Sling attachment points

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 4

Sling attachment points

Post by baldeagle »

I've decided to get a VCAS sling for my AR. My problem is, I don't understand the various attachment systems. Can somebody explain that to me? I know the rear attachment point is the loop at the end of the buttstock, which I have on mine, but I don't have a front attachment point. What should I get?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
baldeagle

Re: Sling attachment points

Post by baldeagle »

Dang. No one has any advice? Andy? TAM?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

What kind of rails do you have on yours?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Serving suggestion only. I personally use the single attachment point behind the pistol grip.

tyree

Post by tyree »

baldeagle wrote:I've decided to get a VCAS sling for my AR. My problem is, I don't understand the various attachment systems. Can somebody explain that to me? I know the rear attachment point is the loop at the end of the buttstock, which I have on mine, but I don't have a front attachment point. What should I get?
You have quite a few options to attach this sling. A lot of the decision is just personal preference, but of course there are some choices that would be more conducive to success for whatever application you'll be using your rifle for.

Here's a short answer:
Buy and secure a sling point adapter that fits your handguard style (picatinny, keymod, m-lok/magpul, some proprietary style like older daniel defense) and supports just looping the sling through a hole.

Here's a longer answer:
[*]Figure out what kind of attachment you want to make (direct attach sling through a hole, clip, quick detach sling swivel, etc.)
[*]Figure out what kind of handguard style you have and buy a sling point that will affix to that handguard.
[*]Figure out how you intend to use the sling so you have a better idea where you may want to place the sling attachment(s) [you may want to spend some time watching some people you respect show you their sling usage techniques for the types of activities you intend to use your rifle for.]

Front attachment areas
1. dedicated sling point under the front sight base (your rifle may not have this)
2. any spot on the handguard that has an attachment point milled into it (ex. little holes for a sling swivel) [again, you may not have this]
3. any spot on the handguard that will accept a sling point adapter.
(lots of brands and styles of adapters are made for picatinny, keymod, m-lok/magpul)

Rear attachment areas:
1. the end plate where the buffer tube attaches (standard endplates with no attachment can be swapped out for one with various mounting surfaces)
2. the end of the buttstock (it sounds like you have this on your rifle)

Using the phrase "ar sling mount" in your favorite search engine will provide hours worth of images and videos to peruse.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Check out Magpul. I use their stuff for slings and attachments. There are lots of options out there. Try Googling Ar15 slings and attachments.

https://www.magpul.com/

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

There are a lot of answers to this question, depending on the gun, and the owner. AR's come in many different configurations. Owners come with lots of different preferences.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

This is my fore-end. As you can see, there's nothing to attach to except the small picatinny rail toward the front of the barrel.
Shot of my fore-end
Shot of my fore-end

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

That type of foregrip limits your options. If you're not using the gas block, pic rail section, there are some options.

Magpul MAG337 might work. It's a QD mount. MAG502 is the clip on mount version.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Dude, sorry I just saw this post. :oops:

I like and use the QD mounts for my slings on my ARs. Here's what I bought for my latest build (the one you saw on that range day):

Here is the VCAS sling I bought
https://www.blueforcegear.com/padded-vickers-sling

Here are the sling swivels I bought (x2)
https://www.blueforcegear.com/push-butt ... wivel.html

My Battlelink Minimalist buttstock already has the QD attachment point built in. I have a Rainier Arms/Samson Keymod rail. I bought two Keymod QD attachment points from Bravo Company and mounted them at both the near and far end of the right side of the rail (mount on the left-side, if you're right handed).
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFI ... m-kmsm.htm
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

TAM,

I guess it would be too easy if their slide show had something helpful like--labels.

What's the specific version of the pictured sling? I know it's one of their Kryptec versions, is it the Highlander or the Typhoon? That black/blue Kryptec would look real good with my stealth grey SBR.

I had accidentally purchased a Coyote Brown version of one of their slings with the Rapid Emergency Detachment Swivel (RED Swivel). Like the sling, the RED Swivel is...interesting.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

You can also use an offset QD mount on that top rail.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746994 ... nite-black

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Scott B. wrote:TAM,

I guess it would be too easy if their slide show had something helpful like--labels.

What's the specific version of the pictured sling? I know it's one of their Kryptec versions, is it the Highlander or the Typhoon? That black/blue Kryptec would look real good with my stealth grey SBR.

I had accidentally purchased a Coyote Brown version of one of their slings with the Rapid Emergency Detachment Swivel (RED Swivel). Like the sling, the RED Swivel is...interesting.
It's the Typhoon pattern.

I also have the Kryptek Highlander version for my SCAR 17, and a plain unpadded one for my DMR. I love the VCAS slings, and Blue Force Gear is where I buy all my slings and sling hardware.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”