AR 15 22 conversion

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
stone
Posts in topic: 1

AR 15 22 conversion

Post by stone »

I have the 22 Cal conversion and, for some reason I cannot sight this thing in at over 20 feet? Any ideas? I've used federal, CCI and others but no luck?
Since I'm 67 and a little shaky, I piled stuff on it to make it stable when firing, but no luck. Wondering what the deal is?

Pawpaw

Re: AR 15 22 conversion

Post by Pawpaw »

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the bullet is being spun too fast. A Ruger 10/22 barrel has a 1 in 16" twist. My AR15 has a 1 in 7" twist. That's over double the twist rate.

I considered a .22 conversion, but could not find a definitive answer about the effect of so grossly over spinning the bullet. Instead, I bought a 10/22 Takedown. I like it so much I also bought the 50th anniversary 10/22.
Last edited by Pawpaw on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

loktite

Post by loktite »

The twist rate was one of the main causes I saw people list for inaccuracy. 36gr Copper was recommended.

Seems a lot of people have taken this route too : get conversion kit, get tired of fouling of upper and accuracy issues, decide to get dedicated upper for it. Soon after, decide to get dedicated lower, thus building a dedicated 22lr ar-15 .
NRA Endowment Member

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

loktite wrote: Seems a lot of people have taken this route too : get conversion kit, get tired of fouling of upper and accuracy issues, decide to get dedicated upper for it.
I tried to learn from these folks and just cut out the conversion kit altogether. Instead I opted for a dedicated upper for my SBR'd lower. The Nordic Components upper I ended up purchasing has been awesome. I took advantage of their Black Friday sale to pick one up. If you keep your eye on them they seem to go on sale occasionally for ~$100 off list price. Very pleased with the quality and robustness of the upper, especially for the price as compared to say the CMMG or Tactical Solutions uppers (both of which are very nice, though I've only been told that of the Tactical Solutions uppers as I've never played with one, yet).

No matter what the choice, as others have already noted, the dedicated upper route is the way to go.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

I have a Spikes .22 upper.

It is decently accurate, decently reliable, but no sniper rifle. It is short barrel with the flash hider making it legal. One fellow I have read posts from elsewhere claims he can put 10 rounds in a single hole at 25 yards with a similar rifle, S&W
I think. I've never seen him do it, maybe he can.

I've never seen or heard of anyone using AR-22s of whatever configuration for benchrest matches. If they were as accurate as this fellow claims, they would be so used.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

JALLEN wrote:I've never seen or heard of anyone using AR-22s of whatever configuration for benchrest matches. If they were as accurate as this fellow claims, they would be so used.
:iagree:
This!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

n5wd wrote:
JALLEN wrote:I've never seen or heard of anyone using AR-22s of whatever configuration for benchrest matches. If they were as accurate as this fellow claims, they would be so used.
This!

Honestly, I have never been able to understand the attraction of a .22 AR. :headscratch

To each his own I reckon...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Honestly, I have never been able to understand the attraction of a .22 AR. :headscratch

In California, where I then lived, it was a felony to have a lower and a centerfire upper without a bullet button, even if not hooked together. I had a M-4gery with a bullet button (since removed), so I got this rimfire upper. It's fun and used to be cheap to shoot when you could amble into a Walmart and buy a bulk pack for $7-8.

I don't think there is a serious use for it particularly. Nothing a 1022 or similar wouldn't handle as well cheaper.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

Bitter Clinger wrote:

Pure plinking fun, no other reason needed.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

stroo

Post by stroo »

My first experiance with my 22 conversion kit was on a 50 yard range. I couldn't hit the side of a barn. Couln't even tell in which direction I was missing the target. Then I tried it at my indoor range at 20 yards. It still wasn't nearly as accurate as with .223 but at least I hit close to where I was aiming. So at that range it at least is still useful for training. Won't go 50 yards again.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cyphertext »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
n5wd wrote:
This!

When .22lr was $.03 per round and plentiful, and 5.56mm was $.40 per round... There was a great reason to be interested in a .22lr AR. If you had a .22lr dedicated upper built to match your 5.56mm upper, you could put it on your lower and get the same weight and trigger pull. Perfect for practice.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

cyphertext wrote:
When .22lr was $.03 per round and plentiful, and 5.56mm was $.40 per round... There was a great reason to be interested in a .22lr AR. If you had a .22lr dedicated upper built to match your 5.56mm upper, you could put it on your lower and get the same weight and trigger pull. Perfect for practice.
So now that .22LR is becoming more available, at ~.10 a round, what is 5.56 going for?

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

cyphertext wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
n5wd wrote:
This!

It's still more than 5 times less expensive to shoot 22 LR. And shooting AR style with a 50 round drum is a blast.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

JALLEN wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
So now that .22LR is becoming more available, at ~.10 a round, what is 5.56 going for?
The 1,000 rounds I bought two weeks ago cost me 5 cents a round. The cheapest 5.56 I saw at Academy yesterday was 100 rounds for $40...so 40 cents a round.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

I had a CMMG conversion bolt at one time. It worked flawlessly and was accurate enough for plinking.

I sold it for three reasons:
- It made my AR REALLY dirty, gunk down the in lower as well. 22lr is dirty stuff.
- I had to sight it in for either 22lr or .223. 22lr shot low to the left at 25-50 yards.
- It blew gases and little bits of debris back in my face. With every dirty shot, gasses with little pieces of 22lr debris would blow back in my face and feel like a bunch of little needles on my cheek. It didn't hurt, just annoying.

I've also read of stories where the gas tube was completely blocked with gunk from shooting 22lr.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”