Straight talk about shotguns

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Straight talk about shotguns

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Here's a good video for folks considering a shotgun for self-defense.

[video][/video]

Chas.

puma guy

Re: Straight talk about shotguns

Post by puma guy »

Thanks, Charles. Good video. Several folks have posted SG/Buck shot tests, including me. I found some very inexpensive 12 ga buck shot as well as the more expensive offerings in MY shotguns. Importantly these guys make the case to test in YOUR shotgun.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

fickman

Post by fickman »

Thanks for sharing!

I like that he's not trying to persuade you one way or the other - he's just saying, "If you plan to use a shotgun, you can know for sure what it will do, so don't guess."

Very informative.
Native Texian

VMI77
Posts in topic: 8

Post by VMI77 »

I use either Federal flite-tite wad buckshot or the Hornady version when I'm serious. I was shooting some last week and at that distance there was no spread. The hole the 00 buck made was barely distinguishable from the hole made by a 12 ga slug shot for comparison. I'd have to get back about twice that distance to get a spread like the one in the video.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Pawpaw »

VMI77 wrote:I use either Federal flite-tite wad buckshot or the Hornady version when I'm serious. I was shooting some last week and at that distance there was no spread. The hole the 00 buck made was barely distinguishable from the hole made by a 12 ga slug shot for comparison. I'd have to get back about twice that distance to get a spread like the one in the video.
I agree with you, but Federal calls that their Flite-Control wad. Hornady call's theirs the Versatite wad. :tiphat:

You just married the two. :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Pawpaw wrote:
VMI77 wrote:I use either Federal flite-tite wad buckshot or the Hornady version when I'm serious. I was shooting some last week and at that distance there was no spread. The hole the 00 buck made was barely distinguishable from the hole made by a 12 ga slug shot for comparison. I'd have to get back about twice that distance to get a spread like the one in the video.
I agree with you, but Federal calls that their Flite-Control wad. Hornady call's theirs the Versatite wad. :tiphat:

You just married the two. :lol:
I couldn't remember the names and was too lazy to look them up. I find names to be harder and harder to remember as I get older, but don't have a problem remembering numbers.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 6

Post by KD5NRH »

Well, I don't really expect to have to do the "hostage shot" with my 12ga, but I guess if I ever do, that slug at the end of the mag would be my choice for it anyway.

Patterns can be pretty reliable, but a single flyer of 000 buck at close range is enough to cause a really big problem when you're shooting past an innocent's head.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Nice video. Thanks Chas.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Deltaboy »

Good video.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 6

Post by KD5NRH »

VMI77 wrote:I couldn't remember the names and was too lazy to look them up. I find names to be harder and harder to remember as I get older, but don't have a problem remembering numbers.
Still remember the serial number of the musket you were issued, don't you? :biggrinjester:

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

KD5NRH wrote:
VMI77 wrote:I couldn't remember the names and was too lazy to look them up. I find names to be harder and harder to remember as I get older, but don't have a problem remembering numbers.
Still remember the serial number of the musket you were issued, don't you? :biggrinjester:
Come on man, absent our abusive Federal government there was no need for a serial number. I go by bore diameter.

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LeonCarr »

The Versatite Wad and the Flitecontrol Wad are the same wad, invented by the same guy, who is now really rich from double dipping on the royalties.

Winchester has come out with a knock-off of the Flitecontrol/Versatite that is used in the Razor Boar XT Buckshot Load. In my tests it does not pattern as tight as the Flitecontrol/Versatite Wad and costs more per round. Bought one box, shot it, won't buy more.

At household ranges any 00 Buckshot will work fine for defense. If the fight goes outside the home use one of the Flitecontrol Buckshot Loads or just switch to a Slug.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

LeonCarr wrote:The Versatite Wad and the Flitecontrol Wad are the same wad, invented by the same guy, who is now really rich from double dipping on the royalties.

Winchester has come out with a knock-off of the Flitecontrol/Versatite that is used in the Razor Boar XT Buckshot Load. In my tests it does not pattern as tight as the Flitecontrol/Versatite Wad and costs more per round. Bought one box, shot it, won't buy more.

At household ranges any 00 Buckshot will work fine for defense. If the fight goes outside the home use one of the Flitecontrol Buckshot Loads or just switch to a Slug.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
I like to be sure that inside my home I can confidently make a head shot without injuring a hostage, so I like the flitecontrol buck inside too. It patterns just a tad larger than a slug at 21 feet. Though I do go back and forth on the slug/buckshot rationale.

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LeonCarr »

A few points to ponder on doing the hostage rescue/head shot with a shotgun.

Even with extensive testing of a particular buckshot or slug load in a particular shotgun, the flight of all of the components of a buckshot or slug round, even at close range, cannot be 100% predicted.

Unlike a rifle or handgun that shoots one single projectile, the buckshot or slug round contains not only the payload, but the wadding and/or shot cup that flies through the air immediately after or with the projectile. Even with tight patterning buckshot or a slug, the flight of the wadding and/or shot cup can fly in a drastically different manner once it hits the air. This could result in serious bodily injury or even death when the wadding or shot cup, some of which are hard plastic or fiber and traveling at 1600 fps, strikes the hostage instead of striking the hostage taker along with the buckshot or slug.

Even with being a Peace Officer for 20 years, being a Firearms Instructor both privately and for my agency, shooting the shotgun on a weekly basis with 99% of that shooting being with buckshot and slugs, I will not take a hostage rescue shot with a shotgun unless no reasonable alternative exists.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Pawpaw »

With all due respect, I will not take a hostage rescue shot with any weapon unless no reasonable alternative exists.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”