scope

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

cajunautoxer
Posts in topic: 1

Re: scope

Post by cajunautoxer »

winters wrote:Na I goto Baton Rouge, LA once a month so I get my fill of cabelas and bass pro shop. I thought houstons bass pro was big until I went to louisiana. And cabelas gun section is even bigger there. Im just going to wait until next week to get a better selection I can try out. East of Baton Rouge there is a shop that carries more night force then anyone I have ever seen. I know of the nxs you quote I just wanted more power.
If you go to BR drive a little further to Hammond and stop at Interstate Guns which is owned by Sport Optics. They have all the cool toys your looking for. It would prob do you good to go and look at what you want and have it delivered to save you tax. I stop by there when I go to Hammond to do some training

http://www.sportoptics.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.interstateguns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

winters wrote:
ripnbst wrote:Hands down the Vortex Razor HD is what I would recommend. Pick one up as a demo model or lightly used. It is on par with NF if not slightly better.
So its better then the viper pst?
"Better" is a relative term. I'm sure that a Bugatti Veyron is a "better" car than a Porsche Cayman, but I'm not a good enough driver to extract that difference in performance, so even if I could afford the Veyron, I'd just be posing. All prices below are MSRP.....

The Razor HD scopes starts at $2,499.00. The Razor HD Gen II starts at $1,899.00 and tops out at $2,999.00, and I think that's the most expensive scope that Vortex makes.

The most expensive Viper PST scope costs $1,049.00. The Viper PST line incorporates some of the features of the of the more expensive Razor line to provide high end features in a mid-priced line..... hence their enormous popularity as a real bargain.

But, again, if your rifle-fu isn't strong enough, you won't be able to wring out the difference between a $3,000 scope and a $1,000 scope. I'm a pretty decent shot with a rifle, but not a great shot (and certainly not a trained sniper), and I don't think it would be worth the extra $2 grand just for bragging rights. Like with the cars, I'd just be posing. But if that's what you want, go head on...it's just too rich for my blood. I already own a $1,500 scope, and that is about the absolute upper limit of what I would be willing to spend on one.....unless that's how I made my living.....because it would be a waste of money, and I'm not concerned about appearances. I'd just like to be like my friend, who doesn't need a $3000 scope to let his shooting skills do the talking.

By the way, that friend is whose guest I was on the 500 yard line at TacPro a few weeks ago . He was at ETTS on Sunday with an AR15 DMR shooting commercially loaded 75 grain Hornady Superformance Match, and hitting consistently at 800 yards........on a 2MOA target...........using a 1-4x Viper PST. With my 4-16x PST, I was able to hit consistently at 500 yards, but I don't know if I could handle 800 yards with an AR15. Maybe someday I'll get to find out. But my friend amply proves the old adage that it's the shooter, not the scope.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by winters »

I went to the sport optics place a couple months ago to look at night force.Im basically getting the viper pst now. I just don't want to spend 2000 on a scope right now. Went to cabelas last night and looked through the vortecs and the small reticle at 4x power is kinda weird at first.

They sell the acter I wonder how many people goto cabelas to buy those.

The Annoyed Man

winters wrote:I went to the sport optics place a couple months ago to look at night force.Im basically getting the viper pst now. I just don't want to spend 2000 on a scope right now. Went to cabelas last night and looked through the vortecs and the small reticle at 4x power is kinda weird at first.

They sell the acter I wonder how many people goto cabelas to buy those.
Once you get used to the reticle getting smaller when you zoom out, it will really start to make sense to you. I wasn't sure about it either, the first time I tried out a FFP scope, but now I wouldn't have it any other way. Another way to think about it is to consider the "chevron" reticle on the 4X ACOG. If you've never looked through one, the reticle is actually quite tiny. Makes sense if you remember that the ACOG is designed for both CQB and intermediate range shooting. The bullet drop marks on the reticle are designed to take the shooter out to 600 yards......or about the maximum distance that most shooters can effectively hit a man-sized target with an AR15/M4 platform rifle. My previously mentioned friend has 10 years including 7 combat tours under his belt in both Iraq and Afghanistan as a Recon Marine....a large part of which time he was a designated marksman. He is an exceptional shooter, so 800 yards with an AR and a 4X scope is doable for him. Most shooters, myself included, are not "exceptional".
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by winters »

Well I finally got my vortex viper pst 6x24 just have to wait for my goodies to mount it on my rifle. Looking pretty good though. Few guys in the office thinks its a nice scope.

The Annoyed Man

winters wrote:Well I finally got my vortex viper pst 6x24 just have to wait for my goodies to mount it on my rifle. Looking pretty good though. Few guys in the office thinks its a nice scope.
Good for you. I used the following items to mount my scope to my Remington 700:

TPS TSR Scope 30mm Rings
The TPS website's product description
TSR SL (Super-Low) Series Rings. Providing an extremely low mounting solution for those special applications Precisely machined from an alloy steel billet, with tolerances held to .0002", give maximum scope/ring contact. Holds scope securely against recoil. Four-screw cap lets you align the reticle, tighten the left side of the cap, then the right side without the scope rotating. Radiused edges and corners help prevent snagging while providing attractive appearance. Large, clamp-nut lets you torque rings to Mil-STD 1913 (Picatinny) bases. SPECS: Alloy Steel, black oxide finish to Mil-C-13924 standards. 5/8" (15.8mm) wide. Height measured from top of base to center of ring. 30mm - Super-Low: .820" (20.8mm).
MSRP: $114.00
@SWFA: $87.95

EGW Picatinny Rail 1 Piece Scope Mount, 20 MOA
MSRP: $39.95
@SWFA: $39.95

These are machined from extruded 6061 T6 aluminum. I chose these specifically for their light weight, and on SWFA's recommendation. My scope is quite heavy, and the rings are heavy. If I were shooting a magnum caliber, I would have gone with the $159 Badger Ordinance rail. It is machined from steel, and has a recoil lug built in, which would help prevent shearing of the screws which mate the rail to the top of the action. But, .308 Winchester is not a particularly hard recoiling cartridge. I bought both items from SWFA. While there, I asked for the more expensive Badger Ordinance piece, and they sold me on the lighter EGW rail, telling me that on a .308, the Badger Ordinance rail really wasn't necessary.

Here is the rifle, all up:

Closeup of the rail, rings, and scope, mounted on the rifle:

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”