Smith and Wesson M&P15 PC

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Jboiii78
Posts in topic: 2

Smith and Wesson M&P15 PC

Post by Jboiii78 »

Hey everyone,
I have been looking around for a while now for an AR15. I know they can get pretty expensive and I don't have a lot of money. I now have the opportunity to get a Smith and Wesson M&P15 PC. I know its a performance model from s&w. I was wondering what everyone's thought on it is. I'm looking for something tactical and I do know that it is pretty heavy but I have been wanting a AR15 for a very long time and this is a good deal and easy way for me to purchase it. It also has a few extras like pop up sights that cost $130 a piece. What do ya'll think. http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Sm ... _01_lg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Smith and Wesson M&P15 PC

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Jboiii78 wrote:Hey everyone,
I have been looking around for a while now for an AR15. I know they can get pretty expensive and I don't have a lot of money. I now have the opportunity to get a Smith and Wesson M&P15 PC. I know its a performance model from s&w. I was wondering what everyone's thought on it is. I'm looking for something tactical and I do know that it is pretty heavy but I have been wanting a AR15 for a very long time and this is a good deal and easy way for me to purchase it. It also has a few extras like pop up sights that cost $130 a piece. What do ya'll think. http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Sm ... _01_lg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you're looking for a half decent rifle to get started with, then I would say that the M&P15 would be a good affordable rifle. I do not suggest jumping onto the bandwagon with an expensive LaRue or anything if it's your first AR anyway. Once you get into it, and you feel like bumping it up in quality, you'll already know what you like, and what to look for. It's kinda like buying a sport bike for the first time, start off smaller and affordable, then figure out what you're into incase you want to bump it up to somethin better.

Let me know how your shopping is going.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Wes

Post by Wes »

I have a smith ar15 and two from palmetto state. If I buy another it too will be from palmetto. I'd give them a chance, you can build a nice set up starting around $5-600. They sell them in complete uppers and complete lowers so all you do is pin them together. I've shot hundreds of rounds through each and honestly can't tell a difference.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Topic author
Jboiii78
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jboiii78 »

Thanx for the help. I may go ahead with the m&p 15 pc. Still my only issue is that its a performance rifle and I feel like I want something lighter and more tactical. I guess since i'm just starting out with this platform I could always take off add on or switch out any parts I think necessary.

Napier

Post by Napier »

Look at the Ruger direct impingement AR556. Cabela's may still have it on sale for $629. I love mine.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

If you want a carbine with a collapsible stock, then I would pass on that particular model, since it is a fixed stock, 20" barrel with rifle length gas system... unless I was getting it dirt cheap.

Otherwise, look at the M&P 15 Sport, for a low cost entry.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Right. A 16.5" standard carbine length bbl will be preferable for tactical training. Plus a handguard that will let you (eventually) mount accessories should you so desire.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

SheilaYates

Post by SheilaYates »

Napier wrote:Look at the Ruger direct impingement AR556. Cabela's may still have it on sale for $629. I love mine.
Great that you love your weapon, me I am planning to buy also the same that I may be able to use it when going out for shooting with friends.
I wore no sword, but I carried a revolver, pocket knives, and bulls's-eye lantern.

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

I would give you a thumbs up for your choice, except you said, "I don't have a lot of money." In that case, I suggest you buy a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 sport. At $550, it is a steal. That's because all other AR-15s in its price range uses a "pencil barrel" that will not be as accurate after multiple shots due to barrel whipiness and overheating. The M&P Sport has a full profile barrel. This gun is good for home defense, general use, 3 gun & carbine competitions, and target plinking. Grabagun.com sells them online or from theirs store in Carrollton, Tx for $550.

For a better recommendation, you need to tell us your use for the gun.

If you want a lightweight rifle for hunting, the pencil barrel might be better due to less weight and for hunting, you usually only pull off one or two shots, so no worries about barrel overheating.

For NRA or CMP competitions, you'll need a floating barrel, match trigger, and a full profile heavy long 20 inch barrel. That's the M&P 15 PC you're looking at. That is an extremely high quality firearm and my no means cheap. Out of my 3 recommendations, the M&P 15 PC is the best gun of the lot. You will never be able to outshoot that gun. You can almost buy three M&P 15 Sports for the price of one M&P 15 PC. I would feel comfortable hunting with this gun or defending a hallway in my home. Conversely, my other 2 gun recommendations cannot be used for top level NRA or CMP service rifle marksmanship matches.
Jboiii78 wrote:Hey everyone,

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”