Marlin 336BL

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 18

Marlin 336BL

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Who here owns a Marlin 336BL, and how do you like it?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Marlin 336BL

Post by G.A. Heath »

I don't have that one, but I do have a Marlin 1895GBL (similar rifle in .45-70). When I first got it the action was a bit tight, and I felt the trigger could have used a little bit more work to make it break a little cleaner. These issues did clear up with a good breakdown and cleaning, along with the first trip to the range. I like mine a lot and would not hesitate on that rifle if I were wanting a .30-30.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Who here owns a Marlin 336BL, and how do you like it?

I don't own one, and I don't know if they have gotten production up and running on this model since they were bought out. From what I have heard, all of the Marlin lever actions were very suspect, with multiple issues, before the buy out and afterwards with old equipment being blamed.
Are you looking at a new one, or used? Check the interweb, they have several horror stories regarding Marlin QC as well as the new owner's issues, so much so, that they stopped production on several models until the bugs could be worked out.
I know that much older Marlins, were better made, but I would be leery of anything within the last 15-20 years. I'm sure there are some on here who can give you better first hand info.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I've had a Marlin 30-30T for a number of years.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Jusme wrote:

I don't own one, and I don't know if they have gotten production up and running on this model since they were bought out. From what I have heard, all of the Marlin lever actions were very suspect, with multiple issues, before the buy out and afterwards with old equipment being blamed.
Are you looking at a new one, or used? Check the interweb, they have several horror stories regarding Marlin QC as well as the new owner's issues, so much so, that they stopped production on several models until the bugs could be worked out.
I know that much older Marlins, were better made, but I would be leery of anything within the last 15-20 years. I'm sure there are some on here who can give you better first hand info.
My son worked as a gunsmith for 3 years, and has worked on both the pre- and post-buyout Marlin lever rifles. I had heard about QC issues, but had never read and actual stories about or spoken to owners who had such horror stories concerning their post-buyout rifles. I asked my son, and he said that he had never personally seen any post-buyout rifles with serious issues. The kinds of things that he did on the Marlins were the more common gunshop smithing jobs, like doing a complete takedown and thorough cleaning, or maybe a little bit of trigger improvement, or mounting a scout rail with an optic and bore sighting it.......that kind of stuff. He said that he never had to do a repair on a post-buyout rifle due to a "from the factory" issue.

The buyout was 9 years ago (2007), and it was 6 years ago that they announced that their manufacturing would be moved to the Remington plant in Ilion. If that's where they are being manufactured now, then their QC can't be any worse than Remington's QC.......which for all I know, may have fallen off a bit in recent years. My 700 VSF (basically, a 26" barreled Sendero in .308 with a non-stainless heavy fluted barrel and action in a HS Precision varmint profile stock) was purchased new in 2007, the last year they made that model, and it is a fine and accurate rifle; so I can't speak to current Remington quality.

I'll have to read up on the "horror stories" and see what's up. Maybe it has as much to do with CS as QC?
G.A. Heath wrote:I don't have that one, but I do have a Marlin 1895GBL (similar rifle in .45-70). When I first got it the action was a bit tight, and I felt the trigger could have used a little bit more work to make it break a little cleaner. These issues did clear up with a good breakdown and cleaning, along with the first trip to the range. I like mine a lot and would not hesitate on that rifle if I were wanting a .30-30.
I have also looked at that model, for the same reasons I like the 336BL — the overall "handiness" of the 18" barrel, the big loop lever, and the 6-round magazine. But the main reason I'm looking for a .30-30 is ammo availability. I have no plans to hunt moose or grizzly bears. I'm thinking in terms of a general purpose truck gun that it won't absolutely kill me if it gets stolen. (Not that I wouldn't care about it getting stolen, but I just wouldn't be out the same kind of investment if it were.) I realize that I can always buy a regular Marlin and swap out the standard lever for a big loop lever, but the factory can add those things cheaper than I can, and I'd end up paying more than I want to for the finished product. Also, the 336BL is the only .30-30 currently offered with an 18" barrel - the others all having 20" or 24" barrels. If I buy one, I want the shorter rifle.

If push came to shove, I could do without one. I already own a Ruger Gunsite Scout (with a 10 round capacity and a 16" barrel), which is a good rifle for the same role. Plus, the RGS has a threaded muzzle, so I can always swap out the flash hider for an AAC unit and use one of my existing suppressors. But, I'm trying to think ahead to the days like we've already seen in the last 10 years, when .308 ammo was very hard to find on the shelves at times, and .30-30 was just sitting there on the selves, waiting for a good home. And, I am also thinking in terms of the investment. The RGS costs more to replace than a 336 by a significant amount.

I have also given thought to the Henry line of lever rifles, which seem to be very well made, and are getting good reviews. My only problem with them is that I prefer the Marlin's ability to top off the magazine through the loading gate, instead of having to use the Henry's system of loading from the end of the magazine tube. Also, Henry doesn't offer a big-loop .30-30 with an 18" barrel. Otherwise, the Henry's would certainly be a viable choice.

In the end, I may just stick with my RGS, which I like, which has the added benefit of the scout rail and a peep sight, an optic on a QD mount, and which has the ability to be reloaded quickly via detachable box magazines (of which I have four 10-rounders and a couple of 5-rounders).......and just take my chances with ammo availability. Not counting already loaded cartridges, I probably have at least 3000-4000 once-fired cases plus a little over 1000 .308 bullets in varying weights, and 11 lbs of Varget.........so it's time to get busy reloading anyway.

Keep the lever rifle opinions coming though...... I'm still not decided.

A TTAG story about Marlin QC: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... -well-see/......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

rotor

Post by rotor »

I have two Marlin Levers, one in 30-30 and one in 44 Magnum. Both are excellent, both were used and both have JM stamped on the barrel. The 30-30 is actually a Glenfield which was the JC Penny produced Marlin. When I researched this I was told that without the JM stamp one might be getting one of the newer supposedly inferior rifles but that was some time back. I personally don't think that would keep me from getting a new one now and I am sure that the manufacturer would stand behind their product if you got a dud. I think that if you are able to work the action in the store to see how smooth it is and to examine the fit and finish you can tell if you would be happy with the gun. I personally like levers, Marlin more than Winchester as the ejection is from the side allowing easy scope mounting. I always pinch my finger when loading though. As I said, I would not hesitate to buy a new Marlin lever.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I have a mod. 336 in .30-.30 cal that my father gave me when I was in 5th grade. It is by far my and my son's favorite deer rifle out to about 200 yards. Haven't tried a shot further than that and I doubt I will. However, we haven't had to look for a deer yet. Every one we've shot with it has dropped immediately or within 30 yards.

Otherwise, it is a great solid gun. Not sure about this newer model though.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 23

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Jusme wrote:

My son worked as a gunsmith for 3 years, and has worked on both the pre- and post-buyout Marlin lever rifles. I had heard about QC issues, but had never read and actual stories about or spoken to owners who had such horror stories concerning their post-buyout rifles. I asked my son, and he said that he had never personally seen any post-buyout rifles with serious issues. The kinds of things that he did on the Marlins were the more common gunshop smithing jobs, like doing a complete takedown and thorough cleaning, or maybe a little bit of trigger improvement, or mounting a scout rail with an optic and bore sighting it.......that kind of stuff. He said that he never had to do a repair on a post-buyout rifle due to a "from the factory" issue.

The buyout was 9 years ago (2007), and it was 6 years ago that they announced that their manufacturing would be moved to the Remington plant in Ilion. If that's where they are being manufactured now, then their QC can't be any worse than Remington's QC.......which for all I know, may have fallen off a bit in recent years. My 700 VSF (basically, a 26" barreled Sendero in .308 with a non-stainless heavy fluted barrel and action in a HS Precision varmint profile stock) was purchased new in 2007, the last year they made that model, and it is a fine and accurate rifle; so I can't speak to current Remington quality.

I'll have to read up on the "horror stories" and see what's up. Maybe it has as much to do with CS as QC?
G.A. Heath wrote:I don't have that one, but I do have a Marlin 1895GBL (similar rifle in .45-70). When I first got it the action was a bit tight, and I felt the trigger could have used a little bit more work to make it break a little cleaner. These issues did clear up with a good breakdown and cleaning, along with the first trip to the range. I like mine a lot and would not hesitate on that rifle if I were wanting a .30-30.
I have also looked at that model, for the same reasons I like the 336BL — the overall "handiness" of the 18" barrel, the big loop lever, and the 6-round magazine. But the main reason I'm looking for a .30-30 is ammo availability. I have no plans to hunt moose or grizzly bears. I'm thinking in terms of a general purpose truck gun that it won't absolutely kill me if it gets stolen. (Not that I wouldn't care about it getting stolen, but I just wouldn't be out the same kind of investment if it were.) I realize that I can always buy a regular Marlin and swap out the standard lever for a big loop lever, but the factory can add those things cheaper than I can, and I'd end up paying more than I want to for the finished product. Also, the 336BL is the only .30-30 currently offered with an 18" barrel - the others all having 20" or 24" barrels. If I buy one, I want the shorter rifle.

If push came to shove, I could do without one. I already own a Ruger Gunsite Scout (with a 10 round capacity and a 16" barrel), which is a good rifle for the same role. Plus, the RGS has a threaded muzzle, so I can always swap out the flash hider for an AAC unit and use one of my existing suppressors. But, I'm trying to think ahead to the days like we've already seen in the last 10 years, when .308 ammo was very hard to find on the shelves at times, and .30-30 was just sitting there on the selves, waiting for a good home. And, I am also thinking in terms of the investment. The RGS costs more to replace than a 336 by a significant amount.

I have also given thought to the Henry line of lever rifles, which seem to be very well made, and are getting good reviews. My only problem with them is that I prefer the Marlin's ability to top off the magazine through the loading gate, instead of having to use the Henry's system of loading from the end of the magazine tube. Also, Henry doesn't offer a big-loop .30-30 with an 18" barrel. Otherwise, the Henry's would certainly be a viable choice.

In the end, I may just stick with my RGS, which I like, which has the added benefit of the scout rail and a peep sight, an optic on a QD mount, and which has the ability to be reloaded quickly via detachable box magazines (of which I have four 10-rounders and a couple of 5-rounders).......and just take my chances with ammo availability. Not counting already loaded cartridges, I probably have at least 3000-4000 once-fired cases plus a little over 1000 .308 bullets in varying weights, and 11 lbs of Varget.........so it's time to get busy reloading anyway.

Keep the lever rifle opinions coming though...... I'm still not decided.

A TTAG story about Marlin QC: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... -well-see/......
TAM, It looks like you've done you're homework on Marlin and their history after Remington bought them and moved the manufacture site. I haven't been on the Marlin owners forum for a while and haven't seen any feedback on this model. It appears to be similar to older models (Marauder and Trapper) that were and are still sought after. The issues with Remlins are myriad. Some say they have gotten better and others not so much. Some of the issues were ridiculous as you've probably read. I suggest you go to the Marlin owners forum. http://www.marlinowners.com/ The knowledge base is vast and there are several ex- Marlin employee members. ( Remington didn't take the Marlin employees) You'll be able to weed out the few with an ax to grind. The lever guns were the most affected by quality issues. I have purchased a couple of their post Remington .22's and they are fine. I think they're made in Kentucky. There was never quality issues at the North Haven factory prior to the sale. There are stories that quality had nosedived before Remington took over, but are unfounded. I have a couple of mid 1960's 336 Texans, both in 30-30. I wish I'd bought one in .44 Magnum.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote:TAM, It looks like you've done you're homework on Marlin and their history after Remington bought them and moved the manufacture site. I haven't been on the Marlin owners forum for a while and haven't seen any feedback on this model. It appears to be similar to older models (Marauder and Trapper) that were and are still sought after. The issues with Remlins are myriad. Some say they have gotten better and others not so much. Some of the issues were ridiculous as you've probably read. I suggest you go to the Marlin owners forum. http://www.marlinowners.com/ The knowledge base is vast and there are several ex- Marlin employee members. ( Remington didn't take the Marlin employees) You'll be able to weed out the few with an ax to grind. The lever guns were the most affected by quality issues. I have purchased a couple of their post Remington .22's and they are fine. I think they're made in Kentucky. There was never quality issues at the North Haven factory prior to the sale. There are stories that quality had nosedived before Remington took over, but are unfounded. I have a couple of mid 1960's 336 Texans, both in 30-30. I wish I'd bought one in .44 Magnum.
I just did 10 minutes of research on that Marlin Owners forum, and it appears that there are still complaints about quality. The problem I kept seeing repeated was that either or both the front sight and rear sight not being aligned to the receiver. In some cases, the accompanying photos were so obvious that it is hard to understand how the problem escaped the notice of the buyer until after he got home with the rifle.

That's kind of discouraging. So I think that, for now, I'm just going to go with using my Gunsite Scout in that capacity, and working on load development for my .300 Blackout SBR rather than going ahead and springing for a new lever rifle. I'll put off buying a 336BL until Remington has had a few years of no complaints.......or......maybe I'll pick up a Henry eventually. But my personal "truck gun" concept requires an 18" or shorter barrel because of how I plan to keep the rifle out of sight in the vehicle when not in use........and that precludes any Henry models for now, since their rifles all have a 20" barrel or longer.

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
puma guy wrote:TAM, It looks like you've done you're homework on Marlin and their history after Remington bought them and moved the manufacture site. I haven't been on the Marlin owners forum for a while and haven't seen any feedback on this model. It appears to be similar to older models (Marauder and Trapper) that were and are still sought after. The issues with Remlins are myriad. Some say they have gotten better and others not so much. Some of the issues were ridiculous as you've probably read. I suggest you go to the Marlin owners forum. http://www.marlinowners.com/ The knowledge base is vast and there are several ex- Marlin employee members. ( Remington didn't take the Marlin employees) You'll be able to weed out the few with an ax to grind. The lever guns were the most affected by quality issues. I have purchased a couple of their post Remington .22's and they are fine. I think they're made in Kentucky. There was never quality issues at the North Haven factory prior to the sale. There are stories that quality had nosedived before Remington took over, but are unfounded. I have a couple of mid 1960's 336 Texans, both in 30-30. I wish I'd bought one in .44 Magnum.
I just did 10 minutes of research on that Marlin Owners forum, and it appears that there are still complaints about quality. The problem I kept seeing repeated was that either or both the front sight and rear sight not being aligned to the receiver. In some cases, the accompanying photos were so obvious that it is hard to understand how the problem escaped the notice of the buyer until after he got home with the rifle.

That's kind of discouraging. So I think that, for now, I'm just going to go with using my Gunsite Scout in that capacity, and working on load development for my .300 Blackout SBR rather than going ahead and springing for a new lever rifle. I'll put off buying a 336BL until Remington has had a few years of no complaints.......or......maybe I'll pick up a Henry eventually. But my personal "truck gun" concept requires an 18" or shorter barrel because of how I plan to keep the rifle out of sight in the vehicle when not in use........and that precludes any Henry models for now, since their rifles all have a 20" barrel or longer.
Can't argue with staying with the Ruger. Many Marlin enthusiasts simply wait to find a JM marked lever gun. There are several vintage short barreled models that would fit your need. The big levers are available from many sources and as you most likely are aware are easily changed out. I read recently that Remington is closing the Mayfield, KY plant. I don't know if the quality of the models made there will now suffer the same fate.

If I may offer one other suggestion you can get Marlin manufactured 336 models that were made for all the old big box retailers, i/e. Sears (Ranger, JC Higgins, Ted Williams), JC Penneys (Foremost), Wards (Hawthorn, Western Field), Western Auto (Revelation) , Otasco, Coast to Coast, etc for very reasonable cost and have the barrel shortened. Numrich has a cross index - Manufacture to store model designations.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

TAM, There's a 1963 336SC (20" bbl) w/ a Vortex CrossfireII scope for sale on Marlin Owners forum. Has some freckling/light rust issues but they'd probably clean up. He wants $575 shipped. Not exactly the BL or Marauder length 16-1/2" but does have short magazine so you could trim the barrel. link http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marli ... -30-a.html

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Not a bad looking rifle, but add in the cost of cutting down and recrowning the barrel, the cost of the lever, the cost of shipping from Vermont, and an FFL transfer fee, and it starts getting to be more than I want to pay.

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Not a bad looking rifle, but add in the cost of cutting down and recrowning the barrel, the cost of the lever, the cost of shipping from Vermont, and an FFL transfer fee, and it starts getting to be more than I want to pay.
Down to $500 shipped. I was at Cabela's today and saw a hoop lever Marlin rifle in the rack and took a look at it. It was a 1895 SBL in 45-70 not a 336BL. The sights were straight, but there was a gap between the back end of the receiver where it meets the butt stock and I could see daylight. They still need some training up in Ilion, NY. :lol:

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Not a bad looking rifle, but add in the cost of cutting down and recrowning the barrel, the cost of the lever, the cost of shipping from Vermont, and an FFL transfer fee, and it starts getting to be more than I want to pay.
Down to $500 shipped. I was at Cabela's today and saw a hoop lever Marlin rifle in the rack and took a look at it. It was a 1895 SBL in 45-70 not a 336BL. The sights were straight, but there was a gap between the back end of the receiver where it meets the butt stock and I could see daylight. They still need some training up in Ilion, NY. :lol:
The 1895 in .45-70 would be undeniably cool, but for me the caliber is a little impractical.

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
puma guy wrote:
The 1895 in .45-70 would be undeniably cool, but for me the caliber is a little impractical.
I already have a 1973 .444 Marlin, so I don't need another big bore lever gun.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”