.45 ACP Rifle

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 10

Re: .45 ACP Rifle

Post by E.Marquez »

puma guy wrote: You might try this place. You supply the rifle for conversion.
http://www.johntaylormachine.com
Yup, thanks' I sent him an email about 3 hours ago after reading his name in the article I listed above.
Last edited by E.Marquez on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

E.Marquez wrote:
puma guy wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
PBratton wrote:So, you could piece together an AR - 45acp.

But there is also Beretta Cx4 Storm, HiPoint Carbines, KRISS had a couple carbines, MPA1SST45, Taurus had a CT G2 Carbine (dunno if it's still around) and, of course MY favorite, the Thompson M1 or 1927A1 carbines.
I apologize if my original post was not clear.
I am looking for a lever action, .45 ACP rifle

Not a carbine
Not a bolt action
Not anything made by Highpoint
Not a Semi Auto

But something like the one in the article I linked to above.

Thanks for the assist though.
You might try this place. You supply the rifle for conversion.
http://www.johntaylormachine.com

Can't find a link but supposedly C.E. Harris converted a Marlin to .45 ACP that was written up in The American Rifleman magazine.
Yup, thanks''I sent him an email about 3 hours ago after reading his name in the article I listed above.
I think I found the taylor machine link on a lever gun web and someone had him convert a rifle. The price listed was very reasonable though it was from 3-4 years ago. They are a FFL so they ship and receive.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

E.Marquez wrote:
Commander Cody wrote:Use your search engine. I see several.
Wow that was helpful, now why didn't I think of using a search engine.... Oh wait....... :totap:

... Im familiar with Google. And I used it, I see NO lever action .45ACP rifles Do you?, please post a link.

While there are a few out there in other configurations none I found in a lever action...
Rossi model 92 -These will function in both .45 Colt and .45 ACP cartridges
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Commander Cody wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
Wow that was helpful, now why didn't I think of using a search engine.... Oh wait....... :totap:

... Im familiar with Google. And I used it, I see NO lever action .45ACP rifles Do you?, please post a link.

While there are a few out there in other configurations none I found in a lever action...
Thank you

Have you shot this gun with .45ACP ?

I ask because the manufacture does not seem to say it will function with .45ACP, and using Google you can find reports of it working and not working.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

No I have not. I only looked at the headline and it says "These will function in both .45 Colt and .45 ACP cartridges".
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

I do not own a lever gun. This thread has piqued my interest. Thanks E.Marquez for starting this.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Commander Cody wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:

I own two of these, and this is news to me. Hang on, lemme go check...

Edit:

Nope, they do NOT chamber or feed .45 ACP. The extractor cannot grab onto the cartridge, the lifter flips it out of the action if you try feeding from the magazine, and the cartridge will fall forward into the front of the chamber if you try single-loading.

I wouldn't recommend attempting to fire it, either. Probably wouldn't hurt the rifle, but it probably would hurt the brass.
Last edited by JSThane on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

JSThane wrote:
Commander Cody wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:

I'd have to see that.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

puma guy wrote:
JSThane wrote:
Commander Cody wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:

I'd have to see that.
Ran a quick "function test" with one, no firing, and it failed every check. Loading, chambering, extracting, feeding, etc.

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

It seems to me, if you were to rework a levergun into .45 ACP, you'd need to change quite a few things.
New chamber, requiring a new barrel. While you CAN shoot .451/.452 bullets out of a .454 bore, the .45 ACP headspaces on the cartridge mouth. The .45 Colt headspaces on the cartridge rim. You can get away with it in revolvers like the Blackhawk convertible, because the chambers are separate from the barrel; a rifle with chamber integral to the barrel will need a new barrel.
New bolt. The external diameter of the .45 Colt cartridge is significantly larger than the external diameter of the .45 ACP.
New extractor with the new bolt.
New guts for the shell lifter. As-is, it does not "grab" the cartridge for loading, but instead sproings it out into the air through the top of the action (with a Rossi 92 - other designs may just allow it to rattle around loose in the action).

In short, you'd need a whole new rifle, with the possibility of re-using the receiver, furniture, and maybe the magazine tube and spring, but no guarantees.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Commander Cody wrote:No I have not. I only looked at the headline and it says "These will function in both .45 Colt and .45 ACP cartridges".
Really... I must be blind..
Here is the page for the M92
http://screencast.com/t/NznsCXSxz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dont see it there.

http://screencast.com/t/jmFnJDSc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nope not on the Tech page either.

Looked in the catalog
http://www.rossiusa.com/pdf/2014_rossi_catalog.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nope don't see it there either.
Please, where are you seeing
Commander Cody wrote: "These will function in both .45 Colt and .45 ACP cartridges".
Can you provide a link and description to the manufacturers page that states it loads, chambers and fires .45 ACP?

Thanks

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

.45 Colt is a 'rimmed' cartridge...as is the .30-30, .357, .38 Special, and all the other calibers lever guns use. The .45 ACP is a rimless cartridge...revolvers that have been developed to use the rimless cartridges lately require the cartridges reside in a moon clip to function. No such mechanism for a tube magazine that I know of.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

RogueUSMC wrote:.45 Colt is a 'rimmed' cartridge...as is the .30-30, .357, .38 Special, and all the other calibers lever guns use. The .45 ACP is a rimless cartridge...revolvers that have been developed to use the rimless cartridges lately require the cartridges reside in a moon clip to function. No such mechanism for a tube magazine that I know of.
I don't profess to completely understand the mechanics behind making it work but clearly it's been done many times before.
up at the top of this thread you'll see links to several guns that have been custom-made from existing rifles to shoot the rimless 45 ACP round.

J Wilson

Post by J Wilson »

Wait for the end of the video

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/lwrcs-n ... show-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joe817
Posts in topic: 4

Post by joe817 »

E.Marquez wrote:I don't profess to completely understand the mechanics behind making it work but clearly it's been done many times before.up at the top of this thread you'll see links to several guns that have been custom-made from existing rifles to shoot the rimless 45 ACP round.
Not to put a damper on things but the original question: "But are there any .45 ACP rifles out there in the wild or only something custom built and a novelty at best." is pretty much answered in that yes, it can be done, but it's a total custom made job, and no, there is no commercially available, off the shelf lever gun that will fire a .45acp round. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”