IS THERE A CURE FOR A SCOPE THAT MOVES ?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Surgeon
Posts in topic: 5

IS THERE A CURE FOR A SCOPE THAT MOVES ?

Post by Surgeon »

So here's the deal; I have a Remington 700 in .300 win mag and I mounted a Leatherwood scope. Took it the range and sent about 10 rounds down range and noticed the scope had "moved" forward in the rings almost 1/2 inch. Before you ask, yes I tightened the set screws, added locktight and the rings are made for this rifle. No, I haven't lapped the rings...yet.
I've run across this before with my .308 and a Leatherwood scope mounted on it. The scope is great and gives me sub MOA grouping at 100 yards.

I have a 30.06 and never had this problem (different brand of scope), Mosin, Mauser and never had any problems like this before.
Any thoughts?
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: IS THERE A CURE FOR A SCOPE THAT MOVES ?

Post by WildBill »

Surgeon wrote:So here's the deal; I have a Remington 700 in .300 win mag and I mounted a Leatherwood scope. Took it the range and sent about 10 rounds down range and noticed the scope had "moved" forward in the rings almost 1/2 inch. Before you ask, yes I tightened the set screws, added locktight and the rings are made for this rifle. No, I haven't lapped the rings...yet.
I've run across this before with my .308 and a Leatherwood scope mounted on it. The scope is great and gives me sub MOA grouping at 100 yards.

I have a 30.06 and never had this problem (different brand of scope), Mosin, Mauser and never had any problems like this before.
Any thoughts?
Maybe the mounts are too high for a .300 Win Mag.
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Surgeon wrote:So here's the deal; I have a Remington 700 in .300 win mag and I mounted a Leatherwood scope. Took it the range and sent about 10 rounds down range and noticed the scope had "moved" forward in the rings almost 1/2 inch. Before you ask, yes I tightened the set screws, added locktight and the rings are made for this rifle. No, I haven't lapped the rings...yet.

Any thoughts?
My guess would be that either this individual scope's tube diameter is on the small side of manufacturing tolerances, or the rings are on the large size of tolerances.......or both. But also, it's a .300 Win Mag, for crying out loud. That is a substantial amount of recoil more than a .30-06, 7.62x54R, or 8x57mm. It may be that your choice of rings just aren't up to it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

WildBill wrote:

Any thoughts?
Maybe the mounts are too high for a .300 Win Mag.
Well, on the package they are listed as "High" scope mounts. Figures....... :banghead:
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

Topic author
Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Any thoughts?
My guess would be that either this individual scope's tube diameter is on the small side of manufacturing tolerances, or the rings are on the large size of tolerances.......or both. But also, it's a .300 Win Mag, for crying out loud. That is a substantial amount of recoil more than a .30-06, 7.62x54R, or 8x57mm. It may be that your choice of rings just aren't up to it.
I'm at a loss and considering some brass shim stock. And yeah, you're right about the recoil. I might just swap out a different scope and see what happens. This really has me scratching my head. :banghead:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

AndyC wrote:Lapping is mean to to solve this type of problem, but you could also rosin inside the rings.

In a pinch you could perhaps move the front ring so that it abuts against the central assembly of the scope or a single wrap of 3M tape over the tube and under each ring.
I was also thinking about the tape idea. Something to put an extra fraction of a millimeter of thickness to the scope. Double sided tape might be even better.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Burris makes shims but I would try different rings if you don't have a good set (like Talley, Nightforce, Leupold MK4 etc.). I have never had rings move on any of my rifles, even my 500 S&W rifle broke the front handguard off but the scope never moved.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

I've used plastigauge to insure mount security on heavy recoil rifles. Absolutely no chance of damage to the tube.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

bayou

Post by bayou »

Slightly off topic but double check your gun didn't have the recall thing with the trigger on it. The recall was about a year or so ago. My dad had to send his back. Remington fixed it pretty quickly. The only reason why I mention this is he was mad because it took him a while to get the scope on and he had to remove it to send the gun in.

boxermoose

Post by boxermoose »

I've always put a strip of fine thin paper in the lower half of each ring - like cigarette roll Ur own paper.

Always worked for me, but I believe the long range revision people would recommend lapping the rings in together using a mandrel and fine grit compound.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I had a La Rue one piece scope mount that had a little movement. I called them and they said if you don't follow the procedure for tightening the mount screws, it will move. You have to tighten the lower screws first. The movement was barely noticeable, but enough to cause the point of impact to drift around the target. This is the mount with the vertical split rings. I mention this just to say you might want to check the instructions the rings came with if there were any.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

MechAg94 wrote:I had a La Rue one piece scope mount that had a little movement. I called them and they said if you don't follow the procedure for tightening the mount screws, it will move. You have to tighten the lower screws first. The movement was barely noticeable, but enough to cause the point of impact to drift around the target. This is the mount with the vertical split rings. I mention this just to say you might want to check the instructions the rings came with if there were any.
:iagree: Very good point. If you don't torque the screws properly you won't get even clamping. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I don't agree with everything here but this guy has some detailed info on scope mounting.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showth ... e+mounting

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”