The Care and feeding of my new Rifle

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

The Care and feeding of my new Rifle

Post by Liberty »

I wrote earlier about how I received a new rifle.. Its a Ruger Gunsite Scout 308 bolt action 308 18" Stainless, It came with a box of Winchester Deer season XPs. I do my shooting at a 100 yd range with the original Iron sites open sites . I don't have any immediate plans on using a scope, although I may add a red dot .. or low power long relief at a later time. My thoughts on Ammo is to use something as general purpose as possible, Cheap and available is a good thing..

Right now I'm cleaning the rifle with a Hoppes kit. It seems to work pretty well, Hoppes solvent is good stuff, but it does seem expencive. I clean my handguns with a bore snake, These are great.. unfortunately 9mm is not the same as 30 cal, How good are these boresnakes on a rifle? I typically shoot less than 10 rounds on each trip to the range. so the gun doesn't get that dirty ..

TIA for any advice
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Beiruty

Re: The Care and feeding of my new Rifle

Post by Beiruty »

Boresnake are meant for rifles. As pistols can be cleaned easily. In the field, couple pass of a clean boresnake and some Rem 40X and your rifle bore is clean.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Shotgun_jeremy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Shotgun_jeremy »

I usually run a dry bore-snake through my rifle every 10 rounds or so while the barrel is still warm. I can always tell a difference between the first pull and second pull.

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I like the boresnakes for pistols, after the range.. they are real fast .. and seem to clean the chamber and most of the ramp with one pass through..

I usually won't fire more than 10 rounds at the range. and will clean them at home along with the hand guns.. The bolt cleans up easy enough, just wipe it down and a little oil. Putting together the rods and multiple swipes with a cloth just doesn't seem to do the job as quickly and thoroughly as a couple swipes as a snake would do. Also is necessary to to leave a coating of oil i the barrel? I always do but stainless is supposed to be resistant..
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Liberty wrote:I like the boresnakes for pistols, after the range.. they are real fast .. and seem to clean the chamber and most of the ramp with one pass through..

I usually won't fire more than 10 rounds at the range. and will clean them at home along with the hand guns.. The bolt cleans up easy enough, just wipe it down and a little oil. Putting together the rods and multiple swipes with a cloth just doesn't seem to do the job as quickly and thoroughly as a couple swipes as a snake would do. Also is necessary to to leave a coating of oil i the barrel? I always do but stainless is supposed to be resistant..
I do spray some Rem Oil down the tube after I am done cleaning.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”