Building my First AR-15

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Building my First AR-15

Post by Pawpaw »

remanifest wrote:After doing some research on gas systems specifically, I'm strongly considering spending little extra cash for a piston system. While I understand direct impingement works perfectly fine, and is a reliable system, the fact that my upper parts will be cleaner as a result of using a piston system is very nice.

No matter how clean I am, it will ease my mind to know that I'm putting the gases somewhere that will localize the crud, and save me time in maintenance.

Any thoughts?
If you're still willing to consider a DI upper with the front sight tower, MidwayUSA is having a Black Friday sale which includes an AR Stoner complete upper for $280.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/221905 ... _-20161121
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
remanifest
Posts in topic: 7

Post by remanifest »

Thank you all once again for the input - this has been very helpful. I'm building two twin rifles.

Today, I did an FFL transfer to pick up my first two lower receivers from Tennessee Arms Company. ATX Armory did the transfer for me, and absolutely won me as a customer in the future. If you're ever in Austin and want to meet some people who love AR-10s and AR-15s, these are your guys.

I was a little worried that they'd be offended I wasn't buying their lowers, since they manufacture, but the owner couldn't have been nicer in telling me that polymer lowers nowadays are reinforced, and are as durable as anything else on the market, and that I'd done well in choosing TN Arms. I can't speak for the quality or usage of these yet, but it's exciting to have the ball rolling, and for the one federally regulated piece to be in hand.

My next biggest quandary is whether I should stick with the 5.56/.223 NATO round, or go for the 7.62x39 round. I'll be using the rifles, primarily, at the range, as well as (hopefully) for hunting animals like deer. I know I'll need a slightly longer/stronger firing pin, a different BCG, and obviously a different barrel to facilitate the caliber and for the platform to run reliably. If I go for the piston-driven gas system, is there anything else I should consider? I'm considering round cost and ability to destroy an animal with little room for doubt.

I'm not terribly concerned about being able to pull out 1" groupings at 500 yards, though I do hope to be able to hit a 12" gong at 500 yards.
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WTR »

If you are building two rifles, why not one in .300 BLK OUT and the 223/5.56 in 223 Wylde.

Topic author
remanifest
Posts in topic: 7

Post by remanifest »

WTR wrote:If you are building two rifles, why not one in .300 BLK OUT and the 223/5.56 in 223 Wylde.
The round cost of .300 AAC Blackout is way too high for me.
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising

Jeff B.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jeff B. »

I'll throw in something else.

You can build a basic AR and have a great deal of fun with it.

No chrome barrel? Clean it every shooting as you should.

Once you build one and play with it, you'll come back for more.

Jeff B.h
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”