Texas Black Rifle Company Brand- 1836

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
GeorgetownJD
Posts in topic: 4

Texas Black Rifle Company Brand- 1836

Post by GeorgetownJD »

Does anyone here have one? Planning to buy an AR15 (Not equipped to build one) and have been researching for some time. Have looked at the Higher End M&P's, the Colt LE6920 and CMMG MK4 T but after checking out the TBRC rifle today, I fell in love a bit. Looking to see if anyone here has experience with them, their thoughts about the others listed above and if this is a good rifle in the $800 - $1100 range. I welcome any thoughts and input.

I plan to use this for home defence, hog/coyote hunting, range shooting, etc. will not be gun to hide away in a gun safe.

Apologies if this topic has been covered. Spent the last hour searching on here but the key words "Texas" "Black" "Rifle" "1836" all return thousands of results :)
Last edited by GeorgetownJD on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
GeorgetownJD

Re: Texas Black Rifle Company - 1836

Post by GeorgetownJD »

AndyC wrote:This one? https://tbrci.com/product/tbrci-model-1836-ar-15-rifle/

Looks like a heck of a rifle - can't say I know them, but others could chime in.
Yes, that is the one! Really tempted to "pull the trigger".
Last edited by GeorgetownJD on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuck j
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chuck j »

I have many 'black' rifles !

J P Gunstocks 54 cal Lancaster .

Mowery , made in Texas lockbox , styled after an Ethan Allen original .

rginal

Just jokin !

Jago668
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jago668 »

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y

I got this one and really enjoy it. Not the specific one you talked about, but you mentioned higher end S&W ones. I will say if you get it, take the screws out for the free float rail and put some loctite on them. Other than that, zero hiccups.
NRA Benefactor Member

SigM4
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Texas Black Rifle Company Brand- 1836

Post by SigM4 »

Just my $0.02, if this is going to be your first (and possibly only) AR, stick to a company with an established reputation. Especially right now, you can pick up a Colt 6920 (a benchmark for the category) for a very reasonable price; saw them recently for $799. Not to say that this company is bad, they may very well be a superior product, just not enough data out there to know one way or the other right now. Again, just my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Topic author
GeorgetownJD

Post by GeorgetownJD »

SigM4 wrote:Just my $0.02, if this is going to be your first (and possibly only) AR, stick to a company with an established reputation. Especially right now, you can pick up a Colt 6920 (a benchmark for the category) for a very reasonable price; saw them recently for $799. Not to say that this company is bad, they may very well be a superior product, just not enough data out there to know one way or the other right now. Again, just my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Thanks SigM4. I really like the LE6920. Where did you see it for $799? I thought about getting the OEM2 and just finishing the build.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

GeorgetownJD wrote:
Thanks SigM4. I really like the LE6920. Where did you see it for $799? I thought about getting the OEM2 and just finishing the build.
CDNN had them not long ago for $799. I know I also saw it somewhere else for that price, but I can't for the life of me remember. I'm willing to bet we'll see that price pop up again before long. Regardless I think you're probably on the right track with the OEM2. Buying a complete rifle is a good way to go if it comes with the the exact features you want. But then, where's the fun in that? Going the OEM2 route at least you can save a little $ up front and then put on the stock, rail, sights, etc. on it that you want without spending the money for parts you'll just take off later (which will undoubtedly end up taking up space and collecting dust in a box in a closet somewhere, we've all got that random parts box around somewhere don't we).

Rayden

Post by Rayden »

14.5" barrel, $200 stamp needed on this right?
Jago668 wrote:http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y

I got this one and really enjoy it. Not the specific one you talked about, but you mentioned higher end S&W ones. I will say if you get it, take the screws out for the free float rail and put some loctite on them. Other than that, zero hiccups.

KHickam

Post by KHickam »

GeorgetownJD wrote:
SigM4 wrote:Just my $0.02, if this is going to be your first (and possibly only) AR, stick to a company with an established reputation. Especially right now, you can pick up a Colt 6920 (a benchmark for the category) for a very reasonable price; saw them recently for $799. Not to say that this company is bad, they may very well be a superior product, just not enough data out there to know one way or the other right now. Again, just my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Fun Guns in Waco has them in MOE for around that
"Be strong, be of good courage, God Bless America, Long live the Republic." SootchOO

Jago668
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jago668 »

Rayden wrote:14.5" barrel, $200 stamp needed on this right?
Jago668 wrote:http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y

No it has a pinned and welded flash suppressor making it 16". Since it is permanently stuck on there it doesn't count as an sbr.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
GeorgetownJD

Post by GeorgetownJD »

Thank you all for your input on this and and all of the other AR posts. In light of yet another push of gun control discussions - I decided to "pull the trigger" and purchased a Colt LE6920 OEM1 and I added a set of Magpul Furniture:

- Enhanced Aluminum Trigger Guard
- CTR Carbine Stock
- SL Carine length Handguard
- Flip-up rear sight
- Flashlight and rail on the way.
-Aimpoint Reflex Sight on the way.
Attachments
Colt LE6920 OEM1 with Magpul Furniture Set
Colt LE6920 OEM1 with Magpul Furniture Set

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Very nice, I think you'll enjoy it.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

A gun manufacturer in Shiner? Now I have 2 reasons to go through there! :cheers2: :txflag:
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”