Poll: What would be your only rifle?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

what caliber for your only centerfire rifle?

8 mm mauser
0%
6mm Rem
No votes
243 Win
2%
7mm-08 Rem
0%
25-06
1%
260 Rem
0%
270 Rem
4%
280 Rem
0%
308 Win
30%
30-06
23%
7.62x39
6%
5.56/223
24%
50 BMG
No votes
Other
9%

Total votes: 239

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Poll: What would be your only rifle?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Liberty wrote:At the moment I'm holding tight to the purse, and expect to pick up a rifle in the spring or next summer. I'm leaning towards the M1A but I also want the Ruger GSM Scout. I'll probably eventually get both.
Well I understand the attraction to the M1A Scout Squad. If I were going to buy another M1A, that would be the one. And the iron sights on the M1A are pretty hard to beat. I forget where it was, but I was involved in a discussion about truck guns with someone, and I averred that my Gunsite Scout was a perfect truck gun, in the same way that a .30-30 lever rifle is a perfect truck gun. The M1A Scout Squad might well fall into that same category. If you think of the kinds of traits that make a rifle ideal for keeping on a gun rack in your truck, "handiness" would be right up there......
  • light weight
  • short length
  • good ergonomics
  • iron sights required
  • intuitive optics nice to have
  • of a caliber with range and power enough to deal with anything you'd be likely to run into in the lower 48
  • with more than 4 rounds on hand, and the ability to reload quickly
Both the Ruger and M1A scout rifles have all of those bases covered.... just like an old fashioned .30-30, but with handy-dandy 20 round box magazines. Another thing about box magazines.... they are a good way to store ammunition. It is easier to pop in a new mag than it is to fish some rounds out of a box and put them 1 at a time into a magazine tube or an internal magazine. It doesn't mean you have to shoot all those rounds, but you have them already packaged and ready to go. And that means that you can easily carry the gun unloaded if you want to because loading and charging it is very quick.

The Canadian Rangers (a sort of cross between a "national guard" and "national park rangers") recently selected a new issue rifle to replace its aging arsenal of Enfields: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... mperatures

Here's what they came up with:

This article (http://www.scout.com/outdoors/hunting/s ... he-rangers) says:
Specifications include: .308 Win., 10-round detachable magazine, 20-inch barrel, iron sights calibrated from 100-600 meters, laminate stock, oversized trigger guard for gloved use, stainless construction with special coatings to combat corrosion and the Ranger logo etched into the stock. It will be issued with accessories such as extra magazines, a Pelican gun case and a trigger lock.
If I were on the market for another scout rifle, I would try real hard to see if any of these can end up in civilian hands. I think they are awesome.

In any case, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the M1A Scout Squad. It's pretty nifty.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Crash
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Crash »

I have a Howa 1500 in .308 Winchester. It is the compact model with the Hogue overmolded stock and the 20" barrel. When I'm doing my part it will shoot 3-shot groups into less than an inch off sandbags and every deer I've shot with it has dropped with one shot. What more do I need?

Crash

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Post by parabelum »

Hard choice to make. I like so many...

I voted personally for 5.56, since my personal favorite is colt 6940 LE. I just love that one.

Unocat
Banned

Post by Unocat »

M1 Garand chambered in .308. :fire
NRA lifetime member
Combat Veteran
"carthago delenda est"

gary_lankford

Re: What would be your only rifle?

Post by gary_lankford »

jimlongley wrote:I would vote for the M1A, but I already have a Garand.
M1A would be my vote, too. I do have one, early 80's Springfield Armory manufacture, walnut stock. Solid rifle that can do it all.

gary_lankford

Re: What would be your only rifle?

Post by gary_lankford »

VMI77 wrote:
jimlongley wrote:I would vote for the M1A, but I already have a Garand.
You can get an M1A for $1,000? I paid $1,700 for mine.
I paid $548 for my M1A.

gary_lankford

Post by gary_lankford »

olafpfj wrote:I voted for .308

Figured if it was just one caliber it should be something that can generally do anything and can be found in almost any armory throughout the world. I'm kinda looking at the question through a "prepper" type lens.

60 years ago I would've answered 30-06 for the same reason. Not that it isn't available it's just not stocked by militaries around the world anymore. The world armories should be drowning in .308 these days.
I look at everything through a "prepper" type lens and agree with you completely on your .308 choice. My second choice would be 5.56mm for the same reason.

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a walnut Springfield M1A Super Match. Cannot wait!!

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:Getting ready to pull the trigger on a walnut Springfield M1A Super Match. Cannot wait!!

I am waiting for my tax stamp to break this baby out of jail. Thank you Obama for your latest EO attacking NFA trusts!

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Redneck_Buddha wrote:Getting ready to pull the trigger on a walnut Springfield M1A Super Match. Cannot wait!!

I am waiting for my tax stamp to break this baby out of jail. Thank you Obama for your latest EO attacking NFA trusts!

That is super sweet! Can you tell us semi-literate rifle folks what we're looking at -- that is provided I'm not the only semi-literate rifle person here?

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:

That is super sweet! Can you tell us semi-literate rifle folks what we're looking at -- that is provided I'm not the only semi-literate rifle person here?
Gas Piston .308 SBR, http://pof-usa.com/p308/
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Redneck_Buddha wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:

So it needs a stamp because of the gas system?

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
Redneck_Buddha wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:

It's a SBR ( short barreled rifle)
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Jusme wrote:
Redneck_Buddha wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
Redneck_Buddha wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:

It's a SBR ( short barreled rifle)
Cool, thanks!

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”