shotgun patterning

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
rwg3
Posts in topic: 3

shotgun patterning

Post by rwg3 »

While meandering through Cabela's the other day, I paused to look at a shotgun for home defense purposes. Having hunted and shot skeet and sporting clays with my trusty 870 (30" full choke) in all types of conditions and lighting, I knew that I wanted another one or a clone for this use. I was a bit taken aback at the prices for the Remington's and have become somewhat concerned by reports of quality issues since their take over. I remember reading something by Andy C I think about alternatives at better price points. I looked at Mossberg, Stevens, Winchester and Weatherby.
Tried the fit and action on all they had and ended up choosing the Weatherby PA-08 TR model. http://www.weatherby.com/product/shotgu ... tr/pa08_tr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(sorry could not figure how to post picture).
It was on special sale at $268 and ultimately what pushed my choice was how well it fit me. The operation is the same as the old 870 with the safety and the action release in the same locations and configurations. I also picked some 00 buck for it. Now after cleaning it I figure I should go somewhere to pattern it just for my comfort if nothing else? Is Elm Fork the location for that or are there other locations north of Dallas that offer the ability to check the pattern?
"Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl-chain of all virtues", Thomas Fuller

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: shotgun patterning

Post by jmra »

2.75" or 3"? I like 2.75" is my 500A for home defense.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
rwg3

Post by rwg3 »

jmra wrote:2.75" or 3"? I like 2.75" is my 500A for home defense.
I bought the 2.75" with the gun. I am pretty sure I have some 3" stashed away also. The gun is capable of using either.
"Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl-chain of all virtues", Thomas Fuller

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

rwg3 wrote:Is Elm Fork the location for that or are there other locations north of Dallas that offer the ability to check the pattern?
There may be others, but Elm Fork certainly has that feature. AndyC and I once each bought inexpensive shotguns similar to yours, and we tested them inside that "old west storefront" looking handgun range at Elm Fork. We patterned onto B27 targets at 5, 10, and 15 yards. It was instructive.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I patterned a couple of shotguns with various brand of buckshot and settled on a modestly priced brand after the test. I didn't see a significant difference. The brand I use is Spartan 2 3/4" 00. I wanted to try #1 Buck shot but couldn't find any at the time. I have a Win 1300 Defender 18-1/2" and an old JC Higgins (High Standard Flite King) pump with the barrel cut to 21". It actually did better that the Winchester. It a beater that I carry it in my truck. Good Luck!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
rwg3

Post by rwg3 »

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to try to get over that way and see what I can do with this thing.
OH btw Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”