Which .308 Platform?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Which .308 would you choose?

"AR10"-AR10
15%
"AR10"-SR25
9%
"AR10"-LR308/G2 recon
11%
FN Scar 17
9%
FN FAL/DSA 58
9%
HK91/PTR91/FA91
4%
CETME
2%
M1A
28%
OTHER
13%

Total votes: 54

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 3

Which .308 Platform?

Post by LSUTiger »

I want a Semi-Auto .308 but can't decide on which platform to choose?

Ideally, I am looking for a mid to long range gun. 1 MOA, 300yd to 800yd (ok, if I went that far why not 1000). Really, I'm looking to supplement my AR15 and extend my range. Plus I just like .308 I am willing to compromise on a battle rifle with good long range accuracy vs a pure precision shooter.

I would like an "AR10" platform, but lack of a uniform standard like the AR15 leaves me a bit confused. AR10 vs SR25 vs LR308 (and G2 recon is that LR308 or is it different?). Any opinions on which platform will or is emerging as a front runner for possible "AR10" standardization?

I've also considered:

FN Scar 17
FN FAL/DSA 58
HK91/PTR91/FA91
CETME
M1A

Did I miss anything?

Consider:

1.Reliability
2. Accuracy
3. Magazine Availability
4.Magazine Interchangeability
5.Parts Availability
6.Parts interchangeability
7.Accessories
8.Optic Mounting Options
9. Price-last consideration but important if 1-8 are satisfied, or not, then I might compromise on what I want
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Which .308 Platform?

Post by AJSully421 »

Not on your list: Sig 716.

I have the 16" patrol rifle in FDE with a 2-10x on it.

I am not one of these piston advocates, but I was very surprised by this rifle. I have a suppressor and it is night and day between this piston .308 and my 5.56 DI guns with even a few rounds through it. Much easier to clean the piston. The 716 is right at a 1 MOA rifle (I am only a 1 MOA shooter, you might get better groups), reliability is there, takes standard mags (I use Magpul 20 rounders), many parts are proprietary, has pic. rail on upper and quad rail so you can add whatever you like.

I paid $1,800 and got $200 back in a factory rebate promotion last summer.

I am extremely happy with it, but the longest shot I have at the ranch is 450 yards. Further out you may notice a difference. It is heavy compared to a 5.56... but all of them are.

If I were looking for a true "patrol rifle" in .308 with a red dot or ACOG and only needed about 300-400 yards out of it... this would be the best AR pattern .308 rifle in the world!
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My friend has been shooting 1 MOA and better at 800 yards with a SCAR 17S at the ETTS range. Mine will shoot well into the sub-MOAs at 100 yards. I shot 10 rounds into .75" on my first range trip with mine.

I have owned an AR10, and an M1A, and I currently have a SCAR 17S. Of the three, I prefer, in this order: 1) the SCAR, 2) the M1A, and 3) the AR10. I sold my AR10 to C-dub a couple of months ago. I'm still kicking myself in the butt for having traded away my M1A for the AR10.

All three were/are very accurate rifles and would serve you fine. For me, it was just a matter of the heart. My AR10 didn't speak to me. Yesterday, my son and I spent the day at Parker County Sportsman Club, and I got to shoot his M1A in a Sage EBR chassis, alongside my SCAR 17. Both nice rifles, but the 9.5 lb M1A outweighs the 8.0 lb SCAR by 1-1/2 lb not counting the Sage chassis. An M1A in its original stock is a Cadillac. Wonderful rifles. But they are not quite as rugged as the SCAR or the AR10.

Either of those three platforms would give you a very accurate semiauto .308.

If really rugged is what you're looking for, I'd put a FAL or a SCAR on top, with an AR10 a close second. I don't know very much about the HK/PTR platform. I think they are interesting, but not unique enough to make your primary .308. I understand that the magazines are relatively inexpensive. I don't know a thing about the CETME.

Also, keep in mind that you can pick up a VERY good .308 bolt rifle and scope combo for the price of a SCAR 17S.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I was recently bit by the same bug & wound up getting a Colt LE901-16S.

It has the added ability to accept any milspec AR-15 upper. It uses standard Pmags and many AR-15 accessories will fit just fine.

I need to finish dialing it in and doing some ammo testing, but I'm already convinced it's a sub-MOA battle rifle.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

A-R

Post by A-R »

I know next to nothing about .308 semiauto choices. But if it was my money, it would be whatever LaRue Tactical makes. Period. End of story.

Having shot one once, I can't imagine what more you could ever want or need.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

A bigger bank account? ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

PBR

Post by PBR »

I recently decided to do an AR10, I went the cheaper route compared to most with PSA http://palmettostatearmory.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I don't have any issues with it yet, I have yet to test it out for accuracy hopefully will this weekend, just got scope for it. Their prices are pretty tough to beat but again some like them and some don't, theirs are based off DPMS style.

not very good pic of it but its an 18" SS barrel

Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

psijac

FN SCAR CSR (Compact Sniper Rifle) 20

Post by psijac »

inprovements to the scar platform coming in late 2015, start saving your pennies now. 1 mile shots from a 16 inch barrel :fire

[youtube][/youtube]
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

joe817

Post by joe817 »

AndyC wrote:Well, the back-story is kinda interesting and subject to a little rumor here and there.

The FAL was designed by an FN engineer shortly after WW2 (FN, of course, being located in Belgium). After it was introduced to the market in the early 50's, ze Germans bought 100,000 for their army (designated the G1) - and eventually decided that they wanted a license to manufacture the rifle themselves.

The Belgians, however, told them to long-jump off a short pier, so the Germans turned to the Spanish CETME company (started by a German arms engineer) and licensed the rights to the CETME 58 rifle - which was made by H und K as the G3 series (HK 91 = semi-auto variant). The PTR series is just a US-produced copy of the G3/91, made on (I think) Portuguese tooling.

The rumor as to WHY the Belgians told the Germans no is that they were apparently still a little peeved about their country having been steamrollered by German tanks not long before :lol:
I always wanted a CETME, just to be different. :lol: This is a very interesting story indeed Andy. It's kinda like: which came first, the chicken or the egg. I was under the impression that the CETME was used for a prototype of the G3(wanted one of those's too!). Splitting hairs here. You're right about the German engineer though. :cheers2:

But an interesting read on the history of the G3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_G3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

With all due respect, all manufacturers have a bad habit of overstating their product. He says the rifle is being developed to provide 1,000 yard capability. Then later he claims shooting it out to a mile - 1760 yards. Now this is assuming they are still chambering the rifle for 7.62 X 51. The longest confirmed sniper kill with that combination is 1050 yards.

Can you shoot a 7.62 X 51 out to 1760 yards? Of course. You can shoot a 22 long rifle that far. The real question is why would you want to? Zero the 7.62 X 51 at 1000 yards and you still need over 120 minutes of angle up to hit center target at 1760 yards.

There are several cartridges that are flat shooting enough to be used at 1760, but the 762 X 51 isn't one of them. (338 Lapua and 50 BMG come to mind) Effective shots at those ranges are not cold bore shots, but rather walked on target like artillery.

I think I'd wait and see if the Army adopts the FN before considering that one. Besides, I'd need a year or so to save up enough for a down payment. Meantime, if you want long range shooting, you could buy a McMillan or GA Precision for lots less and get a less expensive AR-10 type rifle. The military pretty much uses the .300 Win Mag (or greater) for longer ranges, not the .308.

My 2 cents anyway.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Marshal »

Now that TAM has been shooting his SCAR, he can tell you that is one of the SOFTEST shooting .308s of the ones you listed, if not THE softest.
You get the combination of the strengths of a Carbine with the legs of a Bolt rifle.
Another thing to consider is Balance. The SCAR Heavy is very balanced at just 8 lbs, but the others you listed tend toward Front heavy balance and considerable more weight.
For example the SIG 716 is 9.3 Lbs, DPMS LR-308 is 11 lbs, etc. If they are piston based, the weight will be forward of the magazine.

And these have been active in Iraq/Afghanistan for last several years by US SOCOM personnel for that 'reach out and touch someone' experience.
You can find tons of pictures of bearded men with Oakleys running around with Desert Tan rifles with those nasty suppressors on the front.

Colion Noir commenting on the SCAR...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

ShootDontTalk wrote:With all due respect, all manufacturers have a bad habit of overstating their product. He says the rifle is being developed to provide 1,000 yard capability. Then later he claims shooting it out to a mile - 1760 yards. Now this is assuming they are still chambering the rifle for 7.62 X 51. The longest confirmed sniper kill with that combination is 1050 yards.

Can you shoot a 7.62 X 51 out to 1760 yards? Of course. You can shoot a 22 long rifle that far. The real question is why would you want to? Zero the 7.62 X 51 at 1000 yards and you still need over 120 minutes of angle up to hit center target at 1760 yards.

There are several cartridges that are flat shooting enough to be used at 1760, but the 762 X 51 isn't one of them. (338 Lapua and 50 BMG come to mind) Effective shots at those ranges are not cold bore shots, but rather walked on target like artillery.

I think I'd wait and see if the Army adopts the FN before considering that one. Besides, I'd need a year or so to save up enough for a down payment. Meantime, if you want long range shooting, you could buy a McMillan or GA Precision for lots less and get a less expensive AR-10 type rifle. The military pretty much uses the .300 Win Mag (or greater) for longer ranges, not the .308.

My 2 cents anyway.
The longest recorded sniper kill with 7.62 NATO is 1250 meters, or 1367 yards.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”