Issue with my AR build

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Issue with my AR build

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

OK, so I have recently completed my first (mil-spec) AR lower build, put a fully assembled upper on it, and finally got a chance to take it to the range. Only one issue (so far).

I lock the bolt back, insert a full 20 round magazine, release the bolt take aim, pull the trigger, and nothing happens. The trigger appears to not be resetting. No click, no nothing. When I then follow my SPORTS training, a round ejects with the pull of the charging handle, so a round did feed initially, and everything works fine from that point on. I can fire the entire magazine. Next mag, same issue.

So what did I do wrong with this build? I'm thinking it's something with the trigger???

bubba84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Issue with my AR build

Post by bubba84 »

Are you "riding" the charging handle when you load the first round? Possibly not allowing the bcg to fully close.

Take the upper off and look at the "legs" of the hammer spring. They should be on top of the trigger pin.

Unassemble and reassemble the lower, maybe you missed something.

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

I agree with Bubba, make sure you pull the charging handle back and let her rip when loading a new magazine. I was doing the same thing when I first got my sport ii. If you still have the issue, then I would take it apart and double check everything.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

Does everything work with a function check on an empty rifle? Pull the trigger and hammer falls?

Have you tested the trigger assembly without the upper on the rifle? You can use your hand to stop the hammer from hitting the frame.

boxermoose

Post by boxermoose »

Wag2323 wrote:Does everything work with a function check on an empty rifle? Pull the trigger and hammer falls?

Have you tested the trigger assembly without the upper on the rifle? You can use your hand to stop the hammer from hitting the frame.
Yup, gotta make sure the hammer spring is the right way around. So with the upper off pull the hammer back, make sure it locks, put your thumb in front if it so it doesn't hit the lower & make sure the trigger releases it

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Doesn't all that depend on whether or not the OP is loading that first round by releasing the charging handle or or the bold catch lever? Most of the time I thumb the bolt catch lever to load that first round after inserting a fresh mag and have had no issues.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'm loading the first round by hitting the bolt release lever. They taught me well in Basic Training not to ride the charging handle, so that's not the issue. I'm guessing it is probably the hammer spring. Everything function checks fine when the rifle is empty, assembled and with just the lower, although I have not checked the specific sequence of locking the bolt back on an unloaded mag, releasing the bolt catch and then dry firing.

I will check the hammer spring and failing that just do a complete disassemble and reassemble.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”