Black Powder shooting advice

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 12

Black Powder shooting advice

Post by parabelum »

For the inexperienced black powder person (me), what would your recommendations be as far as first rifle, brand of powder, grease, caps etc. I've never actually went and bought the whole setup myself from scratch.

I just have an itch to "bust a cap" 1850's style and there is an ocean of combinations out there. My question is, which setup is best?

TomV
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Black Powder shooting advice

Post by TomV »

Are you wanting something you can hunt with, or you just looking for a fun smoke pole?

Rifle or pistol?
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Great questions.

I'd like something to plink with at first, then maybe use to hunt as my proficiency gets better. I was always intrigued by the whole process of measuring your powder, greasing the ball, ramming it down, putting a cap on and squeezing the trigger, smelling the gunpowder, watching that smoke cloud etc.

I would like something bit modern, so a cap type rifle or a revolver would be awesome. There is just something very attractive about going back to the basics.

Before I spend bunch of money buying stuff I may not like, want or need, I wanted to get a feedback from those who are well versed in black powder.

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I should also mention that my wife would kill me if I spent more money on "another gun" :grumble before I either sell or trade something from my current arsenal. :waiting:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

parabelum wrote:I should also mention that my wife would kill me if I spent more money on "another gun" :grumble before I either sell or trade something from my current arsenal. :waiting:

Since Black Powder guns will almost never be on a list of prohibited firearms, tell her it's just to hedge your bets in case the election doesn't go like you want it to. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Jusme wrote:
parabelum wrote:I should also mention that my wife would kill me if I spent more money on "another gun" :grumble before I either sell or trade something from my current arsenal. :waiting:

Since Black Powder guns will almost never be on a list of prohibited firearms, tell her it's just to hedge your bets in case the election doesn't go like you want it to. :biggrinjester:
Good point. Unless of course, some lib doofus rules that Black Powder guns are "assault weapons", since after all, they have at one point been used extensively in military battles...

I could probably reload one in under 5 minutes "rlol"

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

oohrah
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oohrah »

I have several BP revolvers. Lots of fun.

You can get quality BP pistols at Cabela's brand new for far less than what you linked on gunbroker. Cabela's is also having a sale right now. You can get one model for $150. In Texas, you do not need to do a 4473 to purchase, and Cabelas can even ship direct to your home. Not plugging Cableas, just showing options. Other sources are MidwayUSA, and Dixie Gun Works.

There are also a number of YouTube videos showing how to load, etc. The best forum I've found that has a group of BP shooters is thehighroad.org. Check out the Blckpowder Forum. (See TxLobo's link)

I have a Colt 1851 Navy .36 Cal, 1851 Navy Confederate Brass .44 Cal, and a Colt 1860 Army .44 Cal, and I''m looking for a 1858 Remington Army :)

I'm in the Waco area. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oohrah »

I should also add - this a slippery slope :lol: pretty soon you'll want cowboy holsters, and doing your own balls, and caps, buying more guns. Just sayin'
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Oh, my wife will be thrilled "rlol"

I can definitely see how this little endeavor could easily morph into a slight addiction. :fire

I will definitely check out the links to to the forum and look at cabelas. I forgot that you don't need FFL with BP, so that makes it bit smoother also.

That colt navy is really nice.

Hey honey, I'm going outside to cook some led balls. :lol:: That is great.

doncb
Posts in topic: 2

Post by doncb »

Ah, the slippery slope. I started with a CVA Hawkin .50 percussion. Then came another one and then a Pennsylvania long rifle and then a flintlock and then a cap and ball .44 revolver. Yep, a slippery slope.

If you want the "true" BP experience, go with a regular percussion rifle and not an inline. If you want to get in with a lower cost and can do some light woodworking, you can get a kit rifle. That is what all of my rifles have been. I love to go to the range and fire off a few. Lots of smoke and with a 50cal you don't need a spotting scope to see where you hit. :shock: I use Pyrodex in everything but the flintlock. Cabelas carries it. Bass Pro Shops carries Goex Black Powder. Flintlocks is where you get into the finer points of blackpowder. A plus is even more smoke!

When Ive been shooting and clean my rifle I remove the barrel and the cap nipple. Submerge that end in a bucket of hot soapy water and using a cleaning rod and patch and draw the water up into the barrel and then force it back out I do that several times and then dry the barrel out and use regular cleaning methods.

Shooting BP is fun and costs a lot less than shooting a centerfire.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”