Don't want to cause a change, but....

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Don't want to cause a change, but....

Post by cyphertext »

JALLEN wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
rentz wrote: Perhaps it's the cost of 22lr ammo that's causing lower sales and thus lower prices
Bingo... the limited availability of .22lr is driving the pricing of the rifles down. Who wants to buy a new .22lr when you can't buy a brick of ammo to go with it!
But now you can. The availability of ammo isn't like the good old days when you could buy as many bricks as you wanted for $8 a piece, but as far as I have seen, ammo is on the shelves and mail order, plentiful, albeit a bit higher cost.
In my area, it is not "plentiful"... Plentiful would be that on any given Saturday, you could run into the local Academy or Walmart on the way to the range and choose between 500+ value packs of Blazer, Federal, Winchester, or Remington.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

cyphertext wrote:
In my area, it is not "plentiful"... Plentiful would be that on any given Saturday, you could run into the local Academy or Walmart on the way to the range and choose between 500+ value packs of Blazer, Federal, Winchester, or Remington.
It's a moveable feast. Shortly after I moved back here from San Diego, ~3 years ago, I went to a nearby Academy to see about some "real" magazines. I surveyed their ammo inventory. No rimfire at all, rationed when they had it, and I think I brought more ammo in the trunk of my car from CA than Academy had that day.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

I have several .22lr rifles and a couple handguns. I also really like Henry rifles, but only have one in .44mag. I would like to have a .22lr silver Boy or an .17hmr silver Boy. Their survival .22lr would also be cool. I don't really have a need for any of them, but if the prices of the silver boys comes down enough I'll get one of those.

I also believe that if the price of .22lr firearms really is coming down it is due to the demand decreasing because of availability of .22lr ammo. Why buy a handgun or rifle if you can't find any ammo for it?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

Right now the only reason I bother with .22lr is for my kids, I am focusing my 99% of efforts on all the things the government doesn't want me to have.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

What about the CMMG .22 BCG drop in that works for the AR15? Other than the price of it being about a .22 rifle . . .

https://www.cmmginc.com/product-categor ... sion-kits/
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

LAYGO wrote:What about the CMMG .22 BCG drop in that works for the AR15? Other than the price of it being about a .22 rifle . . .

https://www.cmmginc.com/product-categor ... sion-kits/
They work well. I have a CMMG Quebec A... A dedicated .22lr upper on a standard lower. I added a "Better-Mag" kit to it so that I could use the S&W 15-22 magazines. The Better-Mag kit allows the rifle to have bolt hold open on the last shot, and keeps the bolt open when the empty magazine is removed. The 15-22 magazines are also cheaper and more readily available.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”