AR 15 22 conversion

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 5

Re: AR 15 22 conversion

Post by cyphertext »

VMI77 wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
n5wd wrote:
JALLEN wrote:I've never seen or heard of anyone using AR-22s of whatever configuration for benchrest matches. If they were as accurate as this fellow claims, they would be so used.
:iagree:
This!

Honestly, I have never been able to understand the attraction of a .22 AR. :headscratch

To each his own I reckon...
When .22lr was $.03 per round and plentiful, and 5.56mm was $.40 per round... There was a great reason to be interested in a .22lr AR. If you had a .22lr dedicated upper built to match your 5.56mm upper, you could put it on your lower and get the same weight and trigger pull. Perfect for practice.
It's still more than 5 times less expensive to shoot 22 LR. And shooting AR style with a 50 round drum is a blast.
Yep! :iagree: I still find .22lr for $.05 per round or less, so it is still much cheaper to shoot my .22lr.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

txcharvel wrote:I had a CMMG conversion bolt at one time. It worked flawlessly and was accurate enough for plinking.

I sold it for three reasons:
- It made my AR REALLY dirty, gunk down the in lower as well. 22lr is dirty stuff.
- I had to sight it in for either 22lr or .223. 22lr shot low to the left at 25-50 yards.
- It blew gases and little bits of debris back in my face. With every dirty shot, gasses with little pieces of 22lr debris would blow back in my face and feel like a bunch of little needles on my cheek. It didn't hurt, just annoying.

I've also read of stories where the gas tube was completely blocked with gunk from shooting 22lr.
The above is why I recommend a dedicated upper at minimum. I have a complete rifle, set up for just .22lr, and I bought my son the M&P 15-22.

If you were getting gasses and debris blown back into your face, there was something wrong. Perhaps it was firing out of battery?

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

txcharvel wrote:I had a CMMG conversion bolt at one time. It worked flawlessly and was accurate enough for plinking.

I sold it for three reasons:
- It made my AR REALLY dirty, gunk down the in lower as well. 22lr is dirty stuff.
- I had to sight it in for either 22lr or .223. 22lr shot low to the left at 25-50 yards.
- It blew gases and little bits of debris back in my face. With every dirty shot, gasses with little pieces of 22lr debris would blow back in my face and feel like a bunch of little needles on my cheek. It didn't hurt, just annoying.

I've also read of stories where the gas tube was completely blocked with gunk from shooting 22lr.
Those are all good reasons to get something like the M&P 15-22.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

VMI77 wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
When .22lr was $.03 per round and plentiful, and 5.56mm was $.40 per round... There was a great reason to be interested in a .22lr AR. If you had a .22lr dedicated upper built to match your 5.56mm upper, you could put it on your lower and get the same weight and trigger pull. Perfect for practice.
So now that .22LR is becoming more available, at ~.10 a round, what is 5.56 going for?
The 1,000 rounds I bought two weeks ago cost me 5 cents a round. The cheapest 5.56 I saw at Academy yesterday was 100 rounds for $40...so 40 cents a round.
You can buy Wolf on-line for ~$0.25 but I will not put that steel cased ammo in my rifle. Good brass ammo, like Federal or IMI still ~$0.34 on-line.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
So now that .22LR is becoming more available, at ~.10 a round, what is 5.56 going for?
The 1,000 rounds I bought two weeks ago cost me 5 cents a round. The cheapest 5.56 I saw at Academy yesterday was 100 rounds for $40...so 40 cents a round.
You can buy Wolf on-line for ~$0.25 but I will not put that steel cased ammo in my rifle. Good brass ammo, like Federal or IMI still ~$0.34 on-line.
I have one rifle that straight up won't cycle steel cased ammo so I never buy it anymore. It will cycle if I pause long enough between shots so what I have left I've been using when I need to sight something in. Haven't had problems with steel case in anything else.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
So I can still shoot .22lr cheaper! And all steel cased ammo is not equal. I use the Hornady Steel Match in my AR quite often with no issues.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

cyphertext wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
So I can still shoot .22lr cheaper! And all steel cased ammo is not equal. I use the Hornady Steel Match in my AR quite often with no issues.
I haven't tried the Hornady but I don't think I've seen it at the store any cheaper than the cheaper brass. One afternoon at the range spent trying to remove a stuck casing evaporated all interest I had in steel cases for an AR15. I still buy and use it for other guns.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

cyphertext wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Honady Steel match ~$0.36 on-line. Why bother?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Honady Steel match ~$0.36 on-line. Why bother?
Because the range I shoot at doesn't allow FMJ, and the Hornady Steel match was cheaper than comparable loads in brass.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”