Custom AR Rifle cycling problems

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 5

Custom AR Rifle cycling problems

Post by Pariah3j »

Took my AR15 out to the range this weekend. Its a custom build using a internal DPMS parts kit. It has been a great gun, shoots good - at least until this weekend. I was having to manually charge the charging handle after every shot to eject the spent brass and load the next round. I had a mix of different ammo and tried 2-3 different mags. So the problem would appear to be the rifle itself. This is a new one for me, never had this problem with an AR before. Just looking for some thoughs/feedback as to what I should check/try to resolve the issue ? I haven't had a chance since the range to break the gun down and clean/inspect it. I'll take some pics and post it when I do.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

psijac
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Custom AR Rifle cycling problems

Post by psijac »

Did the gas block come loose?
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

Topic author
Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

psijac wrote:Did the gas block come loose?
I wouldn't think so, but anything is possible. I will check that this evening when I break the gun down and clean it.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Its more likely the gas tube came loose or got crushed.

Back in the day, we were taught to smash the top of the handguard against something hard to disable an M-16 to prevent the enemy from using it against you. It worked well with the old triangular handguards. ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Pariah3j wrote:Took my AR15 out to the range this weekend. Its a custom build using a internal DPMS parts kit. It has been a great gun, shoots good - at least until this weekend. I was having to manually charge the charging handle after every shot to eject the spent brass and load the next round. I had a mix of different ammo and tried 2-3 different mags. So the problem would appear to be the rifle itself. This is a new one for me, never had this problem with an AR before. Just looking for some thoughs/feedback as to what I should check/try to resolve the issue ? I haven't had a chance since the range to break the gun down and clean/inspect it. I'll take some pics and post it when I do.
Also, take bolt apart and make sure ejector recess, ejector slot & bolt face are clean of brass shavings. Clogged ejectors are often responsible for fail-to-ejects. Check to make sure that extractor spring and plunger assembly is intact and functioning as well.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Pawpaw wrote:
Its more likely the gas tube came loose or got crushed.

Back in the day, we were taught to smash the top of the handguard against something hard to disable an M-16 to prevent the enemy from using it against you. It worked well with the old triangular handguards. ;-)
No crushed gas tube - handrail won't allow it... Can't really get to it but the piece of the tube in chamber doesn't move
Bitter Clinger wrote:
Also, take bolt apart and make sure ejector recess, ejector slot & bolt face are clean of brass shavings. Clogged ejectors are often responsible for fail-to-ejects. Check to make sure that extractor spring and plunger assembly is intact and functioning as well.
Everything looks fine, no shavings and bolt appears to be functional

Went ahead and gave it a good cleaning- My wife said she believes I didn't clean it after the last range visit before this weekend. I usually clean all my guns the day of or day after the range. But the last time I went was on a busy weekend and I can't remember if I cleaned it. Plus its been in the trunk of the car for the last couple weeks, thinking back I'm not sure how well oiled it was this weekend. Gonna give it another try hopefully this weekend and report back. At this point I'm just hoping its a typical finicky AR15 issue.

Topic author
Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

AndyC wrote:Gas-key isn't coming loose?
I would have said no but I went back and it was loose... Tightened it back down... Didn't seem that loose but there was some noticeable give ...

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Check the rings on the bolt and make sure that the gaps in them are offset from each other as well and not all lined up.

remington79
Posts in topic: 2

Post by remington79 »

Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

DocV

Post by DocV »

:iagree: MOACKS if you can get your hands on one. Otherwise a punch.

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

I had a similar situation with a custom AR. It turned out that when I changed the endplate (so I could add a QD sling), I reinstalled the buffer tube one turn too short, causing the bolt to travel just a hair too far back. Once I tightened it one more turn, I haven't had any issues since.

That may or may not help, but a good reminder that you will become a seasoned trouble shooter when you build your own.

Topic author
Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Rrash wrote:I had a similar situation with a custom AR. It turned out that when I changed the endplate (so I could add a QD sling), I reinstalled the buffer tube one turn too short, causing the bolt to travel just a hair too far back. Once I tightened it one more turn, I haven't had any issues since.

That may or may not help, but a good reminder that you will become a seasoned trouble shooter when you build your own.
Good to note Rrash - I'll take a look at that and double check
DocV wrote:
:iagree: MOACKS if you can get your hands on one. Otherwise a punch.
Does it need to be done again if it was already done ? It obviously didn't stick but didn't know if it would help to re-stake it.

remington79

Post by remington79 »

You should if it didn't stick. It needs to look like the first set of photos. The sides of the nut should be deformed so that there is no way that it can be unscrewed or otherwise loosen up. Make it so yours looks like the pictures of the Colt or BCM carrier. You should also check the castle nut to make sure it's staked to.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

DocV

Post by DocV »

Before you stake be certain you torque the key screws to 35-40 inch pounds. Then each screw in three places. You will need to fire three to eight rounds after staking to seal the key. You may have to manually charge until the key is sealed.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”