M1 Garand, help

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Lena
Posts in topic: 3

M1 Garand, help

Post by Lena »

Thinking of selling my Garand to a friend how would be the best way to arrive at a price for it with all the accessories?
SA 52 vintage, unfired when I got it, it would go 98%+ now. I have had it close to 40 years.
Extra fitted stock, front wood, gas cylinder lock, trigger group, extractors, firing pins, sling, original everything cleaning kit, tools, gages, many other items included. All original web gear and ball, tracer, ap, match, both types of blanks, flares, launcher, most ammo in Garand clips all military issue, I do not have any idea how to price ammo, all is original no foreign stuff, rifle has no import or CMP markings, never refinished all parts original to it. Field, tech, armors manuals. I would not wish to split any of it.
Stay Safe

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: M1 Garand, help

Post by C-dub »

I'll give you $50 for that piece of junk.

But seriously, whoa! I only have one so far and it pales in comparison to your description of yours. I can't wait to hear what someone who knows more thinks yours would be worth and all the extras.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by howdy »

Go to the CMP forum and ask them. They are the M1 experts. Also, look at their auction prices.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

Easily $1,500, likely $2,000 or more. How much ammo do you have?

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

howdy wrote:Go to the CMP forum and ask them. They are the M1 experts. Also, look at their auction prices.
Second.

I'm far from an expert on the Garand, and would say that your collection of gear and the condition of your rifle makes the package unique and very likely, more valuable than it would alone.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Topic author
Lena

Post by Lena »

I do not have an exact count on ammo yet, most was bought and traded for at Camp Perry years ago and Sarco and is still in the original cans/cases/bandoliers/ in Garand clips except the tracers and match. no foreign ammo at all. It probably would last my friend the rest of his life. I just had not thought of parting with it until yesterday. He offered $1000 for the rifle alone was the 1st offer. I will take the buyer to my range to fire it prior to sale. I wish to be fair but I do know that this is a 1 time find for someone that could not be replaced it is the last 06 I own so all or none.

In the future I possibly may part with my Rock Ola M1 Carbine & US&S 1911, it is still in the original Kraft box.
Selling for health reasons with no family.
Stay Safe

Weg

Post by Weg »

Based on your description, I would compare that to what the CMP calls the " Special Grade", those are going for $1250.00 right now. Then you have to price in all the ammo and accessories, the gentleman that said $1,500 to $2,000 had it about right.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

CMP is currently sold out of ALL grades of M-1 Garands EXCEPT their special and sniper grades. The Specials (which I would believe your's easily falls into) start at $1030. As for the markings, because they were not imported (even the ones RETURNED from allies--they were returned, not imported), I have never seen any markings on a CMP rifle other than the original factory and Army markings (and I have CMP Garands, Carbines, 1903s and 1903A3s). You can also look at the CMP sales site to get an idea on the ammo. As for the Rock-Ola Carbine and US&S 1911, you might try checking out some of the C&R web sites such as Parallax Bills or some of the specialty collectors sites. There is a short article in the current American Rifleman about a US&S 1911. Good luck with the sales and sorry to hear about the health problems.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by howdy »

You really need to get an expert to look at it. I can say up front that $1000 is WAY too low. Most rifles have been arsenal reworked or rebuilt by CMP and have a mix match of parts. They call it a SA or H&R based on the receiver. Every now and then the CMP will auction off a rifle that is still in the original wrapper and covered in cosmoline. These rifles will go for $6000+.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Lena, I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. It sounds like you've got a real "once in a lifetime" opportunity for some buyer, so I wouldn't squander it. If your friend is a real friend, he'll be willing to pay the actual value of the total package rather than taking advantage of your need at this point in time and paying a deflated price.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Lena, I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. It sounds like you've got a real "once in a lifetime" opportunity for some buyer, so I wouldn't squander it. If your friend is a real friend, he'll be willing to pay the actual value of the total package rather than taking advantage of your need at this point in time and paying a deflated price.
:iagree:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Lena

Post by Lena »

I remember the day I got the M1 it was in a silver foil sealed bag very greasy there was a small square hole cut in the bag over the rear of the receiver to identify the Maker and SN #, I unwrapped it and cleaned on it all weekend. Then headed to the deer lease with it.

A fond memory with this M1 was they day I got invited back to Ft Hood to attend a class from a Major friend of mine over AMU, I spent the night in his home the day before the class and he said to bring the M1, and he said let me have it to take on base, after the classes we went to the ranges and I got to fire 3 grenades off it, never have I ever felt the recoil of a shoulder fired grenade had set on max. Just a fond memory now.
Stay Safe

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

when you want to give the Rock Ola a new home, holler at me. I almost bought one three or four years ago but didn't...wished I had now...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”