Rem 700 Bottom Metal?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 3

Rem 700 Bottom Metal?

Post by ShootDontTalk »

I need to finish out a Remington 700 (short action) by installing some bottom metal that allows use of a box magazine. I never seemed able to afford the Badger I was originally looking at.

Any recommendations on a good, reasonably priced, assembly? I would like to be able to use something other than proprietary magazines, but realistically one mag might be enough.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Rem 700 Bottom Metal?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I was actually looking at bottom metal for my 700 just last night. I restricted my search to Brownells, but it looks like all comers were in the $330-$380 range, with a 5 round magazine included. The metal without the magazine can be found for under $300. There were several brands offered: http://www.brownells.com/search/index.h ... &ksubmit=y.

A few things to be aware of:
  1. Most of these kits will require some inletting to your stock, and milling of any existing metallic bedding blocks. If you're not comfortable with DIY, then you need to consider the added cost of a gunsmith. And BTW, it ruins the stock for going back to the OEM setup if you ever change your mind for any reason.
  2. It appears that none of them will accommodate the extra width of aftermarket trigger shoes like the Timney that is on my 700, and so the slot for the shoe will have to be milled out too to accommodate the trigger.
  3. Replacement 10 round AI type magazines (seems to be what all these kits call for) seem run run in the $80-$100 range each.
The conclusion is that you have to really want to make this conversion. I have a really nice 700 that I'd like this feature on, but when I balance how often I shoot it, and under what circumstances, I just find it hard to justify the entry cost.

As you can see, a removable box mag would be appropriate for this rifle, but it is a LOT of money.....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

The guys on the Sniper Forum all pretty much say this is a very good system. Proprietary mags, but if you have a HS Precision stock, it is usually 100% drop in. I think the Bell and Carlson is also a drop in.

http://wyattsoutdoor.com/product_info.p ... ucts_id/44

They say some places have pretty good sales. Still quite a bit of money though. Maybe someone will catch a sale.

Wes
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Wes »

Yall considered going with the new magpul system? I've been looking at that as I've wanted drop mags for mine forever but agree the price to enter is a bit steep for a gun I only occasionally shoot.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Topic author
ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Am I reading the P-Mag site right? They make that product to work with their stock only? That a great price, but I already have a pretty pricey stock that I did all the custom work on. I'd hate to give it up as the stock, to me, is far more important than the mag system.

It would be nice to have the abundance of wealth to be able to afford one of these:

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/aiaics.html

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The problem I've run into in considering the various chassis systems is that none that I have found so far offer a left-handed version. My Remington 700 is left handed.

It has a very nice HS Precision "varmint" contour stock, and it fits me very well, so I don't really need to replace it; nor do I have a real motivation to do so. But bottom metal with a removable box magazine is an upgrade I would like to make. I just keep having more pressing to spend that money, so it keeps going on the back burner.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

I run a Pacific Tool and Guage bottom metal on two of my rifles. Take Accuracy International mags and I've never had any issues. They also make one for 223 caliber Remington 700s that takes AR mags.
http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/ind ... 08_4_90_95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:I run a Pacific Tool and Guage bottom metal on two of my rifles. Take Accuracy International mags and I've never had any issues. They also make one for 223 caliber Remington 700s that takes AR mags.
http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/ind ... 08_4_90_95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Awesome link, thanks for sharing!!!! :cheers2:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Hivner

Post by Hivner »

Instead of just doing an ADL-to-BDL conversion for $120, I decided to give this a try when I got a new Bell and Carlson stock. Installation required some inletting, but just going a little at a time to get a perfect fit worked for me. It feeds great! I cut off the bottom magazine guide that sticks out to be flush with the stock and beveled the new "flush" magwell, so for $100 less I have essentially the same thing as the CDI mag conversion. It takes some love to install, but go a little at a time and it will work reliably.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”