Recommend 10/22 open sight upgrade

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Recommend 10/22 open sight upgrade

Post by Scott B. »

There are a ton of replacement sight options for the 10/22. What do you recommend, brand and model wise? I'm not opposed to a peep sight setup, but it's not my first instinct for this rifle.

Appreciate your feedback!

Site note: first modification is going to be the bolt release. Seems like the Volquartsen Automatic Bolt Release is a pretty easy choice? Learned this weekend that the stock bolt release is hoooooorible. Least on my rifle, terribly unreliable. It was the last thing I wanted to be fussing with when I needed to be focused on shooting.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Recommend 10/22 open sight upgrade

Post by cyphertext »

Why buy a bolt release when just a few minutes with a Dremel can give you the same effect with your stock piece?

As far as open sights, I put a set of Tech-Sights on mine. Highly recommended by Appleseed shooters.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

cyphertext wrote:Why buy a bolt release when just a few minutes with a Dremel can give you the same effect with your stock piece?

As far as open sights, I put a set of Tech-Sights on mine. Highly recommended by Appleseed shooters.
:iagree: I've got Tech Sights on one and a Mueller scope on the heavy barreled other one.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Tech SIghts are great, as are the Nodak Spud sights. Each of these provides a much greater sight radius. I went with the Nodak setup that includes a Picatinny rail for ease of optic mounting as well when I want to use one.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

cyphertext wrote:Why buy a bolt release when just a few minutes with a Dremel can give you the same effect with your stock piece?
I've been known to break out a Dremel, but never on something related to the action. Granted, this is a pretty stupid simple part. If it was a rifle that only I would be using, I'd consider doing it. Part's only $11, call it peace of mind money.

That's for all the suggestions. The pic rail option is a nice solution, but I think I want to leave this rifle iron sites only. If I had the rail...not sure I could resist the temptation. ;-)

10/22 upgrades is a terribly distracting hole to climb down into on a Sunday night. For example, that Magpul Hunter X-22 chassis looks kind of slick...place your credit card out of reach and back slowly away from the computer....

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JALLEN »

Scott B. wrote:
10/22 upgrades is a terribly distracting hole to climb down into on a Sunday night. For example, that Magpul Hunter X-22 chassis looks kind of slick...place your credit card out of reach and back slowly away from the computer....
Isn't that the truth?

There are such a bewildering variety of upgrades, changes, improvements, it is quite impossible to think about them all, or even know what they all are. A variety of stocks in all shapes, materials and colors, and barrels, too, triggers, sights, the list seems endless.

I went into New Braunfels for the gun show the other weekend. The thing that surprised me the most was that very little was being shown for 1022 mods. The gun show in Del Mar (San Diego) used to have hundreds of them.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Scott B. wrote:Part's only $11, call it peace of mind money.
Guess I am cheap. :smilelol5: When I did mine, $11 was a brick of .22lr! Plus, I figured I already had the part on hand and if I hosed it up, a replacement part was cheap enough.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

I'm going to throw this out there, even though you've pretty much ruled it out.

I like the Williams Ace in the Hole sights.

They give you a peep sight with a fiber optic front blade, and still have a picatinny rail for scope mounting. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Spent a lot of time looking at sights today.

The more I looked at them, I really started to like the Nodak Spud sights, but my eyes definitely need more help than the standard front sight post.

So reversing my original intent, I went with the Williams Ace In the Hole Sight, but without the pic rail. Had to draw the line somewhere.

Also ordered an upgraded bolt release, BUT, after tearing that thing down this afternoon, cleaning, and reassembling...danged if the stock bolt release didn't start working fairly reliably. Hopefully, the replacement will exceed 'fairly'.

I may be on to charging handles next. They're a lot cheaper than a new chassis. :thumbs2:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Don't forget a recoil buffer.

There is a steel pin at the rear of the action which the rear of the bolt slams into with every round fired. The recoil buffer replaces this steel pin with a polymer pin which will provide more cushion for the bolt instead of metal-to-metal contact.

Its easy to install. With the action removed from the stock, just slide the old pin out an slide the recoil buffer in.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Scott B. wrote:Spent a lot of time looking at sights today.
{snip}
I may be on to charging handles next. They're a lot cheaper than a new chassis. :thumbs2:
An empty 9x19mm casing works well as a charging handle....for me.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Pawpaw wrote:Don't forget a recoil buffer.
Good point, but I can't just buy the buffer. The box would be so lonely. It's completely reasonable to throw in a Walnut 10/22 Deluxe Sporter stock with that, right? :biggrinjester:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Scott B. wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:Don't forget a recoil buffer.
Good point, but I can't just buy the buffer. The box would be so lonely. It's completely reasonable to throw in a Walnut 10/22 Deluxe Sporter stock with that, right? :biggrinjester:
I like the way you think! :lol:

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”