870, or 887?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

schufflerbot
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 870, or 887?

Post by schufflerbot »

closest I can get to the 590A1 is my mossy 500 I had a long time ago. Honestly, only about 100 rounds ever went through it when I owned it so I can only speak to those few shells... but I never had a malfunction and I never cleaned it, if that helps at all. As memory serves, I enjoyed shooting the 870 a lot more than the mossy.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 17

Post by The Annoyed Man »

schufflerbot wrote:closest I can get to the 590A1 is my mossy 500 I had a long time ago. Honestly, only about 100 rounds ever went through it when I owned it so I can only speak to those few shells... but I never had a malfunction and I never cleaned it, if that helps at all. As memory serves, I enjoyed shooting the 870 a lot more than the mossy.
My son has a 500 tactical and has never had a problem with it.

I've pretty much made up my mind to buy the 590A1.....probably some time tomorrow.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cyphertext »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
schufflerbot wrote:closest I can get to the 590A1 is my mossy 500 I had a long time ago. Honestly, only about 100 rounds ever went through it when I owned it so I can only speak to those few shells... but I never had a malfunction and I never cleaned it, if that helps at all. As memory serves, I enjoyed shooting the 870 a lot more than the mossy.

I've pretty much made up my mind to buy the 590A1.....probably some time tomorrow.
TAM, the biggest difference between the 870 line Mossberg line is the location of the safety. If you plan to put an AR style pistol grip and stock on the shotgun, you would be better off with the 870 due to the location of the safety. If you plan to go with a traditional shoulder stock, either one will serve you well...

schufflerbot
Posts in topic: 3

Post by schufflerbot »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

update with pics when ya get her!!

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

cyphertext wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

TAM, the biggest difference between the 870 line Mossberg line is the location of the safety. If you plan to put an AR style pistol grip and stock on the shotgun, you would be better off with the 870 due to the location of the safety. If you plan to go with a traditional shoulder stock, either one will serve you well...
I have no plans to go with anything but the OEM shoulder stock for now. The safety location on the Mossberg is ambidextrous, and I'm a lefty. I do know that Mossberg offers the 590A1 with an AR-type shoulder stock and pistol grip, so I'm assuming that I could convert later if I wanted to.....

The one I'm buying, with ghost ring sight:

With a "Speed Feed" stock:

With an AR-type stock:

With a different ghost ring sight on a rail and Magpul furniture:

They even have a heavy-walled Left-Handed version with a different ghost ring:

Heck, they even have one with a rear peep sight on a rail and a bayonet mount, with bayonet included:

Given the $212.00 premium for the left handed model, I probably wouldn't buy that one.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

I have no plans to go with anything but the OEM shoulder stock for now. The safety location on the Mossberg is ambidextrous, and I'm a lefty. I do know that Mossberg offers the 590A1 with an AR-type shoulder stock and pistol grip, so I'm assuming that I could convert later if I wanted to.....
You could convert it later, but the tang safety is difficult to reach with the pistol grip. Most folks can not keep their hand in place on the pistol grip and work the safety.
The 870 cross bolt safety is easier to use with your hand on the grip, so that is why I asked. If you intend to stay with a typical shoulder stock, the tang safety is great, and like you said, is also ambidextrous.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

cyphertext wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

You could convert it later, but the tang safety is difficult to reach with the pistol grip. Most folks can not keep their hand in place on the pistol grip and work the safety.
The 870 cross bolt safety is easier to use with your hand on the grip, so that is why I asked. If you intend to stay with a typical shoulder stock, the tang safety is great, and like you said, is also ambidextrous.
That's a great point about the grip and the safety, and I admit that I hadn't thought of that. But I had intended to get a regular shoulder stock and was going to probably leave it that way anyway. The main question for me is whether or not I want the plain shoulders stock, or the "Speed Feed Stock" shoulder stock. I'll probably go with the basic stock and a extra ammo cuff.

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:That's a great point about the grip and the safety, and I admit that I hadn't thought of that. But I had intended to get a regular shoulder stock and was going to probably leave it that way anyway. The main question for me is whether or not I want the plain shoulders stock, or the "Speed Feed Stock" shoulder stock. I'll probably go with the basic stock and a extra ammo cuff.
How hard is it for a lefty to work a right-handed button safety like the 870 has? Would it be easier with or without a pistol grip stock?

I like a conventional stock better, especially on a shotgun. It makes it so much easier to butt stroke someone who seriously needs it. :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Pawpaw wrote: How hard is it for a lefty to work a right-handed button safety like the 870 has? Would it be easier with or without a pistol grip stock?
If I were a lefty and going with an 870, I would just buy one of the safety conversion kits and change it to where it is a left handed safety. Then, either a standard style stock, or a pistol grip style stock would work for you.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

AndyC wrote:The 590 is a fine shotgun - it'll even run with your Crisco lube ;-)
Haha!
Pawpaw wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:That's a great point about the grip and the safety, and I admit that I hadn't thought of that. But I had intended to get a regular shoulder stock and was going to probably leave it that way anyway. The main question for me is whether or not I want the plain shoulders stock, or the "Speed Feed Stock" shoulder stock. I'll probably go with the basic stock and a extra ammo cuff.
How hard is it for a lefty to work a right-handed button safety like the 870 has? Would it be easier with or without a pistol grip stock?

I like a conventional stock better, especially on a shotgun. It makes it so much easier to butt stroke someone who seriously needs it. :lol:
My O/U has a safety switch mounted on the tang, like the Mossberg's, and it is easy to use. My left-handed Benelli SBE II has a proper left-handed safety button on the left side of the rear trigger guard - push in toward the right to unsafe. My Stevens 350 has a proper right-handed safety on the right side of the rear trigger guard - push in toward the left to unsafe. The Stevens safety feels unnatural to me. The Benelli safety feels natural, as does the tang-mounted safety.

#TINVOWOOT

rentz
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rentz »

AndyC wrote:The 870 Express is poor quality these days; I'd pick that one of the two choices but I'd expect to be prepared to do some work on it to get it reliable; not much of a problem in your case, of course.

Here's a comparative review:

puma guy wrote:I just remembered Andy C posted about an 870 Clone he bought . I think it was the forerunner of the NEF , maybe Interarms??? I'll try to find the post.

Found it!
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=61344&p=772699&hilit=clone#p772699
The Interarms/Norinco Hawk 982, yes. That pic is a little old - I added an extended mag-tube (Choate) to it:

I noticed those hawk 982s seem to be harder to find locally now, Academy doesnt seem to carry them anymore.

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Deltaboy »

When you get an 870 just get a Wingmaster. There are police trade ins below the price point you stated.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Deltaboy wrote:When you get an 870 just get a Wingmaster. There are police trade ins below the price point you stated.
But then I have pay for the upgrades I want. For instance, I want the ghost ring rear sight and matching front sight. I want the extended magazine with 9 round capacity. I'd want the left-handed safety conversion kit. Etc., etc., etc.

The Mossberg has ambi safety, and already comes with the other upgrades.

#TINVOWOOT

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ShootDontTalk »

The 590A1 will serve you extremely well. I don't know how you are with the NBA size LOPs, but check out the Hogue 12" LOP stock kit. I handle shotguns better when swinging from left to right with the short LOP stock. You might find it useful. Best $50 I ever spent on a defensive shotgun. In fact all my shotguns have them. Also makes it super for Mrs. SDT to handle and reduces the overall length about 2".

I'm not much for AR stocks on shotguns. As others pointed out, the Mossberg safety placement advantage becomes a liability with a pistol grip of any flavor.

I have to agree with Andy in spades about the Hawk 982. That particular gun runs much better than all but the most expensive tactical 870s. Every part from an 870 fits, except the barrel. It is the value of the century. Mine has been simply perfect for many years now. I would recommend the Mossberg 930SPX for an autoloader. Hard to argue with being able to empty the magazine in less than 2 seconds - every time!
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”