VEPR 12 Gauge

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 1

VEPR 12 Gauge

Post by jbirds1210 »

Does anyone have experience either good or bad with the AK platform shotgun? I've read from many sources that the VEPR is an improvement over the earlier Saiga model.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Beiruty

Re: VEPR 12 Gauge

Post by Beiruty »

I had Saiga and it gave me tons of trouble cycling with anything less than high-brass. I got all adjustable gas block pucks on the market and none solved the problem.

I have now the VEPR and it is improvement over the Saiga especially the lock open on last rd. It was a struggle to reload with bolt closed.
I did not shot much the VEPR to judge about digesting bird rds.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

karder

Post by karder »

I have a Saiga and I have not had cycling problems with it and I have shot quite a few different types of ammo through it. I consider it a "fun" gun. I enjoy shooting it and it stirs up quite a few conversations on the range. My only gripe is that in my opinion, the AK platform is not ideally suited for a scattergun. From a pure tactical standpoint, I find it too heavy and slow pointing. It is not at the top of my list as a go to shotgun for defensive purposes and is not in my bug out kit, but it is a good conversation piece in the collection. I bought it because I thought it would be fun, and it is.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

karder wrote:My only gripe is that in my opinion, the AK platform is not ideally suited for a scattergun. From a pure tactical standpoint, I find it too heavy and slow pointing.
That may be true, but it takes me 5 minutes to reload my Remington 1100 because if I slip up and don't fully insert the cartridge past that little catchy thing, the magazine spring pushes it into a funny place and I have to disassemble the gun to unjam it. Maybe on other SA or pump-action shotguns, that's not a problem, but it's really soured me on non-box-magazine-fed guns for pretty much anything other than fun at the range.

Anyway, the point is that whatever the tactical shortcomings of AK-based shotguns may be (and I'm not disputing them), I don't really care that much because, AFAIK, they're the only viable easy-to-reload (for me) shotguns.

If only they didn't cost so much, I'd get one.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Dave2 wrote:
karder wrote:My only gripe is that in my opinion, the AK platform is not ideally suited for a scattergun. From a pure tactical standpoint, I find it too heavy and slow pointing.
That may be true, but it takes me 5 minutes to reload my Remington 1100 because if I slip up and don't fully insert the cartridge past that little catchy thing, the magazine spring pushes it into a funny place and I have to disassemble the gun to unjam it. Maybe on other SA or pump-action shotguns, that's not a problem, but it's really soured me on non-box-magazine-fed guns for pretty much anything other than fun at the range.

Anyway, the point is that whatever the tactical shortcomings of AK-based shotguns may be (and I'm not disputing them), I don't really care that much because, AFAIK, they're the only viable easy-to-reload (for me) shotguns.

For sure ammunition management is the key to running a shotgun, but I own 3 1100's, a tactical, a trap gun, and a SBS, and have NEVER experienced the issue you reported after many thousands of rounds. For me the 1100 platform is a winner, and outperforms manual actions.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Lena

Post by Lena »

I have shot on squads with 2 of them, very ammo sensitive mag fell out of one, I shoot an FN and 5 years of shooting not 1 problem.
Stay Safe

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Dave2 wrote:

For sure ammunition management is the key to running a shotgun, but I own 3 1100's, a tactical, a trap gun, and a SBS, and have NEVER experienced the issue you reported after many thousands of rounds. For me the 1100 platform is a winner, and outperforms manual actions.
Oh? Maybe there's something wrong with mine... As soon as the cartridge clears the flappy bit, its spring tries to push it back down, but I still have to push the cartridge another 1/4-1/2 inch before it clears the catch. If I don't, the mag spring wedges the cartridge between the flappy bit and the bolt. I'm going to try to make the next DFW get-together... If I remember, I'll bring it and show you what I'm talking about.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Dave2 wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
Dave2 wrote:

Oh? Maybe there's something wrong with mine... As soon as the cartridge clears the flappy bit, its spring tries to push it back down, but I still have to push the cartridge another 1/4-1/2 inch before it clears the catch. If I don't, the mag spring wedges the cartridge between the flappy bit and the bolt. I'm going to try to make the next DFW get-together... If I remember, I'll bring it and show you what I'm talking about.
Can also meet sometime at DFW Gun or Elm Fork, they both allow tactical shotgun.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

You might also wish to consider this training in McKinney next weekend:

http://txconcealedcarry.com/class-schedule-2/

Defensive Shotgun 1
Class Dates: Sunday 3-6-16
Class Times: 8:00AM to 6:00PM
Class Locations:
Classes held at Yeager Office Suites 6401 W. Eldorado Parkway McKinney, TX 75070
Class Price: $195 ($40.00 deposit to reserve spot)

:fire
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Dave2 wrote:Oh? Maybe there's something wrong with mine... As soon as the cartridge clears the flappy bit, its spring tries to push it back down, but I still have to push the cartridge another 1/4-1/2 inch before it clears the catch. If I don't, the mag spring wedges the cartridge between the flappy bit and the bolt. I'm going to try to make the next DFW get-together... If I remember, I'll bring it and show you what I'm talking about.
No, there''s nothing wrong with it... it's just a training issue. BTW, your "flappy bit" is called the "lifter" or "elevator" - your choice.

What you need to do is hold the shell in your hand with your thumb bent so the end of your thumb is against the brass end. Place the round in the loading port and push down on it with the palm of your hand, then push the shell into the mag tube with authority. Pushing with the end of your thumb will do two things: 1) It will make it easier and faster to push the round into the mag tube and past the shell stop, so it won't spring back. 2) Having your thumb bent will cause your knuckle to ride against the elevator, holding it down and preventing your thumb from getting caught between the elevator and the mag tube (ouch!).

Or you could change to a Mossberg pump action (500, 590, etc.). When the bolt is closed on those shotguns, the elevator is in the up position and acts like a "funnel" to guide the shell into the mag tube. If, by chance, you don't push it past the catch, it just springs back into the loading port, ready for you to try again. Of course, then you'll need practice to become proficient in the operation of a pump shotgun. :mrgreen:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Lena

Post by Lena »

sounds just like an 1100, just practice with it, yes we need another get to gather / BBQ meal. Just say when.
Stay Safe

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”