School me on the AR15 pistol

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

74novaman
Posts in topic: 3

Re: School me on the AR15 pistol

Post by 74novaman »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
carlson1 wrote:I have a Spikes Tactical 10.5" barrel that has the Blade Stabilizer on it. I carry it every time we travel with about 5 - 30 round magazines in the case. I set it in the back seat of the Suburban and it is a comfort to know it is setting there.
I was about to write a Form 1 to SBR my pistol before the Obama OE rules go into effect, but on the other hand, that would limit the ability to take it on driving trips out of state. Any thoughts?

Also, many folks here have stated that the brace is legal which is true, however just to clarify, my understanding is that it is legal as long as you do NOT shoulder it (as you may recall, the ATF kinda reversed their position after some moron asked them that question directly :banghead: ). Now that only matters at some public ranges, not all, and certainly not on private property or in a real self defense situation...
It would make it slightly more difficult, but not impossible. As long as it's a planned trip, file a Form 20 and go on with life.

https://johnpierceesq.com/what-do-i-nee ... nfa-items/
TANSTAAFL

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

74novaman wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
carlson1 wrote:I have a Spikes Tactical 10.5" barrel that has the Blade Stabilizer on it. I carry it every time we travel with about 5 - 30 round magazines in the case. I set it in the back seat of the Suburban and it is a comfort to know it is setting there.
I was about to write a Form 1 to SBR my pistol before the Obama OE rules go into effect, but on the other hand, that would limit the ability to take it on driving trips out of state. Any thoughts?

Also, many folks here have stated that the brace is legal which is true, however just to clarify, my understanding is that it is legal as long as you do NOT shoulder it (as you may recall, the ATF kinda reversed their position after some moron asked them that question directly :banghead: ). Now that only matters at some public ranges, not all, and certainly not on private property or in a real self defense situation...
It would make it slightly more difficult, but not impossible. As long as it's a planned trip, file a Form 20 and go on with life.

https://johnpierceesq.com/what-do-i-nee ... nfa-items/
Thanks for link! Worse case I SBR this pistol and then get another one! :fire
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MadMonkey »

CleverNickname wrote:AR15 pistols are stupid. The AR15 is not designed to be shot as a pistol, and holding the receiver extension up to your face and trying to "shoulder" the pistol without a stock is an exercise in frustration. Either build a title I rifle or register the gun as an SBR if you really want a short barrel.
Perhaps they're stupid... to you...

Here's one of mine.

That one is .300BLK. I have a 5.56 I'm about to convert to 300 as well.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CleverNickname »

MadMonkey wrote: Perhaps they're stupid... to you...
AR pistols are objectively inferior to an AR with a shoulder stock, from a shooting standpoint, which is what my previous comments covered. If there were no NFA, who would bother with arm braces or stockless buffer tubes? No one. How do I know? Because no one uses arm braces or stockless buffer tubes with >16" barreled >26" OAL ARs which have no legal restriction on using shoulder stocks.

I can understand not wanting to bother with the additional legal restrictions the NFA imposes. But that has nothing to do with the fact that a shoulder stock is vital to shooting a long gun effectively.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

CleverNickname wrote:
MadMonkey wrote: Perhaps they're stupid... to you...
AR pistols are objectively inferior to an AR with a shoulder stock, from a shooting standpoint, which is what my previous comments covered. If there were no NFA, who would bother with arm braces or stockless buffer tubes? No one. How do I know? Because no one uses arm braces or stockless buffer tubes with >16" barreled >26" OAL ARs which have no legal restriction on using shoulder stocks.

I can understand not wanting to bother with the additional legal restrictions the NFA imposes. But that has nothing to do with the fact that a shoulder stock is vital to shooting a long gun effectively.
And yet there are those of us who manage to be effective with braces, bare buffer tubes or saddles (shown mounted on mine) ;-)

Inferior for long range shooting? Arguable. Inferior for home defense in a small house like mine? Doubtful. It's smaller, lighter, and easier to maneuver than my regular 16" ARs, but still has the same capacity, ease of accurate shot placement and capability for fast followup shots.

The reality is that we do have NFA regulations so we use what we have available. And I would recommend that you try setups like this at the range before you spout generalizations that they're all inferior... they might be for you, but some of us actually shoot them pretty well :thumbs2: There's a reason I've chosen these for home defense use.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CleverNickname »

I've shot other people's arm-braced pistols, and while they're not completely terrible, they are inferior.

I suggest you try registering a rifle as an SBR before you eliminate that as a possibility. It's really not that complicated.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Advantage of pistol + LTC = Gun Free School Zones Act does not apply. Keep loaded in vehicle without worry (as long as you have your license). SBR loaded in car + drive through school zone = breaking federal law.

I have a 10.5" SBR and 10.5" pistol with sig brace, so I understand the merits of both. I did not build the pistol with the intention to shoulder it. During an emergency, however, it may unintentionally happen, but at that point, the ATF would be the least of my worries, as I would be fighting for my life.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

sheary
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sheary »

CleverNickname wrote:Sorry, an AR15 pistol is just not a good choice. A shoulder stock is necessary to shoot a rifle effectively.
A rifle should be chambered in a caliber like .30-06 or at least .308 to be most effective.

The Dude
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Dude »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Folks that have AR-15 pistols need to remember that all laws applicable to handguns apply to those guns. That means it must be either concealed, or carried openly in a belt holster (good luck!) or a shoulder holster. A shoulder harness with the gun hanging on a lanyard may suffice as a shoulder holster.
Has anybody tried the SARRP holster?

ABIDE

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”