Yea, Or, nay for this rifle?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 4

Yea, Or, nay for this rifle?

Post by Beiruty »

Here is the rifle. It is build and not factory. The seller does not specify a round count.

Please if you can place a fair price, that would be helpful too.
Gunsmith built. Rifle has: Magpul UBR stock Geissele hi-speed national match DMR trigger Geissele MK8 free-float rail Wilson Combat 18" SPR barrel Noveske gen 1 lower Noveske Vltor MUR billet upper Ares Armor low-friction BCG Silencerco Omega/Specwar muzzle brake Nikon P-223 3-9x40 optic Please email with any questions. Will accept a return if the product has been misrepresented or is damaged in an unspecified way.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/593748747
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Yea, Or, nay for this rifle?

Post by drjoker »

The ad says "gunsmith built", so my answer is, "depends on the gunsmith." It is not a factory built item so there is no warranty and no guarantee of quality. I would not buy this without test firing it.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Judging from the components used to put it together, they appear to know what they were doing, so depending on the cost it could be a heck of a deal!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Asking $1,500, I would like to offer $1,200
Beiruty,

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

It should be relatively simple to search around for ball-park pricing of the individual components. Doesn't mention whether the lower is billet or not; I can't tell from the photo. And I may be off-base, but if it's a Gen 1 doesn't that make it at least four years old? Like you, I'd want to know the round count. A Wilson barrel is nothing to scoff at, but 800 rounds vs. 8,000 down the pipe makes a difference.

Last, and this is just personal opinion, but the scope mount doesn't look like a quick-release model, and the Nikon P-223 is a less-than $200 optic and there are no BUIS on the rifle. Might be fine if the rifle's sole purpose was varmint hunting, but I'd consider that combo as much of a liability as an asset. If it were me, even if I were to keep the scope I'd want to replace the mount and add BUIS and/or a 45-degree micro red-dot. So I think you'd be justified offering $300 below asking price. But even not knowing more about the lower, if the gun has been well maintained and doesn't have umpteen thousand rounds through it, it sounds like there's a lot of value there.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Skiprr wrote:It should be relatively simple to search around for ball-park pricing of the individual components. Doesn't mention whether the lower is billet or not; I can't tell from the photo. And I may be off-base, but if it's a Gen 1 doesn't that make it at least four years old? Like you, I'd want to know the round count. A Wilson barrel is nothing to scoff at, but 800 rounds vs. 8,000 down the pipe makes a difference.

Last, and this is just personal opinion, but the scope mount doesn't look like a quick-release model, and the Nikon P-223 is a less-than $200 optic and there are no BUIS on the rifle. Might be fine if the rifle's sole purpose was varmint hunting, but I'd consider that combo as much of a liability as an asset. If it were me, even if I were to keep the scope I'd want to replace the mount and add BUIS and/or a 45-degree micro red-dot. So I think you'd be justified offering $300 below asking price. But even not knowing more about the lower, if the gun has been well maintained and doesn't have umpteen thousand rounds through it, it sounds like there's a lot of value there.
Ditto what Skiprr says about pricing out the components. I'd replace that scope with a Vortex 2.5-10x32 Viper PST FFP MRAD. A fine rifle deserves a fine scope, and that particular Vortex is a dandy. I just put one on my Gunsite Scout. I think that, of all of my variable power scopes, it is by far my favorite, and I'm going to get another one some day to replace the 1-6x scope I have on my DMR rifle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The seller just balked at my offer of $1,200. Wait and see or just pass one.

I was advised to buy a JP 20" Varmint rifle or Rockriver 24" Varmint. They should supper accrate and for plinking and steel shooting at 300-500 yards they should be dead on.

After I pay my house Tax, I will have a cut of the paycheck for a new rifle. I am also trying to move out my SIG556 Swat Patrol.
Beiruty,

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Beiruty wrote:The seller just balked at my offer of $1,200. Wait and see or just pass one.

I was advised to buy a JP 20" Varmint rifle or Rockriver 24" Varmint. They should supper accrate and for plinking and steel shooting at 300-500 yards they should be dead on.

After I pay my house Tax, I will have a cut of the paycheck for a new rifle. I am also trying to move out my SIG556 Swat Patrol.
My son has a Rock River 24" varminter that will put 5 rounds into 1/4" at 100 yards. It's hard to get more accurate than that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Beiruty wrote:The seller just balked at my offer of $1,200. Wait and see or just pass one.

If I have a vote, I vote for passing on this one. :cool:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

My son has a Rock River 24" varminter that will put 5 rounds into 1/4" at 100 yards. It's hard to get more accurate than that.
Yep! Nice rifle. There is a special order from a dealer to theRRA for $1,140 for the same rifle with EOP. Tempting..

AR1555Y
RIFLE SPECIAL! 24 Inch Varmint EOP with 1:8 Twist Barrel
Specially priced for a limited time, regular shipping and handling charges will apply. Standard configuration, no subs/upgrades. No other promos or discounts apply. To purchase, see your local firearms retailer/FFL holder.
$1,140.00

Beiruty,

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”