Looking for advice on troublesome primer strike

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Looking for advice on troublesome primer strike

Post by Bitter Clinger »

On the 100 yard range last weekend I was running a new Colt 20" Bull bbl upper (5.56 chamber, 1:9 twist) on an existing Colt LE6920 (carbine) lower. When "cease fire" called and upon clearing the live round from the chamber, I noticed that there was a firing pin strike on the chambered round (Hornady 55 gr BTHP 5.56).

When the line went hot I chambered and cleared again and saw the same strike on primer marking. I immediately ceased use of the firearm. I suspect that there could be a headspace or bbl seating issue? I did pull BCG and visually inspected, saw nothing apparently out of ordinary. Upper had about 40 rounds through it before I noticed this.

Any opnions on what I should look for would be welcome! Any recommendations for qualified gunsmiths in DFW area (I live in N. Dallas, work in Irving) that could help me?

THANKS!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

jimd1981
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking for advice on troublesome primer strike

Post by jimd1981 »

No worries. That's normal, in my experience.
The AR-15 has a light "floating" firing pin that will contact the primer when chambering a round.

If it troubles you, google "ar-15 firing pin inertia dimple" to see more images that look exactly like yours.
“I got a fever! And the only prescription… is more cowbell...or possibly range time.”
Now Carrying - H&K USP .45c

dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

Perfectly normal. As jimd says, the AR has a floating firing pin which will strike the primer when the bolt closes. There isn't enough inertia in the pin to set off the round, so a slam fire is nearly impossible. Just keep on shooting :tiphat:

rotor

Post by rotor »

When I reload 5.56 ( which I rarely do now that ammo is available) I use CCI #41 primers just for this reason.

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Thanks for all the feedback! Very useful and much appreciated! :thumbs2:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”