My First AR-15!

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
atx2a
Posts in topic: 6

Re: My First AR-15!

Post by atx2a »

Well, I took a little advice here and there and did the following for now so it would be home defense ready.

New rail system
tactical light (w/light strobe)
handle up front
single point sling

I also bought several new mags (a few 30s and one 40) and a huge case of ammo. I'm going to hold off on optics till I get more used to it.

What do y'all think?
Untitled.png
Austin, TX
Speak softly and have a helluva double tap.

Topic author
atx2a

Post by atx2a »

Jusme wrote:
atx2a wrote:TOTALLY buying one of these: http://www.tacticalgearjunkie.com/diamo ... it-cannon/

Thanks a lot atx2a!! I was almost over my "I really want one of those too" phase and here ya go messin' with my mind again!! :smilelol5:

Sorry buddy! :cheers2:
Austin, TX

Topic author
atx2a

Post by atx2a »

atx2a wrote:Well, I took a little advice here and there and did the following for now so it would be home defense ready.

New rail system
tactical light (w/light strobe)
handle up front
single point sling

I also bought several new mags (a few 30s and one 40) and a huge case of ammo. I'm going to hold off on optics till I get more used to it.

What do y'all think?
Untitled.png
Oh yeah, and the Texas "Come and Take It" ejection port cover and take-down pins are in the mail. :txflag:
Austin, TX

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

Here's some more sites that will make you want to spend more money:

http://shop.customgunrails.com/

http://psalmproducts.com/

I plan on making myself a single point sling out of paracord. I found a site with all of the metal components needed. I already made a sling for my shotgun, so I'll see how this goes.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

Yup. He's addicted!

Lookin good atx2a!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

atx2a wrote:Okay, I finally got my first AR....at least that actually belongs to me. I'm not a fan of major mods and tend to be an "out of the box" kind of guy. That being said, I'm curious what basic accessories you all would suggest for this Ruger AR-556? Sling, light, MAYBE optics?

It is basically for having fun at the range and for defense. :patriot:

Suggestions?
That didn't last long, did it? :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
atx2a

Post by atx2a »

You're all correct...my "keep it simple" mantra didn't last long! Nothing fancy, but I picked up a red dot from Academy and sighted the rifle for absolute co-witness with the built-in sights.

I'd like to say that's it...but you all know there will be more. :thumbs2:
IMG_4497 copy 2.jpg
Austin, TX

LTCTLB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LTCTLB »

atx2a wrote:You're all correct...my "keep it simple" mantra didn't last long! Nothing fancy, but I picked up a red dot from Academy and sighted the rifle for absolute co-witness with the built-in sights.

IMG_4497 copy 2.jpg
And I've ordered my Vortex Strikefire 2 to arrive Tuesday, 7/5/16. Can't wait to take it to the range.
LTC training: 1/30/16; Application (online): 5/10; Fingerprints: 5/11; CHL100 submitted (online): 5/11; All docs received email from RSD: 5/12; Status change: 6/11; Plastic in hand: 6/13/16

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

atx2a wrote:You're all correct...my "keep it simple" mantra didn't last long! Nothing fancy, but I picked up a red dot from Academy and sighted the rifle for absolute co-witness with the built-in sights.

IMG_4497 copy 2.jpg
Very nice looking. Definitely a work in progress. I haven't added or done anything to mine in a year or so. The last thing I did was change the original magpul grip to a Command Arms grip.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19602 ... 15-polymer

I think the only other thing I'll do is get a new trigger. The only problem is that I can't make up my mind which one.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”