Poll: AK-47 or AR-15 ?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Which Military Rifle do You Prefer?

AK-47
23%
AR-15
77%

Total votes: 82

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Poll: AK-47 or AR-15 ?

Post by carlson1 »

Anderson Arms claims to not need lube. :headscratch

http://www.andersonrifles.com/how-rf85-works/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

carlson1 wrote:Anderson Arms claims to not need lube. :headscratch

http://www.andersonrifles.com/how-rf85-works/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting, but they also said the M-16 didn't need cleaning at first. This would be cool if it really works.

DrJoker, I figured it was an indoor club, but did miss the part about being only for rifles. Sorry.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

C-dub wrote:I'm just messing with you, but did you join a gun club or a knitting club? What kind of gun club only let's you shoot .22's?
The Dallas Pistol Club is in a suburban area. If a round goes over the backstop it can land in a highway interchange or residential area.

The safety barriers above the berms are concrete tilt wall panels that would quickly be destroyed by high power rifle rounds.

Their restriction to .22 rifles makes sense in this context.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

drjoker wrote:
C-dub wrote:I'm just messing with you, but did you join a gun club or a knitting club? What kind of gun club only let's you shoot .22's?
They only allow .22lr RIFLES. I can shoot any caliber handgun, though. It's the Dallas Pistol Club. I go there because it is very near my home so it is very convenient.
The operant word here is "Pistol". I've been a member for 5 years or so, and they really aren't set up for centerfire rifles.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by drjoker »

Ooh, I wish you told me earlier. I saw some Anderson lower receivers for $40 and said, "meh," if I had known this earlier, I would've bought it. I ended up buying the S&W 15 sport instead of building my own AR-15 because I couldn't build one for less dollars than $560. They are selling them for $560 at Grabagun in Carrolton just down the street from the Dallas Pistol Club.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

drjoker wrote:

Ooh, I wish you told me earlier. I saw some Anderson lower receivers for $40 and said, "meh," if I had known this earlier, I would've bought it. I ended up buying the S&W 15 sport instead of building my own AR-15 because I couldn't build one for less dollars than $560. They are selling them for $560 at Grabagun in Carrolton just down the street from the Dallas Pistol Club.
The last time I looked over the Anderson website, the ONLY rifle they made that wasn't a California-compliant "bullet-button" lower DIDN'T have their proprietary treatment at all. Only the California-legal guns had it......and that still seems the be the case:

http://www.andersonrifles.com/the-whole-lineup/

All but one of the rifles listed have an asterisk next to their name. Below, it says "* California Compliant and New England Compliant". The ONE rifle that does not have an asterisk says "(NOT RF85 Treated)" They offer coated uppers and barrels here: http://www.andersonrifles.com/product-c ... f85-parts/, but that's it. They don't seem to offer RF85 treated lowers......although I suppose that would be less critical.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
drjoker wrote:

The last time I looked over the Anderson website, the ONLY rifle they made that wasn't a California-compliant "bullet-button" lower DIDN'T have their proprietary treatment at all. Only the California-legal guns had it......and that still seems the be the case:

http://www.andersonrifles.com/the-whole-lineup/

All but one of the rifles listed have an asterisk next to their name. Below, it says "* California Compliant and New England Compliant". The ONE rifle that does not have an asterisk says "(NOT RF85 Treated)" They offer coated uppers and barrels here: http://www.andersonrifles.com/product-c ... f85-parts/, but that's it. They don't seem to offer RF85 treated lowers......although I suppose that would be less critical.
You can install a nickel boron treated trigger and hammer assemblies in a standard lower and get all the lubricity you need.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Excaliber wrote:
The Dallas Pistol Club is in a suburban area. If a round goes over the backstop it can land in a highway interchange or residential area.

The safety barriers above the berms are concrete tilt wall panels that would quickly be destroyed by high power rifle rounds.

Their restriction to .22 rifles makes sense in this context.
Sorry again. I keep forgetting about DPC in Carrollton and think it is DFW Gun Club down on Mockingbird. :oops: :banghead:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

What Jerry Miculek says:

[youtube][/youtube]
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

rotor

Post by rotor »

The above video is really the AK74 vs AR15 and if that would have been the survey I would have voted for the AR15. But for just plain utility I vote for the AK47. Cheap, reliable, no brass to pick up. Cheaper than dirt has 1 k rounds on sale for $215.

TheDude

Post by TheDude »

rotor wrote:The above video is really the AK74 vs AR15 and if that would have been the survey I would have voted for the AR15. But for just plain utility I vote for the AK47. Cheap, reliable, no brass to pick up.
I don't own an AK74 or 47 but I was thinking about purchasing an AK74. I was leaning towards the AK74 purely because I like the round better. I like to hear why a person prefers one over the other. Do you prefer the AK47 because of the 7.62x39 round or is there another reason? If you prefer 7.62 over 5.45 then what qualities do you like better?

Besides barrier penetration, I don't see an advantage over the 5.45 round. The 7.62x39 is more expensive, it's not as flat shooting, it's usually not as accurate, and doesn't look as good in ballistic gel testing. The ballistic testing was the least important to me since both will get it done. I am definitely not attacking your choice of the 47 over 74. Just trying to figure which one better suits my needs.

rotor

Post by rotor »

I have a K-Var AK47 which is top of the line I guess for AK-47 ( or close to it). Ammo is cheap, it never fails to go bang, am thinking of using it for hogs, supposedly equal to a 30-30. It is plain fun to shoot. I have a red dot on it and it is accurate in my hands for what I want. I reload but don't need to for my AK. I also have a Colt LE6920. I love it too. It is more expensive to shoot, need to pick up brass, pain to reload, proably not adequate for hogs. I recommend owning both if you can afford them. To be honest, have been shooting a ton of 12 g lately and hardly touched any of my rifles. Picking up a Browning 725 tomorrow. I love all of my guns though (except the one Taurus I own). But if I had to pick only one between an AK 47 and an AR15 I would go for the AK because I could blast away all day for 1/2 of the cost and just as much fun. I am thinking next of an AR10 in 308 and just can't decide which one to buy. Can't see paying $2k for a gun that doesn't even have iron sights and has a terrible trigger.
I should note that I have never handled a cheaper AK such as the Wasers but many people love them as well. Mine is a milled receiver and one well built AK. The issue about ammo, if it were an AK74 or a AR15 I would go for the AR15. 7.62 ammo is cheap though and when 5.45 was not available there was still plenty of 7.62 on the market. For me though, 95% of my shooting is for fun and the AK47 is more fun for the buck than an AR15.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”