Question for those with NFA expertise...lol

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 12

Question for those with NFA expertise...lol

Post by RogueUSMC »

If I build a rifle with a 10.5" barrel but I pin 6" worth of suppressor on it, will it still require the SBR stamp as well as the suppressor stamp? Or will the pinned suppressor extend the barrel length for NFA purposes?

*edited for mathematics...lol
Attachments
received_1135599036466134.jpeg
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

ByrdMan
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Question for those with NFA expertise...lol

Post by ByrdMan »

Yep, still requires both stamps. Form 1 for the SBR and form 4 for the suppressor. The suppressor is not considered part of the barrel therefore it doesn't count towards barrel length.

Topic author
RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

But if a muzzle brake is pinned it counts as part of the barrel for NFA purposes??
- Napoleon Bonaparte

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RogueUSMC wrote:But if a muzzle brake is pinned it counts as part of the barrel for NFA purposes??
Yes it does. But if you've got a 10.5" barrel, and a 1.5" muzzle brake, you've still got only 12" of barrel; too short of a barrel to escape NFA.

I'm actually in the process of putting together the list of parts for my own suppressed SBR build, with help from my son - who works for a Class III dealer/manufacturer. I'm using a 11.5" barreled upper from Aero Precision on a Spikes Tactical Gen 2 billet lower. I'm building my own can.....legally, no less. Not counting the tax stamp (which you still have to pay), it only runs $150 or so in parts, instead of $600-$1000. You can do it at home, and it works beautifully. BONUS POINTS: you e-file it through BATF's website on a Form 1 which only takes 30 days to complete, instead of on a Form 4 which can take 6 months or more.

http://www.sdtacticalarms.com/Videos_ep_41.html
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I see that but if you have a 14.5" barrel and pin 1.5" of muzzle brake on it, it is not an SBR. Can you do the same with a can in lieu of the brake? and only pay the suppressor stamp?
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Wes

Post by Wes »

If you get a 12" barrel you could go with a sure fire suppressor set up as their 762 break is 4".
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Topic author
RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

So far, I have gotten opinions (that need to be verified...lol) that as long as the suppressor is pinned and welded to the barrel, it satisfies the 16" rule but you still are on tap for the suppressor stamp.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Wes

Post by Wes »

I am curious as to why it would not count as well. Here is the atf rule on it. https://www.atf.gov/files/publications/ ... pter-2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, it just says "muzzle devices" and they have to be permanently attached. What I can not find is a definition of muzzle devices that would exclude the suppressor from being one. If it can be pinned or hot welded (I would not trust weld only) then I do not see why it does not count as a muzzle device. It's attached to the muzzle is it not? Why would you want to tho? For $200 you have a can that can be used on multiple firearms. A good smith to pin/weld will cost at least half that.

Not that I don't trust you TAM but would just like to verify ;)
Last edited by Wes on Mon May 04, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

ByrdMan

Post by ByrdMan »

Well now y'all have me second guessing myself, lol. Now that you mention it''s going to be welded to the barrel, I think it would then become part of the barrel. Hell I don't know, lol.

Topic author
RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Just toying with the idea. I have the parts for my build to the barrel nut. Now is when the decisions as to barrel, muzzle device and gas system length are being made...lol. The 15" foreend will go around a can. So if I were to go shorter on the barrel and intergrate a suppressor in the 16" total length range, it sounds like an idea but that would be $400 in stamps over and above the cost of the components. If I made the union permanent, I might be able to lose one of the $200 stamps...lol
- Napoleon Bonaparte

ByrdMan

Post by ByrdMan »

RogueUSMC wrote:Just toying with the idea. I have the parts for my build to the barrel nut. Now is when the decisions as to barrel, muzzle device and gas system length are being made...lol. The 15" foreend will go around a can. So if I were to go shorter on the barrel and intergrate a suppressor in the 16" total length range, it sounds like an idea but that would be $400 in stamps over and above the cost of the components. If I made the union permanent, I might be able to lose one of the $200 stamps...lol
It seems to me that if it were permanent, the barrel would be a pain to clean since the suppressor can't be taken off. In the very near future I'll be building an SBR in 300 blk and am going to just get both stamps. It'll be an 8" barrel and the suppressor is 9". To me it'll be worth the extra 200 bucks just so there is no question about legality (not saying yours wouldn't be legal if permanent, I just don't know) and I already planned on getting both stamps anyway.

Topic author
RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Yeah, if I went SBR, blackout would be my choice in regards to ballistics, but I can't remember the last time I saw blackout on the shelf. I will probably just go 16" 5.56 for this one.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CleverNickname »

ByrdMan wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:It seems to me that if it were permanent, the barrel would be a pain to clean since the suppressor can't be taken off.
This. A permanently attached silencer counts towards barrel length, but from a functional point of view, it's less than ideal. Just spend the $200 on the SBR too.

Or suppress a 16" rifle. A couple of my 16" ARs are suppressed and they're not terribly unwieldy, though I prefer 11.5". Or suppress a bullpup if you want to stay with a title I rifle, but still want to keep it short.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RogueUSMC wrote:I see that but if you have a 14.5" barrel and pin 1.5" of muzzle brake on it, it is not an SBR. Can you do the same with a can in lieu of the brake? and only pay the suppressor stamp?
No, barrel and can length are considered separate. For instance, consider barrels with integral suppressors.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

The real question is why? Why would you permanently attach a suppressor to a rifle in lieu of paying an additional $200 for the sbr?

Also TAM efiled Form 1s are taking quite a bit longer than 30 days right now. Closer to 3 months.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”