Suppressor build success

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

rm9792
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Suppressor build success

Post by rm9792 »

Someone asked about advantages to building your own. 2 main ones I like are the cost and you can make adaptable ones. A friend got a lathe and got real good at making baffles. We made multiple sets for different calibers and you can get the tube and different mounts (threads) online for cheap. So with one registered titanium tube I can attach to everything from .17 to .45acp. Just change baffles and endcaps. We even figured out to open up an end cap to accept Liberty Mystic suppressor pistons so the .45 will cycle.

loktite
Posts in topic: 3

Post by loktite »

I was under the impression you can't change out endcaps and baffles once it has been fired, that the only then you can do in that regard legally is use wipes?
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 35

Post by The Annoyed Man »

rm9792 wrote:Someone asked about advantages to building your own. 2 main ones I like are the cost and you can make adaptable ones. A friend got a lathe and got real good at making baffles. We made multiple sets for different calibers and you can get the tube and different mounts (threads) online for cheap. So with one registered titanium tube I can attach to everything from .17 to .45acp. Just change baffles and endcaps. We even figured out to open up an end cap to accept Liberty Mystic suppressor pistons so the .45 will cycle.
Did I meet you at ETTS a couple of weeks ago, on the 100/200 yard sighting in range? I spoke with someone who talked about him and a friend buying a lathe and making their own suppressors. My son and I were there with our homemade suppressors, and we talked about sourcing of parts.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

No, I haven't met anyone at ETTS. From my research the maker (manufacturer) can repair a suppressor. I assume that's me. Will be writing the ATF to ask for clarification since I cant get a definite answer one way or another. You can buy pistons and such at a lot of places so I am not sure whats different about that. I know the tube is serialed but the other parts aren't. I lost all those replacement baffles last night though, wonder what happened to them...

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 9

Post by maverick2076 »

IIRC, the argument is that you are not a manufacturer (you don't pay SOT), you are a maker, and so you cannot swap components/repair yourself. You can find good details and info on this on the forum for SD Tactical Arms. I would advise doing this to try to research your clear answer before you write the ATF. Questions written to the ATF have the potential to get turned into opinion letters that negatively affect a whole bunch of gun owners, i.e. the Sig brace debacle.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 35

Post by The Annoyed Man »

rm9792 wrote:No, I haven't met anyone at ETTS. From my research the maker (manufacturer) can repair a suppressor. I assume that's me. Will be writing the ATF to ask for clarification since I cant get a definite answer one way or another. You can buy pistons and such at a lot of places so I am not sure whats different about that. I know the tube is serialed but the other parts aren't. I lost all those replacement baffles last night though, wonder what happened to them...
I just form 4'd another suppressor yesterday, and the guy at The Silencer Shop to,d me that pistons are an over the counter part and not ATF controlled. I bought a Rugged Obsidian 45, which will take a 9mm piston, so I'll have a multi caliber pistol can. In fact, it will suppress a 9mm more effectively than many 9mm cans.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RogueUSMC »

My brother in law bought a SilencerCo suppressor for .308. their website has videos doing tests and found that their .308 suppressor (which you can put a 5.56 cap on) was slightly quieter on the 5.56 platform using the complete .308 unit. Seems like you can run a suppressor for your largest caliber and be good to go on smaller calibers as long as the threads will mate up.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RogueUSMC »

Right but it seems to be moot as the larger endcap works better than the smaller on the smaller platforms...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

RogueUSMC wrote:My brother in law bought a SilencerCo suppressor for .308. their website has videos doing tests and found that their .308 suppressor (which you can put a 5.56 cap on) was slightly quieter on the 5.56 platform using the complete .308 unit. Seems like you can run a suppressor for your largest caliber and be good to go on smaller calibers as long as the threads will mate up.

:iagree:

I have a .45 can that I run on 9mm as well with a piston change, and a .308 that performs nicely on my 5.56 with no change required at all.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 31

Post by der Teufel »

der Teufel wrote:I submitted paperwork in mid-May, and my check to BATFE has cleared the bank, so I thought I'd call and just verify that there weren't any known issues. Actually, the guy on the phone couldn't tell me anything except that they're now beginning to process applications submitted in mid-March, and that the current processing time is six months.

Guess I'll just have to be patient for (quite) a while longer.
--
AndyC wrote:Sounds like it'll be a nice Christmas present, though :)

Prophetic. Current data indicates that Form 1 paperwork submitted in February is now being approved. I'm hoping that I'm not going to be caught in a 'last-minute' surge before the rules change that will extend the processing time beyond Christmas. (sigh)

OTOH, I went ahead and ordered most of the parts I'll need to eventually put it together. That stuff should begin arriving by the end of this week.

Hey, I have an idea for stimulating the economy — let's take suppressors off of the NFA list! :anamatedbanana :cheers2: :hurry:
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

der Teufel wrote:
der Teufel wrote:I submitted paperwork in mid-May, and my check to BATFE has cleared the bank, so I thought I'd call and just verify that there weren't any known issues. Actually, the guy on the phone couldn't tell me anything except that they're now beginning to process applications submitted in mid-March, and that the current processing time is six months.

Guess I'll just have to be patient for (quite) a while longer.
--
AndyC wrote:Sounds like it'll be a nice Christmas present, though :)

Prophetic. Current data indicates that Form 1 paperwork submitted in February is now being approved. I'm hoping that I'm not going to be caught in a 'last-minute' surge before the rules change that will extend the processing time beyond Christmas. (sigh)

OTOH, I went ahead and ordered most of the parts I'll need to eventually put it together. That stuff should begin arriving by the end of this week.

Hey, I have an idea for stimulating the economy — let's take suppressors off of the NFA list! :anamatedbanana :cheers2: :hurry:

They should never have been on there in the first place, can you name anyone ever killed by a suppressor? They may have burned a hand if they were not smart enough not to grab it.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”