New (to me) M1A Range Report

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RJGold
Posts in topic: 6

New (to me) M1A Range Report

Post by RJGold »

Finally got a chance to sneak away to the range and shoot my M1A. I hate to admit it but I've owned this rifle for about a month and today was the first time I got to shoot it.

It functioned flawlessly. I shot 40 rounds through it today.

A big plus was that I was in Dallas and my dad went to Elm Fork with me to shoot. He just had hip replacement 3 weeks ago so I was tickled that he got out with me.

A big shout out to Ernie at Elm Fork as well. He came out to the car, picked my dad up in the golf cart, and delivered him to the firing line so he didn't have to negotiate the stairs!!! I forgot how much I missed that range when I moved away from Dallas.

In the "I should have done more research before I went to the range dept", I was told that a 25m zero on an M1A would put you dead on at 250m so that's what I did. After returning home and doing some research, I think I was probably OK on my elevation to start with as published material suggests you should be 1.8" high at 25m to be dead on at 250m. Oh well, just means another trip to the range is in order.

On the attached photo, the groups circled and labeled "1" are the first set of shots I took without adjusting anything. The set circled and labeled "2" are after I made adjustments. These were all done at 25m with open sights.

I bought this rifle sight unseen on this forum and I couldn't be happier with it. Thanks to mcscanner for the great rifle and thanks to TAM for some advice along the way.
Attachments
image.jpg
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

PBratton
Posts in topic: 2

Re: New (to me) M1A Range Report

Post by PBratton »

RJ,

My M1A is one of my favorite rifles, It's 1/2 a notch below it's older brother, the M1 Garand.

You'll enjoy yours, I'm sure of that.

Not sure what part of Houston you are in, but if you want to meet up with my M1 family, I'd be happy make that happen.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

PBratton wrote:RJ,

My M1A is one of my favorite rifles, It's 1/2 a notch below it's older brother, the M1 Garand.

Not sure what part of Houston you are in, but if you want to meet up with my M1 family, I'd be happy make that happen.
That would be awesome. I live in Sugar Land. I could use some help on setting up optics and would like to find a range out to 300m to shoot. If you know of a good one, please let me know.

Thanks for your note.

Edited to add - I just noticed you are in Sugar Land as well. A meeting should be easy to do.
Take Care.
RJ

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

AndyC wrote:
RJGold wrote:In the "I should have done more research before I went to the range dept", I was told that a 25m zero on an M1A would put you dead on at 250m so that's what I did. After returning home and doing some research, I think I was probably OK on my elevation to start with as published material suggests you should be 1.8" high at 25m to be dead on at 250m. Oh well, just means another trip to the range is in order.
Those are generalizations - they should be good enough to get you close, but as you know, you do need to test what you actually get with your rifle and ammo. Definitely another range trip needed :)

Nice shooting.
Thank you. I need to find a range in Houston out to 300m. I lost my deer lease this past year. We had a 200m range set up there.
Take Care.
RJ

PBratton
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PBratton »

RJGold wrote:

That would be awesome. I live in Sugar Land. I could use some help on setting up optics and would like to find a range out to 300m to shoot. If you know of a good one, please let me know.

Thanks for your note.

Edited to add - I just noticed you are in Sugar Land as well. A meeting should be easy to do.
Excellent, I belong to Bayou Rifles, so we can use the 300 yard range. Unfortunately, it is down for maintenance this week.

I'd be happy to get with you and do some range time.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

PBratton wrote:
RJGold wrote:

Thanks for your note.

Excellent, I belong to Bayou Rifles, so we can use the 300 yard range. Unfortunately, it is down for maintenance this week.

I'd be happy to get with you and do some range time.
Awesome!!! I sent you a PM with my contact details. Thanks again for your very kind offer.
Take Care.
RJ

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

Update...

Progress on optics...

Sadlack Industries scope mount...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Take Care.
RJ

mcscanner
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mcscanner »

RJGold wrote:Update...

Progress on optics...

Very sweet! Looks like the old gal is going to get some eyes.

Did you find the receiver and mount were a good fit? I was always reluctant to explore the dimensional quality of the receiver when I had the rifle.

Nice job! I look forward to seeing the scope and follow up with a range report.

Mike
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

mcscanner wrote:
RJGold wrote:Update...

Progress on optics...

Very sweet! Looks like the old gal is going to get some eyes.

Did you find the receiver and mount were a good fit? I was always reluctant to explore the dimensional quality of the receiver when I had the rifle.

Nice job! I look forward to seeing the scope and follow up with a range report.

Mike
Thanks Mike.

The mount fit OK. The stripper clip mount and the dovetail didn't fit up exactly (The mounting screw wouldn't start cleanly with the mount secured to the receiver). Rather than do some metal work, I altered the mounting sequence and loosely started the dovetail mounting screw into the dovetail piece. I then secured the mount to the receiver and checked that the dovetail wasn't in a bind. It wasn't so I went on from there.

Next step is to find the optics, get them mounted and see how they do in terms of staying anchored and giving repeatable accuracy.

I'll keep you posted!!!
Take Care.
RJ

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”