Marlin 336BL

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 18

Re: Marlin 336BL

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Setxjeff wrote:Image
This is my truck gun 16.25 barrel 30/30 with peep sight added. Mossberg 454 Davidson brush gun.
I tried to find this one on the Mossberg website, but couldn’t. I suppose it’s a distributor special? In any case, with the exception of my Marlin’s having blued steel and an 18” barrel, these seem very similar to it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy
Posts in topic: 23

Re: Marlin 336BLrr

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Setxjeff wrote:Image
This is my truck gun 16.25 barrel 30/30 with peep sight added. Mossberg 454 Davidson brush gun.
I tried to find this one on the Mossberg website, but couldn’t. I suppose it’s a distributor special? In any case, with the exception of my Marlin’s having blued steel and an 18” barrel, these seem very similar to it.
TAM, It's listed at Gallery of Guns, but it's out of stock. Not made by Mossberg, but altered by Davidson's?? Perhaps Mossberg catalogued them at one time. Davidson's website appears to be for dealers. I've posted it as well. Perhaps your son can access it. The only change I'd make to it would be to offer it in .35 Remington, which is a better brush gun caliber in my opinion. One more thing to note. It's not Mossberg 454, but rather a Model 464.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Defa ... code=86323

http://www11.davidsonsinc.com/Login/Log ... fault.aspx

UPDATE: I contacted Mossberg and their rep said the Davidson Exclusive was manufactured for them. He stated there was a production run and an order but no info on the exact date, but they may be available again. I also noted that they make the 464 in .22 caliber and found them for about $330 at Tombstone guns. They may be a decent alternative to Marlin 39's, which are now only available from the custom shop and Henry's.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 18

Re: Marlin 336BLrr

Post by The Annoyed Man »

puma guy wrote:.... I also noted that they make the 464 in .22 caliber and found them for about $330 at Tombstone guns. They may be a decent alternative to Marlin 39's, which are now only available from the custom shop and Henry's.
I bought a .22 Henry Lever Action Octogon Rifle about 2 weeks after I bought that Marlin (I posted about it here....), and it is a dandy. I love that little rifle. First, it is drop-dead beautiful. It is also accurate as heck for an iron-sighted rifle. I also own two other .22 rifles: a M&P15-22, and a cheap Savage 64 semiauto. I can state with absolute certainty that, if I had to pick just one of them to keep for the zombie apocalypse, I’d take the Henry over the S&W, capacity notwithstanding; and I’d take it over either of the other two rifles for mechanical reliability. And actually, the Henry’s magazine tube will hold either 16 rounds of .22 LR or 21 rounds of .22 short, compared to the S&W’s 23 rounds of .22 LR, so the capacity discrepancy isn’t THAT big of a difference. Everyone knows that from not too far away, you can still pop a zombie in the head with a .22 short and kill it.....as long as it penetrates the skull. If you shoot into the eye socket, you eliminate that problem. Since zombie eyes glow in the dark, they make easy targets at night, even with iron sights. Plus, the lever action Henry is mechanically quieter than either of the other two .22s.

It’s bonafide.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Setxjeff
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Setxjeff »

Sorry for typo Model 464 I kept an eye out on gun genie for it to be restocked.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

puma guy
Posts in topic: 23

Post by puma guy »

Setxjeff wrote:Sorry for typo Model 464 I kept an eye out on gun genie for it to be restocked.
It's not on you. The OP labeled it a 454 and I didn't bother to correct him.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”