M1 Carbine

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

M1 Carbine

Post by RossA »

Anyone here besides me who uses a carbine for a personal defense rifle?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

WildBill

Re: M1 Carbine

Post by WildBill »

RossA wrote:Anyone here besides me who uses a carbine for a personal defense rifle?
I don't have mine any more, but I think it's a good choice for close quarters.
NRA Endowment Member

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

We have other primary options, but an M1 Carbine is on order from the CMP since they are selling a batch.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Weg

Post by Weg »

I have one as my " truck " gun. I've seen them used on deer and hogs at close range using 110 grain soft points successfully, it's a effective round inside it's intended range.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have one, and it would be a perfectly effective self-defense rifle, provided the right ammunition and quality magazines, but I don't use mine for that. I have a suppressed AR15 which is far more effective and reliable, without being as loud inside a house. But the main reason is that my M1 Carbine has enormous emotional value to me. It's a 1943 Inland in near mint condition with all matching parts, and my dad carried one like it ashore at Iwo Jima. I also have my dad's actual sidearm - a 1943 Ithaca 1911A1 in about 95% condition - which he field stripped and hit the parts in his seabag and trunk before coming home at the end of the war. I would never risk either gun in a self-defense shooting, fearing that even in a righteous shooting there is some probability that the police will take my gun pending a resolution of the case, and these particular guns are collectors items to which I also have a very personal connection. I would never risk their confiscation, unless there were simply no other alternatives.

I have alternatives.

Here's a picture of mine, also showing my dad's 1911:

But all of that said, the M1 Carbine is a perfectly legitimate self-defense/CQB weapon. The ballistics are pretty decent for that purpose. Hornady's Critical Defense 110 grain load delivers 2000 fps and 977 ft-lbs at the muzzle. (http://www.hornady.com/store/30-M1-CARB ... GR-FTX-CD/). I would recommend these for personal defense.

I have the magazines for mine loaded with these. Also, I was given my rifle as a Christmas gift, and it came with a single GI magazine of poor manufacture, the floor plate of which keep sliding off. I ordered 6 more ROK Army surplus mags from CTD, and they are very well made and work reliably. As much as I try to avoid CTD, these mags were of very good quality. (https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product ... y=ourPicks)
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rentz

Post by rentz »

Middle Age Russ wrote:We have other primary options, but an M1 Carbine is on order from the CMP since they are selling a batch.
I'm sad I missed out on that batch, long sold out now

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

My 1944 Winchester stays loaded in the safe, but it would only be used in a pinch, after the Mossberg 930 SPX and Colt AR15 are in use.

Effective? You bet! I would just hate to have to hand it over to the police if I ever used it.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Lena

Post by Lena »

I have a matching Rock Ola and yes I have carried it for defense, I need to go shoot it !
Stay Safe

joe817

Post by joe817 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I have one, and it would be a perfectly effective self-defense rifle, provided the right ammunition and quality magazines, but I don't use mine for that. I have a suppressed AR15 which is far more effective and reliable, without being as loud inside a house. But the main reason is that my M1 Carbine has enormous emotional value to me. It's a 1943 Inland in near mint condition with all matching parts, and my dad carried one like it ashore at Iwo Jima. I also have my dad's actual sidearm - a 1943 Ithaca 1911A1 in about 95% condition - which he field stripped and hit the parts in his seabag and trunk before coming home at the end of the war. I would never risk either gun in a self-defense shooting, fearing that even in a righteous shooting there is some probability that the police will take my gun pending a resolution of the case, and these particular guns are collectors items to which I also have a very personal connection. I would never risk their confiscation, unless there were simply no other alternatives.

I have alternatives.

Here's a picture of mine, also showing my dad's 1911:

But all of that said, the M1 Carbine is a perfectly legitimate self-defense/CQB weapon. The ballistics are pretty decent for that purpose. Hornady's Critical Defense 110 grain load delivers 2000 fps and 977 ft-lbs at the muzzle. (http://www.hornady.com/store/30-M1-CARB ... GR-FTX-CD/). I would recommend these for personal defense.

I have the magazines for mine loaded with these. Also, I was given my rifle as a Christmas gift, and it came with a single GI magazine of poor manufacture, the floor plate of which keep sliding off. I ordered 6 more ROK Army surplus mags from CTD, and they are very well made and work reliably. As much as I try to avoid CTD, these mags were of very good quality. (https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product ... y=ourPicks)
TAM, I'm about to ask a silly question. That M1 carbine is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. In the pic, that's not a bayonet lug is it? Couldn't be...it's to far back. Maybe the case under it just distorts the picture. I bought a CMP M1 carbine back in 1962 from the NRA (?) and it had a bayonet lug. My later investigations led me to believe it was post WWII issue. Just curious as I took it everywhere back in my youth and shoot 1000's of rounds through it.

Sorrrrryyy to hijack the thread! :oops:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

joe817 wrote:TAM, I'm about to ask a silly question. That M1 carbine is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. In the pic, that's not a bayonet lug is it? Couldn't be...it's to far back. Maybe the case under it just distorts the picture. I bought a CMP M1 carbine back in 1962 from the NRA (?) and it had a bayonet lug. My later investigations led me to believe it was post WWII issue. Just curious as I took it everywhere back in my youth and shoot 1000's of rounds through it.

Sorrrrryyy to hijack the thread! :oops:
Sent you a detailed answer by PM so as not to hijack the thread.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”