR-15 in .22lr and 5.56 both made by S&W. Shooting the M&P 15-22 will allow me to train for the M&P 15. So, now, all my rifle shooting is with the AR-15 instead.

The AK-47 is supposed to be more reliable, with better penetration, but less accurate, and with less range than the AR-15. However, I've come to find that is untrue. The AR platform is just as reliable, overpenetration is actually a bad thing, is more accurate, and has more range.

For those of you who've shot both guns, which do you prefer? A QUALITY AK or a MODERN QUALITY AR-15? Vietnam era jam o matics and home built guns from 80% lowers, and sloppy 3rd world AKs make by drunks do not count for this poll.

Which one do you prefer? And why? AK-47 or AR-15?

Thanks,
' :tiphat:

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Poll: AK-47 or AR-15 ?

Post by rbwhatever1 »

American AR15's for me. I'm a gun racist and I have always disliked communists, both foreign and domestic.
III

jmra

Post by jmra »

AR15. Never had an issue with any of my ARs. They are all much more accurate than I am.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

TheDude
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TheDude »

AR15 for me as well.

1. ARs are more ergonomic. The controls are right where they should be to run the gun.

2. It's easier to mount an optics and other accessories on ARs although its not as much of a concern with some of the new AK rails.

3. More people have ARs in the US. If the poop ever hit the fan it would be easier to switch mags, ammo, and parts with other muricans. :patriot:

4. I think with the newer 5.56/.223 ammo like the 75gr TAP, AR's have better terminal performance on tissue. Those rounds are nasty when they frag in flesh and they do it way more consistently than M193 and M855.

In the past I would have thought 7.62 was better on bad guys but the ballistic research I have read has changed my mind. You are right that 7.62x39 is better at shooting through barriers but there are just not very many good self defense rounds for it and the FMJs won't frag because of the low velocity.

Granted you are still punching .30 cal holes and they do tumble. However, Dr. Gary Roberts and others have shown that hight velocity fragmentation is more effective at causing fight stopping injuries than tumbling. I would probably go with an AK74 instead of an AK47 if were to buy one.

teraph

Post by teraph »

I'll take a good AR-15 over any AK, any day of the week. But as fighting rifles, they are both great rifles, but with some key differences and issues for me.

1. Most combat happens in the sub 200m range, which makes most arguments invalid, because both rifles can reach out and put a hurting on someone at those distances. BUT with and AR-15/M-16/M4 you have a far greater potential accuracy, which means that (with proper training) one could literally put their rounds wherever they want.

2. The AK family gets HOT when shooting it. I ran an AK a couple weeks ago and only put 120 rounds through it (rapidly, but not inaccurately), and the heat emanating from the barrel, through the hand guard and into my hand was decidedly uncomfortable. With my AR, I ran more than twice that through and had little to no issue with heat. Could it have been the difference between 7.62x39mm and 5.56x45mm? Possibly, but I am betting more on the way the systems are designed and how they function.

3. I can carry more ammo, for the same weight, with my M4 than any AK.

Lastly
As was mentioned before, the AR-15 family is easier to tinker with and add whatever you want to them. And that can range from optics with inline NV capability, more magnification than you'll need, PEQ-15s, free float rails, low profile and iron sights in any flavor you want (if you get a lopro gas block). With the AK you are for the most part stuck with what you have on the rifle (minus the railed dust covers and some side mounts for scopes). The industry is getting better at making some really nice things for the AK family, but they just are not as versatile as the AR family.
This We'll Defend

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

I've never had an M-16/M4/AR-15 pointed at me before, so THA'T'S my favorite!
4. I think with the newer 5.56/.223 ammo like the 75gr TAP, AR's have better terminal performance on tissue. Those rounds are nasty when they frag in flesh and they do it way more consistently than M193 and M855.
Before we shipped off to Vietnam, the Air Force put those of us who were going to bases where the Air Force provided their own security on the wire through a Combat Security Policeman course at One of the auxilliary camps around San Antonio. Known as the "AZR"course, they showed us very graphic images of what the 5.56/223 round was capable of doing to another human being. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, that round is lethal enough that I won't volunteer to stand in front of one!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by drjoker »

I bought all those internet videos that showed the ar-15 jamming when dirty or frozen in subzero temperatures. However, as long as you use lots of lube on your gun, I've found that it works fine even with fine dust or sand in the action. As long as you use it correctly, the ar-15 is just as reliable ss the ak-47.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

ARs just look way more cool than AKs.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

TexasVet

Post by TexasVet »

There are plenty aks in 22 these days

ELB

Post by ELB »

I like my AK.
As noted above, 200m is good, but it is plenty accurate at any distance or situation I am going to us it. And really, those are likely to be considerably less than 200 meters.
It is reliable and durable without having to add qualifiers like "as long as you ....".
It can run for hundreds, even thousands, of rounds without requiring lubing or cleaning. I do it anyway.
When I do clean it, It field strips into a few reasonably sized parts. (And there are lots of AKs in the US now. :mrgreen: )
The overwhelming majority of the time a stoppage just means I need to reload.
Magazines are strong, not damaged easily, lock in solidly, and can make a handy handhold or monopod (or club) without ill effect.
I have not found I need to add too many things to it. A flashlight was easy. A reflex sight will go on soon. That's about it.
In any scenario I can envision where I would use my AK instead of a pistol, being able to shoot through things is an advantage.
It seems that people who have been shot with the AK do not like it, providing they lived long enough to have an opinion on the matter. It appears that putting a round or two on target is the basic requirement, everything else is nice to have.
After actually using it for awhile, I found out the ergonomic issues are not issues.
It folds up nice and short, fits under my truck seat easily -- and I don't worry about bending or damaging anything on it.

Unfortunately I can't solve the OPs problem with finding a .22 AK. None of the ones I have seen are really AK pattern. Just have the same silhouette. Me, I'd find a different club, but that might not work for the OP'er.
USAF 1982-2005

PBR

Post by PBR »

reason i choose ar15 is because of the calibers you can shoot and use on the same basic lower. you can go shoot 22, 223, 7.62, 300blkout and others on the same trip using same lower cant do that with ak
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

PBR wrote:reason i choose ar15 is because of the calibers you can shoot and use on the same basic lower. you can go shoot 22, 223, 7.62, 300blkout and others on the same trip using same lower cant do that with ak
:iagree: Excellent advantage.

Weg

Post by Weg »

I vote for the AR. The only advantage the AK has is that it can go much longer without cleaning/lubrication than the AR, and because of that is generally more reliable in my experience. Other than that, the AR runs circles around the AK. That being said, my AR's sit in my safe, my AK is under my bed. The only advantage I mentioned previously leads me to trust it more as a home defense weapon. ( Disclaimer : I live in a heavily wooded remote area, where using a rifle as a home defense weapon is not unreasonable )

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

I've used both in semi and full auto formats, and I like both a lot.

I lean a bit toward the AR because of smaller ammo bulk, universal availability of ammo and parts in the U.S., and because I like to tinker with my guns and experiment with things that make them easier to aim and use, carry, etc. and there are more possibilities with the huge range of accessories available for the AR.

With all that said, the AK is a robust, extremely reliable gun that has proven itself all over the globe.

If I had an urgent need, I would grab whichever gun was closest and wouldn't feel the least bit disadvantaged with either.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I have two Rock River AR-15's and one AR S&W M&P 15-22. So do I need to vote? :biggrinjester:
BTW I saw a .22 AK at my LGS.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”