CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 - Carbine info

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 16

CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 - Carbine info

Post by Scott B. »

Posted a picture in the black rifles section and thought I'd throw out some more info on this interesting firearm. Trigger warning, I may use privilege and ramble a bit. :lol:

Made by CZ, the Scorpion EVO 3 S1, is the civilian market version of a pretty slick 9mm submachinegun. Starting in 2015, the Scorpion was sold in the US as a pistol with a 7.72" barrel and no stock (thus the pistol designation). It's been a big seller for CZ and as you might imagine a very popular SBR candidate. Converting the pistol to SBR (short barreled rifle) requires that a number of Czech parts be replaced with US parts. This is for 922r compliance.

In 2016, CZ started importing two versions of the Scorpion in carbine form with a 16.2" barrel. One with a faux suppressor made by SilencerCo and the other with a muzzle brake.

The carbine version does not have the 922r compliance issues that the pistol does. Do the paperwork, pay the tax, and chop that barrel*, but please wait until you can do that legally.

If you're a lefty, you may appreciate the ambidextrous safety and a charging handle that can be switched left to right in about 10 seconds. However, there's no help with the ejection port or bolt release.

Image Image

The red flat trigger and larger charging handle are aftermarket parts.

Pictured below, the lower magwell/trigger pack section removes with the push of a single captured pin.

Image Image

The trigger group sits in a metal insert that is attached to the removable 'lower' by one 2mm hex screw, indicated with an arrow. This screw is made from some lousy pot metal, so have a replacement handy.

CZ is cranking Scorpions out at such a rate that the recent import versions have what they call a "World Legal" trigger pack. What makes it "World Legal" is a collar (removed here, but placement indicated by an arrow) on the inside of the trigger pack that's spot welded to the back of the 2mm hex screw. CZ does have a trigger pack exchange program in place, but if you don't want to wait, have fun :banghead: drilling the weld out like I did. Protip, buy the carbide tipped drill bit instead of being cheap like I was.

The stock trigger was a sloppy 9lbs + on my Lyman gauge. After new springs and some conservative polishing, I've got it down into the 4/5 lbs range and the takeup's not terrible.

One part that most Scorpion owners remove is the safety on the trigger finger side (left or right). In the fire position, the safety digs into the trigger finger (last picture in this post shows that better than these do). Initially, I removed the right side safety and shaved it down as seen in the second picture. Wasn't a bad solution, and worked fine. However, I replaced it with this very nifty 'AK' style safety (the two lower pictures).

The 'AK' safety smartly uses leverage and is very easy to manipulate with my trigger finger, whereas the thumb side safety requires rotating the hand around the grip and a bit of force to engage/disengage.

Another upgrade was replacing the stock mag release with this paddle/Hk style release. I find it very intuitive to use. You can push to activate it with your index finger, just as you can with the stock release, but I prefer the grasp method for changing mags.

Image Image

The bolt removes easily. Receiver interior shot shows the chamber and the charging handle rod.

Image Image

The carbine and pistol version have two hook points for slings, but I prefer QD mounts. Added this back QD mount through an existing hook mounting point and the new handguard is MLOK so your mounting options are very flexible.

The grip is slightly adjustable and held on with one screw. Didn't think I'd like the stock grip, but it's actually comfortable if a little slick when you're sweaty. There are limited aftermarket grip options at the moment, but that will change. I'm waiting for something better.

I've topped this carbine with a Trijicon MRO red dot. So far, I'm a fan.

Other tidbits.

Criminally fun to shoot.
It's an easy platform to work on.
Comes with 2 20rd magazines and 30rd magazines are available sub $30.
There's no recoil of note when shooting.
I found it to be very accurate.
CZ does sell an enhanced trigger pack replacement. They also sell a number of parts directly from CZ.
There's a strong and growing aftermarket for this platform.

Negatives.

The ambidextrous safety is poorly designed.
Stock trigger is not great, but fixable.
Welded trigger packs, if you get one, are a hindrance, but again fixable if you're handy or willing to wait on an exchange with CZ.
Some of the screws and roll pins aren't made from the best materials. Easily replaced with better.

*New handguard and barrel removal. They're using the same system as the pistol, the problem is the carbine's longer handguard means we'll need a special tool to undo the barrel nut. I can explain that in better detail, but this is already way too long.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

DexMorgan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 - Carbine info

Post by DexMorgan »

Thanks for the review! I've been seriously considering getting one of these soon. Some info that I came across was that there was a problem with the plastic magazine lips cracking in early 2015 on the pistol version. Supposedly, the problem was corrected and the new magazines are good to go. What's your experience with this?

Another 9mm carbine I'm considering is the ATI Milsport, which is an AR-based flat top that uses any size of 9mm Glock mags. Do you happen to have any experience with this model? What are your thoughts on the ATI vs the CZ? Both are in a similar price range, with the CZ selling for about $100 more.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

No direct experience w/ the ATI 9mm, but have played with a Just Right Carbine 9mm (also running on Glock mags).

Love my ARs, but when it came to 9mm carbines I wanted something different. The Scorpion price point and aftermarket support made it an easy decision. I had strongly considered the Sig MPX, but with the price difference I could buy a fair bit of ammo and parts for the Scorpion.

I am keeping a close eye on the magazines as have read the same. Fortunately, 30rd magazines can be had cheaply. Got mine for $15 a pop.

DexMorgan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DexMorgan »

Thanks for the reply. I think the cracked feed lip issue was more on the 20rd mags instead of the 30rd mags. There was some mention about the same spring length being used in both mags, placing more tension on the feed lips of the 20-rounder, as well as a question of whether the polymer mix was appropriate. I hope those issues are in the past.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

So how much is the carbine?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

Thanks for the info!
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

The Annoyed Man wrote:So how much is the carbine?
Street price looks to be about $995 or so. The muzzle brake edition should be a few bucks under the fake can carbine.

The pistol version is in the $760 ~ $790 range.

karder

Post by karder »

Thanks for the review Scott B. I have been interested in this carbine but haven't researched it much. Great information here. It looks like it would make a nifty addition to my collection.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

SigM4
Posts in topic: 6

Post by SigM4 »

The one thing I have been somewhat disappointed about is the muzzle threads. While they are the more popular 1/2x28 (vs. whatever oddball threads were on the original pistols), as you can see below they did not thread all the way up to the shoulder. Had they done this, or even cut a relief after the threads (and before the barrel) it would have been fine; the way it stands though you can't snug a mounting device or direct thread a can up against the shoulder of the barrel. Ultimately it's not much of a problem for me as I've already filed my Form 1 to SBR it (have yet to answer the question Scott posed about getting to the handguard retaining nut, I still have a couple of months to figure this out luckily). Still, would liked to have seen better thread specs used.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Great point about the threads.

As of yet, nobody is making a specific tool for the carbine barrel nut. CZ Custom does sell a socket, it looks like it should slide over the barrel.

http://czcustom.com/cz-scorpion-evo-3-s1.html

My plan, when the time comes, is to find a shop that will weld a length of pipe to the socket, add some flats, and hope it's strong enough to do the job.

bybon

Post by bybon »

The socket they sell will not fit the carbine. They may make one in the future. As of now, they have been selling them so fast that they have not torn one apart............that is their story.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Interesting thread and very informative - nice job!

However, at the end of the day, I am not convinced that this is a more cost effective, more reliable, or more ergonomic solution than the SIG MPX right out of the box?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Cost effective...that's up to you own personal budget for these sorts of things.

Platform, avg prices:

Scorpion pistol - $750
Sig MPX pistol - $1,400 (several configs, that's a rough avg price)

Scorpion carbine - $950
Sig MPX carbine - $1,700

30 rd magazines

Scorpion - $19
Sig MPX - $55

Ergonomics...Sig is a great feeling gun, but heavier. Has a rear charging handle and AR type trigger. The CZ charges like a MP5. Trigger is not as tune-able as the MPX.

Reliability. So far, the Scorpion runs like a clock and w/ the money I saved over the MPX I have a lot more ammo to shoot. :cheers2:

It's all personal choice. The MPX is a great platform and I wouldn't hesitate to own one....well, I guess I did hesitate since I went with the Scorpion. Let me put it this way, I'd still like an MPX to add to the collection.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

bybon wrote:The socket they sell will not fit the carbine. They may make one in the future. As of now, they have been selling them so fast that they have not torn one apart............that is their story.

Thanks for the info. I'm waiting on my SOT to come back so I can start work on the Scorpion. I'm going to have to....get creative I guess.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Thanks again! May I ask how much time & money you spent on mods?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”