What Ammo to buy for my AR-15

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What Ammo to buy for my AR-15

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Understanding that many folks don't care for AR15.com, they still have some world-renowned experts in the ballistics world who keep this page updated and useful:

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

I use the SSA with Nosler 77gr softpoint for inside the house. Even if you had a barrel that isn't optimized for a 77gr bullet, it wouldn't make a difference when shooting inside your home. I still prefer a handgun for bumps in the night, where I might have to clear the house - I'm more comfortable moving around corners and utilizing cover with a handgun. We had a manhunt that went into our neighborhood a few months back. I had the AR ready for that one.

Maybe one of these days I'll get around to building a scary SBR and get some training on it.

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

jayinsat wrote:I'm looking for advice on what I should use as defensive ammo for my AR-15 build. It's chambered in 556 and has cycled every fmj i've put through it. I understand the pistol caliber defensive ammo concept but am clueless when it comes to rifle calibers. I don't hunt and this gun is used for plinking and competition mostly. In between range trips i'd like to have a mag loaded up with home defense ammo but don't know what I should use.

Please advise. :tiphat:
Helpful hint: call ahead to your local range to see what ammo they allow, THEN shop for ammo or you will end up possessing a lot of useless ammo. Some ranges do not allow FMJ (garland public), some don't allow ferromagnetic, some don't allow green tip, some don't allow wolf/bear brand ammo (lacquered cases), some don't allow reloads, etc.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Rrash wrote:I use the SSA with Nosler 77gr softpoint for inside the house. Even if you had a barrel that isn't optimized for a 77gr bullet, it wouldn't make a difference when shooting inside your home. I still prefer a handgun for bumps in the night, where I might have to clear the house - I'm more comfortable moving around corners and utilizing cover with a handgun. We had a manhunt that went into our neighborhood a few months back. I had the AR ready for that one.

Maybe one of these days I'll get around to building a scary SBR and get some training on it.
I'd like to start a SBR sometime as well. 10.5" barrel chambered in 300BLK with a suppressor. Yes please.

I tried doing a 7.5" AR15 pistol in 5.56 but it was way too much muzzle flash and percussion for comfortable indoor shooting.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I like TAP or Gold Dots in 556.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”