"Truck Shotgun"

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 2

"Truck Shotgun"

Post by Crash »

Lots of folks recommend a lever-action rifle as a "truck gun." How about a short-barreled (18 1/2" or so), pump action shotgun loaded with alternate rounds of buckshot and slugs? A 20 ga Mossberg is only $255 at the local Walmart, so if it gets stolen it won't bankrupt you to replace it.

Thoughts?

Crash

Jusme
Posts in topic: 10

Re: "Truck Shotgun"

Post by Jusme »

While it's not an EDC I carry my Mossberg model 500 12 ga 18.5 inch barrel with me in my truck quite often. it's loaded with 3 inch magnum 00 buck, I keep a bandoleer with it that has an assortment from 2-3/4" 00 buck to slugs. I have an Elzetta light mount with a Streamlight flashlight (I forget the model #)

I call it my "crowd pleaser" I got used to having a shotgun in my patrol car, so I never got out of the habit. It fits behind my seat in a soft case that I leave unzipped while driving. It is not something I can access while driving, but if I am forced to stop, or find myself in a really bad situation, I can step out grab it and the bandoleer and be at the ready in under 5 seconds. (I don't know if my neighbors think I'm crazy while practicing this or not) I have a sling on it so I can still use my pistol if needed.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crash »

Jusme,

Thanks, appreciate the recommendation. Question: is a 12 ga really all that much better for self-defense at close ranges (say up to 35 yards)?

Crash

FastCarry
Posts in topic: 1

Post by FastCarry »

The most important qualification i have for a trunk weapon is that it can be operated with one hand.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

My present truck gun is an old JC Higgins (High Standard Flite King) 12ga pump with a 20" barrel. Got it at a garage sale to replace a 12ga 3" Winchester 1300 Defender. With 2-3/4" 00 buck shot it patterns just as well as the Winchester. I shot some 3" in the Defender and the extra pellets are not worth the extra recoil to me. If I could find some 12 ga 2-3/4" #1 buck shot I would use it instead of the 00 buck. .33 00 buck shot vs .30 #1 buck shot for more pellets. I paid 60 bucks for the JC Higgins and wouldn't sweat the loss if it was stolen or if I was in a wreck and couldn't retrieve my stuff.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Crash wrote:Jusme,

Thanks, appreciate the recommendation. Question: is a 12 ga really all that much better for self-defense at close ranges (say up to 35 yards)?

Crash

At 35 yards, 00 buck fired from a cylinder bore 18.5 inch barrel spreads so much that you would only get a few pellets on target in either gauge, with few exceptions like flight control shells 12 gauge gives you more pellets per round than 20. As far as slugs there is probably not much difference other than the diameter you would be using from 12 to 20. 12 gauge is what I have always used for everything from dove hunting to tactical shooting so I am just more comfortable with it. The difference in recoil in so slight that unless I'm shooting 3 inch magnum loads I can't tell the difference. I just like the idea of having a few extra 00 buck pellets down range. It is probably just a matter of preference, there is nothing wrong with a 20 gauge in my opinion, it's just that I've always used 12 and feel confident with it.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

AndyC wrote:I keep this 12-ga in my trunk:

Inexpensive enough that I wouldn't be too distraught if it got nicked, but I have spent some time & money in getting it set up to suit me. It's loaded with Fed #1 (15 pellets + Flitecontrol wad) buckshot with extra on the side plus 2 slugs.

Hey Andy who's your source for #1 flight control? Everywhere I look they are out of it

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

AndyC wrote:They're a superb load and annoyingly scarce, yep.

First time I bought them for testing purposes a few years back I found them online (sorry, can't remember where but I *think* it was sgammo.com) - more recently I lucked into PawPaw here on the forum who knew it was my favorite 12-ga load and offered to split a purchase of some he'd found somewhere.

Ok thanks SG was where I saw them but when I went to order they were out of stock. I'll just keep looking I'm on several places to notify me when they are in stock again.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

First time I bought them for testing purposes a few years back I found them online (sorry, can't remember where but I *think* it was sgammo.com) - more recently I lucked into PawPaw here on the forum who knew it was my favorite 12-ga load and offered to split a purchase of some he'd found somewhere.

Edit: Looks like ammunitiondepot has some - http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Federal- ... e1321b.htm

Thanks I just placed an order. did't see your edit at first.

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

This would be my truck shotgun of choice if he ever worked out the reliability kinks. I'd probably need a pintle mount too. Or maybe a turret like on a Humvee.

USAF 1982-2005

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

ELB wrote:This would be my truck shotgun of choice if he ever worked out the reliability kinks. I'd probably need a pintle mount too. Or maybe a turret like on a Humvee.

Yeah I wonder if comes with a dash mount? :biggrinjester:

It does look like it still has feeding issues though. Once the bugs are worked out that would be fun to play with.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

Edit: Looks like ammunitiondepot has some - http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Federal- ... e1321b.htm
Yep, that's where I got them. :mrgreen:

At that time, I ordered a case, though. http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Federal- ... b-case.htm

Edit: For anyone who hasn't seen how devastating this load is:

And this is my own pattern testing from my Mossberg 930 18-1/2" cylinder bore:

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”