Finished/Tested: New 10.5" SBR

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Finished/Tested: New 10.5" SBR

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My son and I built my SBR this afternoon and took it to Elm Fork for testing, along with another rifle and a new suppressor. The new suppressor to be covered in a separate thread.

Here are the ingredients:
  • — Spikes Tactical Gen II Upper and Lower Receivers
    — Spikes Tactical Carbine Buffer and Spring
    — MFT Minimalist Stock
    — Smith Enterprises Chrome National Match Bolt Carrier
    — Leitner-Wise Mfg NiB Bolt
    — Timney 3 lb Competition Trigger
    — Rainier Arms Select 300AAC 10.5" Black Nitrided Stainless Steel Barrel
    — Bravo Company 9" KMR Alpha Rail
    — Aimpoint Micro T2 Red Dot
    — AAC Flashhider
    — AAC 762-SDN-6 Suppressor
Weight:
  • 6 lb 3 oz unsuppressed
    7 lb 8 oz suppressed
It actually feels considerably lighter than it is because it is so nice and compact. I LOVE this configuration! You can very easily straight arm it like a pistol, even with the suppressor mounted.

This SBR uses the lower receiver and stock from this carbine:

This is the 10.5" SBR barrel:

Here is the barrel mounted in the upper receiver:

The 9" BCM KMR rail has been mounted:

The fully assembled upper, with AAC flashhider:

My son holding the completed SBR:

So, we ran it over to Elm Fork. This video is of 10 rounds fired, all 10 are suppressed. The first 5 rounds are Stand 1 Armory 125 Grain SST supersonics; and the second 5 rounds are Stand 1 Armory 208 Grain A-MAX subsonics. The 125s are quieter than supersonic 5.56 through the carbine barrel.....probably because they're only going about 1700 fps and it's a smaller powder charge than a 5.56 load. But the 208s are amazingly quiet. You'll hear a guy coughing in the background at one point, and his cough is louder than the subsonics:

The cost of .300 Blackout ammo aside, this SBR is my favorite AR ever. It's going to get one more mod down the road, which will benefit the carbine upper too, and that is one of those Law Tactical Folding AR-15 Stock Adapters. Right now, the SBR with the suppressor attached is actually a little shorter than the carbine upper, by maybe an 3/4" or so. With a folded stock and the suppressor removed, it will fit in a pretty small carrying device.

You can have your Sub-2000. I'll take this SBR. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Finished/Tested: New 10.5" SBR

Post by Jago668 »

Thanks for that TAM. Pretty close to what I'm wanting to get built. Crossing my fingers for next year, house buying pretty much said no to any projects this year.
NRA Benefactor Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Looks amazing!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Very, very nice!

Good luck with it!
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Not sure if you hand load, if you do try some Hornady 220 grain for subsonic. They function well and are fairly accurate suppressed.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

:drool:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Okay, I think you have just cost me money cause I want one
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

mrvmax wrote:Not sure if you hand load, if you do try some Hornady 220 grain for subsonic. They function well and are fairly accurate suppressed.
I do handload, and am about to trade AndyC a spare shooting mat for a set of .300 BLK dies. In the above video, the first 5 shots were supersonic 125 grain Hornady SSTs. The second 5 shots were 220 grain Hornady A-MAXs. Both loads were purchased from Stand 1 Armory in Dallas. As far as accuracy goes, it was so-so for both cartridges, but mainly because I was shooting at unmagnified Aimpoint Micro at 50 yards, and I have crappy eyesight. I'm sure it would be better if I either added a magnifier or mounted a variable power optic appropriate to the cartridge.

Speaking of optics, I absolutely love the Aimpoint for close-in stuff, but I'm going to have to pick up a magnified optic if I want to use this SBR for hunting, 'cause it's not fair to the game otherwise. The problem is that I know of no low-variable-power scope with a BDC reticle calibrated to the .300 BLK cartridge, so I'm going to have to get one with a MRAD or MOA type reticle.

Edited to add: Ok, I now know of such scopes, and YOWZA!!! That hurts, if you want a decent one.

Now, how to convince SWSBO.......
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Sun May 15, 2016 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

rentz

Post by rentz »

ive got a 10.5" sbr'd 5.56 lmt upper and while nice anytime i get it out i think i really should pickup a .300blk upper because short barrelled 5.56 are just so freakin loud

i probably should get busy on that suppressor purchase too before its too late :drool:

bulletslap
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bulletslap »

Good looking Rifle, my Forum 1 for a SBR is still in ATF purgatory - so my 300 is still a pistol.

I need to get a set of Dies for it, and a bullet mold or two.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The problem is that I know of no low-variable-power scope with a BDC reticle calibrated to the .300 BLK cartridge, so I'm going to have to get one with a MRAD or MOA type reticle.

Edited to add: Ok, I now know of such scopes, and YOWZA!!! That hurts, if you want a decent one.

I've contemplated this Nikon M-300 for my SBR'd 300 upper, but as you said, they're pricey. That said the combination of my upper, suppressor, and one of these scopes would be a fun hog gun.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Now, how to convince SWSBO.......
How did she get downgraded from "She Who MUST Be Obeyed" to "She Who SHOULD Be Obeyed"? :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Pawpaw wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Now, how to convince SWSBO.......
How did she get downgraded from "She Who MUST Be Obeyed" to "She Who SHOULD Be Obeyed"? :lol:
Easy...... I know the difference between "must" and "should". :mrgreen:

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

SigM4 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:The problem is that I know of no low-variable-power scope with a BDC reticle calibrated to the .300 BLK cartridge, so I'm going to have to get one with a MRAD or MOA type reticle.

I've contemplated this Nikon M-300 for my SBR'd 300 upper, but as you said, they're pricey. That said the combination of my upper, suppressor, and one of these scopes would be a fun hog gun.
$699.95 isn't actually too bad. The items I was looking at were in the $1000-$1800 range........ more than I wanted to spend. The thing is, I don't know if I want an optic that starts at 1.5x. I think I'd either prefer a true 1x at the low end, or get something like the Trijicon 3x for 300 blk.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”