AR15 80% Lower Group Buy Survey

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

How many 80% receivers would you be interested in?

1 Lower
46%
2 Lowers
46%
3 Lowers
4%
4 Lowers
No votes
5 or more
4%

Total votes: 26

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: AR15 80% Lower Group Buy Survey

Post by drjoker »

You realize that these 80% lowers are VERY labor intensive, right? Why not just 3d print a polymer one with a 3d printer? Much less laber involved. It will cost about $700 to buy a 3d printer (makerfarm prusa i3). You can keep the printer at a local gun club and each person in the group would take turns pushing the "start" button. You can split the cost of the 3d printer in the group but everyone in the group can make as many ar-15s as you want ONLY for personal use, no sale, no transfer allowed, per federal law.

3d printed lowers typically cost about $10-20 to 3d print.

Here is an ar15 pistol but you can 3d print an ar rifle. You can use a computer to modify it and then print it out or just print it out as is after downloading from piratebay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElgTP3c-XcQ

Topic author
dcphoto
Posts in topic: 7

Post by dcphoto »

drjoker wrote:You realize that these 80% lowers are VERY labor intensive, right? Why not just 3d print a polymer one with a 3d printer? Much less laber involved. It will cost about $700 to buy a 3d printer (makerfarm prusa i3). You can keep the printer at a local gun club and each person in the group would take turns pushing the "start" button. You can split the cost of the 3d printer in the group but everyone in the group can make as many ar-15s as you want ONLY for personal use, no sale, no transfer allowed, per federal law.

Here is an ar15 pistol but you can 3d print an ar rifle. You can use a computer to modify it and then print it out or just print it out as is after downloading from piratebay.
I've completed several 80% lowers, and they aren't labor intensive at all. My first one was, but I didn't have anyone with experience to help me. I'm able to provide experience and tooling which makes the process much easier for a first time maker.

Plus, 3d printed lowers don't last very long. I've seen reports of them making it through 400 rounds, but typically 100-200 is seen. I wouldn't want to depend on a rifle whose lower has a nearly 100% chance of catastrophically failing with a very low round count.

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by drjoker »

dcphoto wrote:
drjoker wrote:You realize that these 80% lowers are VERY labor intensive, right? Why not just 3d print a polymer one with a 3d printer? Much less laber involved. It will cost about $700 to buy a 3d printer (makerfarm prusa i3). You can keep the printer at a local gun club and each person in the group would take turns pushing the "start" button. You can split the cost of the 3d printer in the group but everyone in the group can make as many ar-15s as you want ONLY for personal use, no sale, no transfer allowed, per federal law.

I've completed several 80% lowers, and they aren't labor intensive at all. My first one was, but I didn't have anyone with experience to help me. I'm able to provide experience and tooling which makes the process much easier for a first time maker.

Plus, 3d printed lowers don't last very long. I've seen reports of them making it through 400 rounds, but typically 100-200 is seen. I wouldn't want to depend on a rifle whose lower has a nearly 100% chance of catastrophically failing with a very low round count.
Ahh.. I see, since you're willing to provide assistance, then that's a different story. So, you're gonna have a AR15 building party? Which city are you in? I might be interested.

Edit: never mind, I see you're in Austin whilst I'm in Dallas.

Topic author
dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

drjoker wrote:Edit: never mind, I see you're in Austin whilst I'm in Dallas.
"not Austin" actually. I'm north of Austin, around 2.5 hours south of the center of Dallas, with traffic. I don't like getting more specific than that in public forums. ;-) :txflag:

Even if we don't have a group buy I'd still be happy to host a build party if a few people wanted one.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

dcphoto wrote:
drjoker wrote:Edit: never mind, I see you're in Austin whilst I'm in Dallas.
"not Austin" actually. I'm north of Austin, around 2.5 hours south of the center of Dallas, with traffic. I don't like getting more specific than that in public forums. ;-) :txflag:

Even if we don't have a group buy I'd still be happy to host a build party if a few people wanted one.
That puts you closer than I thought. I might be interested in a couple.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

ajb1968
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ajb1968 »

While its a bit of a haul from NW Houston, I would be very interested. I have always wanted to finish out a lower but don't really have the skill set to do it. I would love for someone to show me how.

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KC5AV »

I might be interested.
NRA lifetime member

Topic author
dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

So far there seems to be interest in 50+ lowers between here and some people offline. I'm going to start making some phone calls to see what kind of deals are out there.

When I have some solid numbers, and can move forward, I'll start a new thread in this forum. Keep answering the survey if you're new to the thread and are interested.

Topic author
dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

Group buy sign-up at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=74825

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”